Anyone had forced GPF regens yet?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Metman888
New
Drives: 2022 Polo GTi

Re: Anyone had forced GPF regens yet?

Post by Metman888 »

Pretty sure I had a forced regen the other night coming home from work. Same journey, same traffic as usual but got over 10 mpg less. Apart from the mpg figure I also had the louder exhaust note for 10-15 min. Whats surprising is most of my mileage is motorway based. My commute is 20 miles each way, 15 of which is motorway. I also went up the Fort William a couple of months ago so it's not like the car doesn't get a run, infact there's hardly any short journeys in there. Oddly enough the mileage was almost exactly on 4000 miles and the car was 6 months old from the day I collected it.

I don't however use my car everyday, I use public transport a lot and it's not unusual for my car not to move for a week at a time. Saying that if the engines not running it's not clogging up the filter.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Metman888 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:36 am Pretty sure I had a forced regen the other night coming home from work. Same journey, same traffic as usual but got over 10 mpg less. Apart from the mpg figure I also had the louder exhaust note for 10-15 min. Whats surprising is most of my mileage is motorway based. My commute is 20 miles each way, 15 of which is motorway. I also went up the Fort William a couple of months ago so it's not like the car doesn't get a run, infact there's hardly any short journeys in there. Oddly enough the mileage was almost exactly on 4000 miles and the car was 6 months old from the day I collected it.

I don't however use my car everyday, I use public transport a lot and it's not unusual for my car not to move for a week at a time. Saying that if the engines not running it's not clogging up the filter.
Does sound like a forced regen. My driving is also mainly longer (25-30 miles or more) journeys, as I don’t use my car locally if where I want to go is walkable - better for me and for the environment 🙂. I also use public transport if I need to go into the local city (around seven miles from where I live) as parking’s a nightmare and expensive.

When my car had its last forced regen, I initially thought I had the engine sound in sport mode (I’d been playing with the different modes a couple of days earlier) but it was the fake engine noise / soundaktor I was hearing 🤣.
Damon
New
Drives: 2010 Polo Moda 64

Post by Damon »

Hope this is allowed but was a former MK5 Polo Owner :D

Stayed within VAG group have a 2019 1.5 Leon FR DADA doles any know if this has a particle filter?

Have really bad MPG and don’t understand why as have had major service.

Have OBDeleven when searching particle filter there nothing about Regen but other stuff about soot.

So does that mean it does or it doesn’t?

Anyway of checking for sure
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Damon wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:14 pm Hope this is allowed but was a former MK5 Polo Owner :D

Stayed within VAG group have a 2019 1.5 Leon FR EA211 doles any know if this has a particle filter?

Have really bad MPG and don’t understand why as have had major serviceZ
The articles at the links below suggest your car will have a GPF as VAG stated back in 2016 that they would be fitting Gasoline Particulate Filters to all direct injection petrol TSI and TFSI engines from 2017.

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/ ... gines-1567

https://fleetworld.co.uk/vw-group-fit-p ... ters-2017/

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswage ... ol-engines

As for your mpg; it’s only during the forced GPF regeneration process that the fuel consumption suffers compared to the ‘normal’ mpg as additional fuel is used to help burn off accumulated soot in the particulate filter during the regeneration. Based on my personal experience, a forced regeneration with my VW takes around 30 minutes to complete. Therefore, if you’re experiencing a general deterioration in mpg then it’s likely to be due to other factors, especially if your car’s not displaying any other the other symptoms that indicate a forced regeneration is taking place;
  • are you relying on the car’s fuel computer for your fuel consumption figures or are you calculating your mpg manually? If the former, it would be worth calculating it manually over a few months.
  • have you switched fuel brands?
  • has your mix journey type changed? e.g. are you doing more short journeys at peak times and fewer longer journeys?
  • are you driving more short journeys on cold engine than you were previously?
  • do other drivers use your car? If so, are they driving it more frequently than previously?
  • are your tyres at the correct pressure?
  • have you recently changed your tyres to a different brand with a poorer fuel economy rating?
  • I’ve read that in addition to there being summer and winter blends of diesel, there are also summer and winter blends of petrol. Winter blend fuels are usually sold from mid November to mid March. With diesel, using winter blend fuel results in poorer mpg; maybe the same is also the case with winter petrol?
Damon
New
Drives: 2010 Polo Moda 64

Post by Damon »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:47 pm
Damon wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:14 pm Hope this is allowed but was a former MK5 Polo Owner :D

Stayed within VAG group have a 2019 1.5 Leon FR EA211 doles any know if this has a particle filter?

Have really bad MPG and don’t understand why as have had major serviceZ
The articles at the links below suggest your car will have a GPF as VAG stated back in 2016 that they would be fitting Gasoline Particulate Filters to all direct injection petrol TSI and TFSI engines from 2017.

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/ ... gines-1567

https://fleetworld.co.uk/vw-group-fit-p ... ters-2017/

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswage ... ol-engines

As for your mpg; it’s only during the forced GPF regeneration process that the fuel consumption suffers compared to the ‘normal’ mpg as additional fuel is used to help burn off accumulated soot in the particulate filter during the regeneration. Based on my personal experience, a forced regeneration with my VW takes around 30 minutes to complete. Therefore, if you’re experiencing a general deterioration in mpg then it’s likely to be due to other factors, especially if your car’s not displaying any other the other symptoms that indicate a forced regeneration is taking place;
  • are you relying on the car’s fuel computer for your fuel consumption figures or are you calculating your mpg manually? If the former, it would be worth calculating it manually over a few months.
  • have you switched fuel brands?
  • has your mix journey type changed? e.g. are you doing more short journeys at peak times and fewer longer journeys?
  • are you driving more short journeys on cold engine than you were previously?
  • do other drivers use your car? If so, are they driving it more frequently than previously?
  • are your tyres at the correct pressure?
  • have you recently changed your tyres to a different brand with a poorer fuel economy rating?
  • I’ve read that in addition to there being summer and winter blends of diesel, there are also summer and winter blends of petrol. Winter blend fuels are usually sold from mid November to mid March. With diesel, using winter blend fuel results in poorer mpg; maybe the same is also the case with winter petrol?

Hey thanks for getting back to me, appreciate it.

Hmm not sure then, I’ve had the car around 6 months now and experienced relatively underwelming/poor MPG from day one. Should’ve just returned but thought I’d see it through thinking it’s because I’ve got a new car that may have been sat undriven for months, just need some time to break in.

I’ve calculated manually here and there not consistently admittedly, didn’t seem too different to what the computer was reading. But started to track again tank to tank using an app last week. So will have to wait and see.

I’ve tried different fuel brands Tesco Momentum, Supermarket, Costco etc. Doesn’t seem to much in it for difference tbh.
Probably getting on average 320ish miles from a full tank and according to the trip computer that I’ve reset previously, my average over last 2000miles is about 28MPg.
I’ve seen people with Cupras get better.

My journeys have been a mixture of short and long journeys, but I do like to take my car down the motorway every so often when I’m mainly doing short. To give it a run and to see what I can squeeze out of it

Nobody else drives my car just me :lol:

Tyres have been the same since I bought it maybe something I should look into not sure of the brand will check tomorrow

I know typically fuel economy worsens in winter but can’t figure out why mines so bad when I check owner groups and people with the same model easily seeing 40+ and I’m struggling to get low 30s even on a long run.

Thought a major service might have done the trick but nothings changed, car does seem a bit smoother but fuel wise nah

What’s the best way to force a regen? Just so I can at least rule that out.

Took from screenshots last week from OBDeleven live data on engine block, after seeing this thread, not sure if it means much. Not exactly sure what I’m looking for and was taken shortly after starting car hadn’t driven it.

Been to a Main dealer about this fuel economy issue but seems they won’t investigate if they don’t see any fault codes which is annoying.
Definitely something wrong here what it is I don’t know.
Attachments
83FEDC47-DE1A-4516-8A4C-1B31EFC6F5F2.png
83FEDC47-DE1A-4516-8A4C-1B31EFC6F5F2.png (200.41 KiB) Viewed 751 times
3255E26B-A945-4F57-B46E-BD644E3AEB7A.png
3255E26B-A945-4F57-B46E-BD644E3AEB7A.png (217.57 KiB) Viewed 751 times
157563B4-819C-4942-A166-AE54F67F62A3.png
157563B4-819C-4942-A166-AE54F67F62A3.png (217.98 KiB) Viewed 751 times
52F9B28C-B026-4D36-B8D2-CA153F46EDF3.png
52F9B28C-B026-4D36-B8D2-CA153F46EDF3.png (205.98 KiB) Viewed 751 times
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

I’m had a 25-30 mile journey in torrential rain last night (I don’t find driving in those conditions after dark with no street lighting and lots of standing water where you can’t see the road markings much fun), and my GTI+ decided it was time to perform a GPF regeneration.

It’s a journey I make fairly regularly and under normal conditions my fuel consumption would be 40-45mpg but because of the regen, I watched it drop down to 31mpg 😮. Also, because of the atrocious weather, driving anything approaching the speed limit or overtaking was a definite no-no, and I found myself driving at a speed and within a rev range where the louder, really droney (is that a word?) exhaust note during the regen process was at its most pronounced. All in all, the droning exhaust, slight hesitancy of the engine and torrential rain made for a really unpleasant journey.

Fortunately, the regen process completed just before a got home, so I don’t need to take the car out this morning for it to finish the job.