Anyone had forced GPF regens yet?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Re: Anyone had forced GPF regens yet?

Post by Griff74 »

ryanponti wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:55 am What sort of mileage are people doing each day that are experiencing the GPF issues?
Mine had been about 2 months worth of sub 3 mile journeys, not good for any ICE car tbf, let alone one with a GPF!
Griff74
Silver Member

Post by Griff74 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:59 am ^ 27mpg from 40mpg when doing a regen? That proportionality fits in with my wife's 20mpg from 30.

I just don't get how a forced regen could be that thirsty. Diesel forced regens hit your fuel economy by 10%, not 33%. I'm trying to imagine a third of a gallon of petrol being ignited in the exhaust every 27 miles whilst regenning to get the temp up beyond normal - the exhaust must be glowing!

Out in the wife's car today - hard to believe the difference between the 2 cars, mine is way more responsive and feels at least 10% more powerful for having no PPF considerations engineered in.
One thing I did notice on Sunday and Yesterday morning is the car got up to normal operating temp (collant wise) in a matter of minutes, going to Sainsburys on Sunday it reached 90c coolant in a couple of minutes\less than a mile, where it is normally a good 2.5 miles to do so, I assume due to all the fuel being dumped in to the exhaust.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

ryanponti wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:19 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:00 am
ryanponti wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:55 am What sort of mileage are people doing each day that are experiencing the GPF issues?
Depends what they normally get. Mine and Griff's experiences seem to be that you'll get 2/3 of your normal mpg - very noticeable!
Sorry i meant in terms of how many miles each day commuting rather than MPG, just trying to figure out if i'm going to have to make special drives out at the weekend.
My wife has an 8 mile each way commute on uncluttered roads (due to working 7am to 2:30pm) - not a hugely short journey, one I thought would be covered with passive regens. It is the only one she's had so far in about 4k miles since new. The regen coincided with temperatures of only a few degrees - probably coincidence.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Just hit 4k miles on mine.

9 mile stop start traffic each way, 5 days a week.
Not noticed a forced regen yet, but I'm probably due one soon I imagine ?

I do take it out for an hour every other weekend just for a bit of fun, so maybe this has helped with a bit of passive regen

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Griff74
Silver Member

Post by Griff74 »

MattHGR wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:26 pm Just hit 4k miles on mine.

9 mile stop start traffic each way, 5 days a week.
Not noticed a forced regen yet, but I'm probably due one soon I imagine ?

I do take it out for an hour every other weekend just for a bit of fun, so maybe this has helped with a bit of passive regen

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk
9 miles is a good distance to get the GPF nice and hot, plus with your regular blasts out I suspect you should be ok. From what I have read on GPF's the passive regen needs plenty of heat and a lot of over runs (lifting off the throttle at decent RPM's), it is that which sucks air back up the exhaust and causes the soot to burn off.
ryanponti
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by ryanponti »

My work commute is 8.5 miles each way, of which the drive home is usually more enthusiastic so hoping i will be ok. If not its an excuse to go for a weekend blast!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Think this started on my GTI today.

Morning commute to work is only 3 miles. The car seemed a lot louder than normal and a lot more 'jumpy' as if it couldn't decide what gear to be in. Also noticed a bit of a weird smell when I parked up at work and the fans were pretty loud.

Going to take it on a good drive tomorrow and hopefully it sorts itself out.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

S_94 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:26 pm Think this started on my GTI today.

Morning commute to work is only 3 miles. The car seemed a lot louder than normal and a lot more 'jumpy' as if it couldn't decide what gear to be in. Also noticed a bit of a weird smell when I parked up at work and the fans were pretty loud.

Going to take it on a good drive tomorrow and hopefully it sorts itself out.
Yup, that sounds a lot like what mine went through. Make sure to give it the beans a couple of times during your outing. Thats seems to have cleared mine up.
Gueron
New
Drives: Polo 1.0tsi 95hp

Post by Gueron »

I am sure I am in forced regen on my 1.0tsi 95hp polo.

Started 3 weeks ago with about 7200kms on the clock. I do mostly short town trips but still have been getting
over 60mpg (average for full 7200kms) until now.

Regen is still active ! I have done more than 500 miles in this condition. Fuel consumption is 20% higher.
I have done many longer drives. I follow dashoard change down indicator. Use the cruise control more.
I see the car running rich and lean per instantaneous fuel consumption and feel it ramping.
Did a couple of 10 to 20 mile motorway spins. Left the engine running at home for 1/2 hour after one trip,
as per recommendation from garage friend.

I called VW (here in France) to ask if this was normal - incompetent person told me take it to the garage,
and could not help.

Took it to the VW garage yesterday. A real waste of time. They did not know that the 1.0tsi had gpf fitted.
Said I probably had a problem with engine idle speed.. Had the car for an hour including a drive around the
block using lots of petrol, but did not even bother trying to get a readout of the gpf soot level via ODB.

I wonder whether some of particles are coming from outside air, lots of chimney fire from people burning
wood here ??

Clearly gpf regeneration is different from diesel (had on previous cars). Normal diesel engine runs with
excess air so always oygen in exhaust to burn off particles. Petrol normally runs stoeichometric so no
oxygen left, hence engine management very different to burn off.

I am at a loss to what to try now. Doing lots of driving just to put miles on the clock and burn petrol
without knowing whether it helps does not make sense. I need some meaningful feedback....
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd ignore the thoughts about external extra air borne particles from more wood burning fires being used right now. - that would just be "fuel" for your incompetent VW garage workshop!
Griff74
Silver Member

Post by Griff74 »

Gueron wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:43 am I am sure I am in forced regen on my 1.0tsi 95hp polo.

Started 3 weeks ago with about 7200kms on the clock. I do mostly short town trips but still have been getting
over 60mpg (average for full 7200kms) until now.

Regen is still active ! I have done more than 500 miles in this condition. Fuel consumption is 20% higher.
I have done many longer drives. I follow dashoard change down indicator. Use the cruise control more.
I see the car running rich and lean per instantaneous fuel consumption and feel it ramping.
Did a couple of 10 to 20 mile motorway spins. Left the engine running at home for 1/2 hour after one trip,
as per recommendation from garage friend.

I called VW (here in France) to ask if this was normal - incompetent person told me take it to the garage,
and could not help.

Took it to the VW garage yesterday. A real waste of time. They did not know that the 1.0tsi had gpf fitted.
Said I probably had a problem with engine idle speed.. Had the car for an hour including a drive around the
block using lots of petrol, but did not even bother trying to get a readout of the gpf soot level via ODB.

I wonder whether some of particles are coming from outside air, lots of chimney fire from people burning
wood here ??

Clearly gpf regeneration is different from diesel (had on previous cars). Normal diesel engine runs with
excess air so always oygen in exhaust to burn off particles. Petrol normally runs stoeichometric so no
oxygen left, hence engine management very different to burn off.

I am at a loss to what to try now. Doing lots of driving just to put miles on the clock and burn petrol
without knowing whether it helps does not make sense. I need some meaningful feedback....
You need to take it for a decent hard run on fast and bendy roads, get it really hot running up through the gears and then use engine braking a lot so air is sucked back in the exhaust on the over run, this is what clears GPFs. Try and avoid top gear, run it up speed and then take you foot off the throttle, do that for 20-30 mins should burn off the soot. If it doesn't there may be a fault and I'd recommend trying a different VW dealer.
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Post by monty831 »

Just wanted to add my GTI+ has reached 2k miles this week. Just filled up a full tank of BP 95.

Engine today didn't feel smooth whilst driving today and fuel consumption for same route to work was down to under 30mpg. Normally get mid to high 30s

When I arrived at work there was a burning smell. It's the same type of smell I got from my Leon FR TDI when the engine was running an active regen of the DPF

Exhaust sounded a lot louder too

Reading the posts above (very helpful BTW), it does seem a regen was taking place

First time this has happened

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Gueron
New

Post by Gueron »

I drove the car 100 miles to a more major garage thursday, in Dijon.

Initially the service reception were quite unreceptive of my detailed explanations, had not seen any petrol engines with particle filters, etc. Also would not do a customer requested forced regen if the dashboard light (take to service) was not lit.

They had the car from late morning to 17.30H. Apparently found an "intermittent fault" but could not be more specific or useful. But this required a forced regen ! So left with a car that felt like it was new again and work done under guarantee.

So takeaway is if the car is in regen mode for more than say 100kms there is likely to be a problem and needs sorting - mine was like that for 1400kms, and I probably used an extra 14 litres of fuel during that time.

I reckon the technology is still too new on petrol engines that the software is sufficiently robust to cope with all types of driving conditions. At the same time the garage said they did not reprogram anything.. but I did not get to speak with the mechanic that worked on the car.
Gueron
New

Post by Gueron »

Oh and also, during the past week I tried to see whether I could get some visibility on soot levels in the particle file via odb2. I have an old vcds cable and PC software and recently bought a Carista bluetooth adaptor.

I can read out the car status with VCDS with no errors but dont have the code for security access to the engine control unit to get the filter data. I found an android app VAG DPF, that is intended for diesel particle filters. I was able to connect to my Carista dongle (elm327 compatible) and it was able to read the engine type and code. It also gave me a 1.7g soot level but I have no idea whether this number makes any sense, or calculated based on a diesel engine data.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else could get a readout to compare ?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Gueron wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:23 am I drove the car 100 miles to a more major garage thursday, in Dijon.

Initially the service reception were quite unreceptive of my detailed explanations, had not seen any petrol engines with particle filters, etc. Also would not do a customer requested forced regen if the dashboard light (take to service) was not lit.

They had the car from late morning to 17.30H. Apparently found an "intermittent fault" but could not be more specific or useful. But this required a forced regen ! So left with a car that felt like it was new again and work done under guarantee.

So takeaway is if the car is in regen mode for more than say 100kms there is likely to be a problem and needs sorting - mine was like that for 1400kms, and I probably used an extra 14 litres of fuel during that time.

I reckon the technology is still too new on petrol engines that the software is sufficiently robust to cope with all types of driving conditions. At the same time the garage said they did not reprogram anything.. but I did not get to speak with the mechanic that worked on the car.
I do wonder if the software is fully developed, with all the kinks ironed out.

I was an early adopter of DPF. My Dad bought a new 170TDI PD Golf GT (MK5) in Oct 2006. His was a DSG and he had no bother with it in 145k miles.

6 months later, I bought almost the same car, but a manual - 170TDI PD Golf GT Sport (MK5). I immediately had DPF issues. I wasn't doing short journeys but it was regenning all the time. They initially checked the injectors for leaks and found nothing but a tiny burr in the cylinder head. They replaced the cylinder head and a week later the regens were back. Only then did they consult VW central and a software fix had just been developed - that fixed my issues.

So then, it seems VW released a car where the DSG version was fine, the manual version wasn't. It happens.