Headlamp alignment

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
tykeboy
New
Drives: 2004, 1.4 petrol.

Headlamp alignment

Post by tykeboy »

When I bought the car earlier this year and it had LED dipped beam bulbs fitted, which were useless. I replaced them with halogen bulbs but noticed that the beams were very high and clearly not aligned properly. I then adjusted them down till they looked ok (thinking I'd have them professionally done prior to the MOT). However, I was totally nonplussed to find that I had also adjusted the main beams so they were down on the road.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on here? Did the person that put the LED bulbs in take out a reflector or something? Have I got the wrong bulbs (should they have a reflector on them)?

Also it's very tricky changing the bulbs without taking the headlamps out (which means taking the bumper off) how stupid is that?

Confused.
LeonSymnz
New
Drives: 9n3

Re: Headlamp alignment

Post by LeonSymnz »

tykeboy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:54 am When I bought the car earlier this year and it had LED dipped beam bulbs fitted, which were useless. I replaced them with halogen bulbs but noticed that the beams were very high and clearly not aligned properly. I then adjusted them down till they looked ok (thinking I'd have them professionally done prior to the MOT). However, I was totally nonplussed to find that I had also adjusted the main beams so they were down on the road.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on here? Did the person that put the LED bulbs in take out a reflector or something? Have I got the wrong bulbs (should they have a reflector on them)?

Also it's very tricky changing the bulbs without taking the headlamps out (which means taking the bumper off) how stupid is that?

Confused.

Make sure the bulb is in, correctly...