Infotainment screen issue

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Paul237
New
Drives: MK10

Infotainment screen issue

Post by Paul237 »

I got a MK10 SE Polo in September last year and recently noticed an issue with the screen on the Infotainment system. There's a slight black line towards the right of the display. I use Apple CarPlay and first noticed it because it runs down the middle of the fourth row of the app icons.

It's not a heavy black line and sometimes it's more visible than other times. In the last few days it's been visible in the morning but not in the afternoon/evening.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar? I've got it booked in for the parking brake product recall in a week, so I thought I'd mention it to the dealer then. If the screen is faulty, would they replace it under warranty, or are they likely to come up with some excuse?
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Re: Infotainment screen issue

Post by MattHGR »

This issue has come up more than once before.
Should be replaced under warranty no fuss
Paul237
New
Drives: MK10

Post by Paul237 »

Thanks for the reply. That sounds promising. I wonder what causes it?

They fobbed me off on my last car that had a seatbelt issue because they claimed not to be able to replicate the fault. So I'm hoping they don't try the same excuse with the screen!
antz81
New
Drives: 2018 1.0TSI 5spd

Post by antz81 »

Sounds like it goes away sometimes like mine was. First time they looked at it it wouldn't show up so they told me to take a photo next time I see it.
Next time I was in I showed the photo and they got the screen replaced that day.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Sounds like a line of dead or dying pixels.

For me, I had my second bout of blank screen this morning, with just the warning triangle and engine management/emissions control warning lights on at the bottom corners of the screen (adjacent to the screen corners, not actually on the screen). I suspect these were only on because they flick on for start up and then go out when the screen comes on. It was off for the whole short journey to drop kids at out of school club. It came back next ignition cycle.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

3rd time I've had no digital cockpit screen now, but it wasn't so intermittent today. Didn't have to drop the kids off, so straight to work. Start the car and I have no screen. I have the ambient lighting of the 2 curved gauges that frame the screen. Water temp gauge indicating 90C (4 bars lit) from cold. Although I know I have 1/2 a tank of fuel, fuel gauge is lit with 1 red bar, as if the car's empty. I have a red triangle with an exclamation mark below the water temp gauge and a yellow engine management light on. They appear initially every time you turn the ignition on, and then go out when the screen comes on. Without the screen on, they stay lit.

I drive a mile up the road, pull over in a housing estate, ignition off, car door open then closed and turn the ignition on again. Still blank screen with the warning lights, but car is driving normally. Onto the dual carriageway and while stopped at lights 3 miles later, put in park mode, ignition off, open and close car, start up again...everything still as it was.

I notice in the various "CAR" screens selectable on the radio unit that no info pertaining to fuel usage is present - mpg in blue trainer is blank (although I have a score of 98), in "Since start" screen, it can neither tell me my mpg, nor distance travelled.

Finally, stuck at lights briefly, 7 miles into my journey, I do the ignition off/door open thing again, and the digital cockpit is back. I can now see distance and mpg for the journey, not only in the digital cockpit screen, but in the "CAR" screens of the radio unit also. It seems then that although calculations were being done the whole time, while the screen was blank, the results were not being shared with whatever outputs onto the screen of the radio unit. Ambient temp was 9C when this happened.

Its booked in with the nearest decent dealership for warranty work. I checked with the one 2 miles from my place of employment, but their terms are ridiculous -

Want a lift to work that's no more than 1.5 miles? That's a standard £15 for drop-off and pick up.

Want a courtesy car? That's £12.50 "admin fee," per day + £4.50 a day to use their insurance. s**t! That's not a "free" courtesy car, that's a hire car. If that was a genuine admin fee then I'd be charged just once, no matter how long I need the courtesy car. They'll give me an UP! My local enterprise will rent me one for £19 a day, and they're not kidding anyone that it's anything other than a rental.

A few years ago all this was at no cost for a warranty claim. Now they want your eyes out because your car is getting warranty work to fix something that's VW's fault.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Does your dealer not do a pick up/collect service for the car?
Not you, the car.
Our one will collect the car from my work and drop off again FOC.
I'm a good 8-9 miles away.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:35 pm Does your dealer not do a pick up/collect service for the car?
Not you, the car.
Our one will collect the car from my work and drop off again FOC.
I'm a good 8-9 miles away.
Sunderland Pulman does. They're about 9 miles from home, but about 20 miles from work. Handy if I'm off anyway (but I need to try and keep my holidays for actually going on holiday or cover some of the kids holidays). I don't think they'd come 20 miles for my car.

I do have a Lookers VW very close to home and another very close to work, but they're awful to deal with (they are the bunch described above with the big charges for courtesy cars) - Pulman are worth going the distance for. I think I'll just have to pay a fiver once to get on their insurance for however long it takes.

In other news - starting the car to come home tonight, screen is blank again, but petrol gauge was displaying correctly. Then the screen came on about 10 seconds later.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Surely it is time for VW Group to demand that all their franchises adhere to all the basic group of "benefits" - I had that trouble, though out with warranty with Audi on the Audi UK website, where you get diverted to, there is an all singing and dancing statement of "why you should stay within the dealership service circle and what you get for doing that" - then you start to use the breadth and width of what is said to be available - and it all falls apart as my local dealership does not appear to offer all that is being offered, then when "face to facing" them and reading the riot act all you get is stunned amazement and "well what do you want us to do?" said in a very annoyed tone - when all I want is for them to operate in a manner that Audi UK sys they do! Worse than that, Audi dealers have jumped to the top position in JDP survey as they have changed how they interact with customers, VW too has come up the rankings for the same reason.

I'm lucky in as much that either I had personally imported new cars in the past so felt like I had no right to expect to get good treatment while I was working, or now I am retired so managed to live with dealing with warranty work on cars bought from local dealers - if I had to handle that crap while I was still working, I'd be less than amused at needing to use up annual leave on dealing with VW's design/manufacture mess ups - which is probably why I still, where possible, as long as I think I am not making trouble for myself, sort out small issues without contacting my dealer. I used to get a bit of lip from Ford parts guys when getting them to order in replacement parts for a car that was less than a year old - but while I was working it was my best way of dealing with things.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:26 pm I'm lucky in as much that either I had personally imported new cars in the past so felt like I had no right to expect to get good treatment
I imported my Alfa 156 from Ireland, much better spec and availability than UK.
I expected service from the dealer to be a bit sniffy, but they were perfectly fine.
Service manager said they billed Alfa UK for warranty work at the same rate, regardless of where the car came from, so no skin off their nose that I didn't buy it from them.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

With the pound the way it is and Irish Car prices as high as they are, there's no scope to buy from there now.

Malta may still be worthwhile. My Dad got an auto MK4 Golf 1.9TDI 130 from somewhere that imported from Malta - everything that the UK spec had, except foglights. At the time the UK only had that engine with that gearbox on the estate, not the hatchback. Only came with 2 years warranty as year 3 is UK dealer supplied on a UK car.

Today my display was on for the mile run to school, then was off from school to work.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:26 pm Surely it is time for VW Group to demand that all their franchises adhere to all the basic group of "benefits" - I had that trouble, though out with warranty with Audi on the Audi UK website, where you get diverted to, there is an all singing and dancing statement of "why you should stay within the dealership service circle and what you get for doing that" - then you start to use the breadth and width of what is said to be available - and it all falls apart as my local dealership does not appear to offer all that is being offered, then when "face to facing" them and reading the riot act all you get is stunned amazement and "well what do you want us to do?" said in a very annoyed tone - when all I want is for them to operate in a manner that Audi UK sys they do! Worse than that, Audi dealers have jumped to the top position in JDP survey as they have changed how they interact with customers, VW too has come up the rankings for the same reason.

I'm lucky in as much that either I had personally imported new cars in the past so felt like I had no right to expect to get good treatment while I was working, or now I am retired so managed to live with dealing with warranty work on cars bought from local dealers - if I had to handle that crap while I was still working, I'd be less than amused at needing to use up annual leave on dealing with VW's design/manufacture mess ups - which is probably why I still, where possible, as long as I think I am not making trouble for myself, sort out small issues without contacting my dealer. I used to get a bit of lip from Ford parts guys when getting them to order in replacement parts for a car that was less than a year old - but while I was working it was my best way of dealing with things.
Yep, it is a s**t situation- - to be inconvenienced for repairs that are not you fault (warranty) is one thing, but to then mug you for an extra £18 a day while in a courtesy car is another thing entirely.

The dealerships should be obliged to carry a certain size fleet of courtesy cars, and compensated by VW UK for having to do so when being used for remedial warranty work. Lookers Audi just 200 yards from their VW dealership at Silverlink still seem to offer free courtesy cars, and porcelain coffee cups for the coffee machine rather than plastic cups. You can also still buy factory warranty extensions for Audis - if there hadn't been £4.5k between the Polo GTI+ and an equivalent specced Audi A1 with the same engine, I might have been tempted to get one of those rather than a second GTI+.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Big shout out to my dealership, Windrush in Maidenhead, my car went in for what I thought was a minor rattle / trim issue and they ended up having the car for over 2 weeks. The issue was fixed under warranty and for the duration I had a nearly new Polo SE loan car. All done free of charge.

I have had nothing but great service from both sales and after sales.
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

roywolfey wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:56 pm Big shout out to my dealership, Windrush in Maidenhead, my car went in for what I thought was a minor rattle / trim issue and they ended up having the car for over 2 weeks. The issue was fixed under warranty and for the duration I had a nearly new Polo SE loan car. All done free of charge.

I have had nothing but great service from both sales and after sales.
My local too, they are generally pretty good.
The delay to mine being delivered is out of their hands but the rep there does return calls or makes an effort to give updates when he has a spare moment.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Something that's always bothered me about dealers....
Perfect example a few weeks back, when one of my headlights misted over and they approved a warranty replacement.
They made me wait for a replacement headlight to come into stock, all the time driving around with a headlight like a sauna window, while the carpark is literally full of Polos.
Would it have killed them to cannibalise another car to get me sorted and then sort that car out later? :?:
The same could apply to infotainment systems, although maybe they're more 'linked' to a particular car than I realise (doubt it)