Valver on the loose - brought back from the dead.

Chat about your MKIV (6N) Polo
CiderPolo
New
Drives: 1999 Polo 6n 1.4 16V 100 AFH & '96 1.4CL

Valver on the loose - brought back from the dead.

Post by CiderPolo »

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a 1999 6n 1.4 16v 100hp polo, with AFH engine. 76k miles seemingly genuine.
THanks to your excellent resource (and others too on the internet) I was able to turn a very ill car into one that is already showing signs of promise.

Of course the engine was warm when I arrived at the vendor's place, even though I was the first to see it... Wise to the oldest ones in the book I naively pressed on, hoping it wasn't too serious. NO mayo under the oil filler in the rocker cover, which was good, and the body and rest of car in good clean condition except for an obvious accident damage to front offside wing.

Anyway, bought it for £230 and drove it home (why oh why do we now have to buy the effing tax separate from the car, and not just with it???.... FFS)
Clutch on the way out, for sure, but gearbox seemed ok without too many rattles.
Used a gallon of fuel to cover 25 miles (and I was driving like my mum). Meh.

Next morning wouldn't start without throttle and no cold idle capability without throttle intervention. What a surprise!

In order to get the motor running half deccently again I did the following:
Replaced the engine coolant temperature sensor (357 919 501) - easy to do with distributor off. Pliers are useful to withdraw the old clip, my fingers are too stubby.
Replaced 4 spark plugs. (16mm socket, 14mm thread, 19mm length)
Replaced spark plug and coil pack leads. (036 905 409 K)
Replaced distributor cap and rotor (from donor car)
Change oil and filter (10-40 SAE Synthetic)
I tried to remove the MAP sensor (036 906 051) but without taking off the inlet manifold (I didn't have any spare gaskets to replace) I couldn't get the second screw out, so MAP still filthy and probably the orignal 20 yr old part. it's a TORX20 tool you need by the way.
The hardest thing to do was the remove the oil separator on the block behind the engine - access with a 5mm hex key from under the car (wait for exhaust downpipe to cool!). Three bolts come out, to leave the separator removable. It was full of water!! and also a lot of crap came out as I rinsed it in paraffin. Most importantly the narrow passage draining back to the sump in the block was blocked (I guess that's what there was so much water from the separator in my mouth, and so much oil in the airbox) and I cleared that using a length of silicone vacuum hosing (3mm inner diameter).
I replaced all the narrow diameter vacuum pipes to the EGR and so on as well, with snazzy* red silicone tubing (4 mm inner diameter) - the previous ones were original and one was badly perished and definitely leaking. (Source of hearvy fuel consumption I suspect).

Mechanic pal plugged it in and said the throttle body is the only fault that comes up after clearing all codes and taking it for a spin.

Just replaced the throttle body (arrived from Germany for only 57 quid all in) which should hopefully resolve the only remaining issue which is very bad low cold idle... I will keep you posted.

NOW: for all of you experts out there, are there AFH wiring diagrams available?
And, what about a better ratio for fifth gear? I love the close ratio box, but I'd love to be pushing 3000rpm at 75mph, not 4000rpm - has anyone else found a cool solution to these issues? To be honest a longer final drive might make more sense as first seems a but redundant in the current setup. I was hoping the box from my 1.4CL would fit but alas it doesn't.
Central locking is completely buggered and needs a refit - :(
Lastly - the gearstick selector mechanism is a dog's dinner and worn in some places, making it hard to engage reverse fully. Anyone got experience of rebuilding them?

Also, anyone know of the best Polo garages in the Marches/West Mids/ Powys area?

Many thanks uk-polos!

CiderPolo

* personal opinion of course.
telbert twang
New
Drives: 1999 AER 1.0

Re: Valver on the loose - brought back from the dead.

Post by telbert twang »

How can one remove the MAP sensor (036 906 051) for cleaning ? I mean - i disconnected the connector, undid those two tx20, got the black plastic hosing moving, but can´t pull it out from the throttle body ´s aft housing. did not dare to apply too much force ...