Replacement key

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Olly66
New
Drives: SE 1.0

Replacement key

Post by Olly66 »

Hi,
I bought a 2015 Polo a few weeks back but it only had one key. Can anyone suggest the cheapest way to get another, because the dealer prices are crazy?
TIA
Olly
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Replacement key

Post by RUM4MO »

First bit of advice is to get out of that situation ASAP, all too many people thing about doing something - then lose the key!

Try to avoid buying an uncut blade from ebay etc as it will be made from harder material than most proper accurate key cutters will be willing to cut using their precision cutters.

There are companies out that that can be found on the internet that will sell the correct versions, probably even with the blade cut if you provide a picture as there will only be a limited variation on the lock number/code.

That will leave you to either get a Timpsons to clone the transponder so that it mimics your existing key, but the better plan will always be to get a VW Indie or even a VW dealer to code that new key as the best plan is to have both keys with their own ability to use floating codes I'd expect.

Maybe all negative useless info, but I'm sure that others will post soon.

Note, I have never ever needed to buy a 2nd key, but I have bought a new/used key for both my previous VW cars and never needed to fit new transponders, get the blade cut or programmed them. I did buy a new emergency small plastic key for my S4 though, all done through my Audi dealer.
Slider09
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 Polo 1.2 SE

Post by Slider09 »

Have a word with Alex at VW Retrofit

https://vw-retrofit.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

Probably set you back about £100 using RUM4MO method. Much less than a dealer.
Olly66
New
Drives: SE 1.0

Post by Olly66 »

Thanks to all of you for your advice on this.
Olly