Apple car play disconnects

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
david.stark
Bronze Member
Drives: SE

Apple car play disconnects

Post by david.stark »

This is irritating me now. I connect the cable to my iPhone X and it connects straight away, no problem. The moment I try to place the phone in the tray thing, it disconnects. So I try again and it disconnects again.

It varies as sometimes it’s fine on the 2nd attempt but yesterday it took 5 attempts :evil:

I’ve checked the physical connection and it is secure and tight. Anyone else encountered this?
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Re: Apple car play disconnects

Post by Dark_cze »

I have almost same problem with galaxy S9. In my case it is damaged USB C connector. I will have to order new part and replace it in month or two.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

It does sound like a dodgy connector or the actual cable might have become damaged.

@david.stark; have you tried a different cable to see if that cures the issue?
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:51 am It does sound like a dodgy connector or the actual cable might have become damaged.

@david.stark; have you tried a different cable to see if that cures the issue?
I haven’t but the car is in for it’s first service end of July so I might demand a replacement cable then.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

david.stark wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:03 pm
I haven’t but the car is in for it’s first service end of July so I might demand a replacement cable then.
Or just use any Apple Lightning cable, the one you use to charge your phone in the house for example, so you can see if it is the cable or not and so you can use Carplay in the meantime if it is?
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

Griff74 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:57 pm
Or just use any Apple Lightning cable, the one you use to charge your phone in the house for example, so you can see if it is the cable or not and so you can use Carplay in the meantime if it is?
Dont come here with your human logic! Let the man suffer.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

VW supplied me with a Type C cable on collection. Feels pretty good quality and haven't had any issues with Android Auto so far.
david.stark
Bronze Member

Post by david.stark »

phillos wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:35 pm
Didn’t realise it was a bog standard cable like the charger. I assumed it was some different connector as I’ve never looked at it since the dealer fitted it. I’ll try that then
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

david.stark wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:01 am
phillos wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:35 pm

Didn’t realise it was a bog standard cable like the charger. I assumed it was some different connector as I’ve never looked at it since the dealer fitted it. I’ll try that then
My bad. Didn’t mean to imply anyone was less informed.
jackois
New
Drives: Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps manual

Post by jackois »

I have a similar problem with a Samsung S7. Polo 1.0 SE

Generally, plug it in, wait for it to faff about binging and bonging until the Android Auto screen appears. After that it becomes quite random as to what will work and so on.

Yesterday, google maps took me off on a country route to avoid congestion and part way there was a bump in the road and Android auto disconnected, tried to re-connect but failed. Pulled into a lay by and tried everything I could think of to get it to start again with no joy. I ended up using the phone unconnected for google maps to get home. Came out later to go elsewhere, plugged in and everything fine and dandy.

I've read a few threads that say various things, only use USB1, only use top quality cables and so on with no joy.

Any other hints and tips would be gratefully received!
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

jackois wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:37 am I have a similar problem with a Samsung S7. Polo 1.0 SE

Generally, plug it in, wait for it to faff about binging and bonging until the Android Auto screen appears. After that it becomes quite random as to what will work and so on.

Yesterday, google maps took me off on a country route to avoid congestion and part way there was a bump in the road and Android auto disconnected, tried to re-connect but failed. Pulled into a lay by and tried everything I could think of to get it to start again with no joy. I ended up using the phone unconnected for google maps to get home. Came out later to go elsewhere, plugged in and everything fine and dandy.

I've read a few threads that say various things, only use USB1, only use top quality cables and so on with no joy.

nex time restart your phone and head unit (hold power till it go black than again till VW logo shows). that should work :) it is some kind of a bug with android auto if head unit and phone unexpectadly disconnects.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

jackois wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:37 am I have a similar problem with a Samsung S7. Polo 1.0 SE

An S7 is getting on a bit, could be your USB port is getting a bit loose, I used to find when I had an S7 that fluff from my pocket used to get stuck in the USB port and stop cables seating fully, I found a cocktail stick (as it is wooden do not use a metal pin!) would be good for cleaning it out, especially the small gap behind the tab inside the port and it would be fine again for a while.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Had the same issue with a OnePlus 6. Every now and then Android Auto wont connect even though the connection to the phone is fine. Restarting my phone solves the issue.
jackois
New
Drives: Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps manual

Post by jackois »

Thanks for the advice everyone... shall try it next time it happens and report back...
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Had similar with my pixel 2xl and was the charging port itself. Used to be so temperamental.. Only noticeable in the car because I was using a decent cable! After replacing the port it's been faultless.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk