GTI clutter capacity

Chat about your 2018+ AW model Polos here!
raysablade
New
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:05 am
Drives: GTI +
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

GTI clutter capacity

Post by raysablade » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:51 pm

The need to address her clutter problem is the one cloud on my wife’s horizon as she waits to pick up her new car on Monday week.

She understands that the GTIs boot capacity is 305 litres as opposed to 351 for the regular Polo and 380 for her current MK7 Golf.

However some pictures I’ve seen online suggest that this is mainly because the boot floor can’t be lowered completely and that there is still a significant amount of spare space in the void below the floor when it is in the “high” position.

If that is the case weeding out the; two compressors, walking boots, shopping bags, folding boxes, umbrellas, binoculars, wine carriers, luggage nets, luggage straps, bird s**t wipes and oil, she has cluttering up the current boot becomes less of an issue.

Can a GTI owner estimate how much of that lot will fit in the void?

aaddaamm94
New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:13 pm
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+
Location: London

Re: GTI clutter capacity

Post by aaddaamm94 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:12 pm

There’s not that much room under there. I’ve got the beats sound system which limits the space further. Plus the GTI’s battery is in the boot which reduces storage. I’ve managed to fit a compressor, emergency blanket, bulb kit, touch up kit, can of tyre shine. You won’t get boots in - only stuff that can squash down flat will fit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phillos
Bronze Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 5:09 pm
Drives: GTI (mit alles)
Location: EU

Re: GTI clutter capacity

Post by phillos » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:12 am

The boot is small.
I currently have the following items.
  • Backpack
  • Small black&decker vacuum
  • Anti-ice spray stuff
  • Torque wrench
Went grocery shopping yesterday, only had room for 2 grocery bags.

It’s real tiny.

raysablade
New
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:05 am
Drives: GTI +
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: GTI clutter capacity

Post by raysablade » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:22 am

phillos wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:12 am
The boot is small.
I currently have the following items.
  • Backpack
  • Small black&decker vacuum
  • Anti-ice spray stuff
  • Torque wrench
Went grocery shopping yesterday, only had room for 2 grocery bags.

It’s real tiny.
That seems smaller than my worst fears, and none of that will fit under the floor? It strange because when she took me to look at it the boot didn’t look seem that much smaller than the Golf’s does with the floor in the high position.

She’s very unlikely to ever have a rear seat passenger so it’s not the end of the world.

She has never changed a wheel , and is never likely to, so the space saver is probably a luxury. Removing it might free up some space.

Most of the clutter never gets used anyway, the oil for example must be 10 years old and has survived the last 2 car changes without being touched. Almost certainly wrong for this engine.

PS Thinking this through, as the car is rarely if ever going to have more than two people in it. There seems to be a lot of sense in; removing the space saver, using the space saved and, when the need arises, securing it in a rear seat for longer “riskier” trips. However counter intuitive that might seem.

aron.phelan
New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:00 am

Re: GTI clutter capacity

Post by aron.phelan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:53 am

aaddaamm94 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:12 pm
There’s not that much room under there. I’ve got the beats sound system which limits the space further. Plus the GTI’s battery is in the boot which reduces storage. I’ve managed to fit a compressor, emergency blanket, bulb kit, touch up kit, can of tyre shine. You won’t get boots in - only stuff that can squash down flat will fit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve ordered the Beats Sound System. Being 49 I love the old rave and techno music. How have you found it ?

OomStu_ZA
Bronze Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:06 pm
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTI+some extras
Location: South Africa

Re: GTI clutter capacity

Post by OomStu_ZA » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:09 pm

aron.phelan wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:53 am
aaddaamm94 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:12 pm
There’s not that much room under there. I’ve got the beats sound system which limits the space further. Plus the GTI’s battery is in the boot which reduces storage. I’ve managed to fit a compressor, emergency blanket, bulb kit, touch up kit, can of tyre shine. You won’t get boots in - only stuff that can squash down flat will fit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve ordered the Beats Sound System. Being 49 I love the old rave and techno music. How have you found it ?
I went for a custom audio installation myself by adding an active sub and two 6"x 9"'s because one generally gets better value with an aftermarket setup. Plus one wrt age (±) and love to bang out the 'ol house toons too but must say that Lil Nas 'Ol Town Road has an impressive bass line.

aaddaamm94
New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:13 pm
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+
Location: London

Re: GTI clutter capacity

Post by aaddaamm94 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:12 pm

aron.phelan wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:53 am
aaddaamm94 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:12 pm
There’s not that much room under there. I’ve got the beats sound system which limits the space further. Plus the GTI’s battery is in the boot which reduces storage. I’ve managed to fit a compressor, emergency blanket, bulb kit, touch up kit, can of tyre shine. You won’t get boots in - only stuff that can squash down flat will fit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve ordered the Beats Sound System. Being 49 I love the old rave and techno music. How have you found it ?
Its great, although I had a 2016 Polo Beats before hand - so I don't really remember what standard speakers ever sounded like!

SRGTD
Platinum Member
Posts: 1636
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:40 pm
Drives: 2016 6C Polo GTI 5 door, Blue Silk
Location: UK

Re: GTI clutter capacity

Post by SRGTD » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:14 pm

raysablade wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:22 am
phillos wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:12 am
The boot is small.
I currently have the following items.
  • Backpack
  • Small black&decker vacuum
  • Anti-ice spray stuff
  • Torque wrench
Went grocery shopping yesterday, only had room for 2 grocery bags.

It’s real tiny.
That seems smaller than my worst fears, and none of that will fit under the floor? It strange because when she took me to look at it the boot didn’t look seem that much smaller than the Golf’s does with the floor in the high position.

She’s very unlikely to ever have a rear seat passenger so it’s not the end of the world.

She has never changed a wheel , and is never likely to, so the space saver is probably a luxury. Removing it might free up some space.

Most of the clutter never gets used anyway, the oil for example must be 10 years old and has survived the last 2 car changes without being touched. Almost certainly wrong for this engine.

PS Thinking this through, as the car is rarely if ever going to have more than two people in it. There seems to be a lot of sense in; removing the space saver, using the space saved and, when the need arises, securing it in a rear seat for longer “riskier” trips. However counter intuitive that might seem.
IMO the Polo’s boot compared to the Golf’s isn’t that much smaller. With the floor in the upper position, the Polo’s boot is 305 litres and the Golf is 343 litres. If you’re not regularly carrying rear seat passengers, lowering the rear seat backs extends the Polo’s luggage capacity to 1,079 litres.

If you currently carry clutter that very rarely gets used, perhaps it’s time to have a clear out. I personally wouldn’t permanently keep wine carriers or shopping bags in my car - I’d only need these when going to the supermarket or wine merchants. I only carry one compressor in my car; do you really need two?

I have the previous generation Polo GTI and the boot space is a meagre 204 litres! I came from a mk6 Golf and haven’t ever found the smaller boot a hindrance. I also very rarely carry rear seat passengers, so on the odd occasion when I need more luggage space, I just put the rear seat backs down. In my smaller Polo, there’s space under the boot floor to keep top up oil and quick detailer and microfibre cloths to deal with bird poo, so those items should definitely fit under the boot floor in the current generation Polo GTI, and your luggage straps and luggage nets ought to fit too.

Why don’t you visit your dealer and see how much of the clutter you consider to be essential will fit? That way, you’ll know for certain.

silverhairs
Gold Member
Posts: 586
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:15 pm
Drives: Waiting to purchase soon
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: GTI clutter capacity

Post by silverhairs » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:44 pm

My friend down the road has a tyre in his GTI+ boot, so he cannot drop his floor to the low setting. When my Mrs goes shopping she can fit in about 7 or 8 bags in, they are about the size of a carrier bag. could be slightly bigger? The next time the Mrs goes shopping, I will take a photo and try and put it in my posting.
As for the member who can only get "2 grocery bags in the boot" what size bags are they ?

raysablade
New
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:05 am
Drives: GTI +
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: GTI clutter capacity

Post by raysablade » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:01 pm

SRGTD wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:14 pm
raysablade wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:22 am
phillos wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:12 am
The boot is small.
I currently have the following items.
  • Backpack
  • Small black&decker vacuum
  • Anti-ice spray stuff
  • Torque wrench
Went grocery shopping yesterday, only had room for 2 grocery bags.

It’s real tiny.
That seems smaller than my worst fears, and none of that will fit under the floor? It strange because when she took me to look at it the boot didn’t look seem that much smaller than the Golf’s does with the floor in the high position.

She’s very unlikely to ever have a rear seat passenger so it’s not the end of the world.

She has never changed a wheel , and is never likely to, so the space saver is probably a luxury. Removing it might free up some space.

Most of the clutter never gets used anyway, the oil for example must be 10 years old and has survived the last 2 car changes without being touched. Almost certainly wrong for this engine.

PS Thinking this through, as the car is rarely if ever going to have more than two people in it. There seems to be a lot of sense in; removing the space saver, using the space saved and, when the need arises, securing it in a rear seat for longer “riskier” trips. However counter intuitive that might seem.
IMO the Polo’s boot compared to the Golf’s isn’t that much smaller. With the floor in the upper position, the Polo’s boot is 305 litres and the Golf is 343 litres. If you’re not regularly carrying rear seat passengers, lowering the rear seat backs extends the Polo’s luggage capacity to 1,079 litres.

If you currently carry clutter that very rarely gets used, perhaps it’s time to have a clear out. I personally wouldn’t permanently keep wine carriers or shopping bags in my car - I’d only need these when going to the supermarket or wine merchants. I only carry one compressor in my car; do you really need two?

I have the previous generation Polo GTI and the boot space is a meagre 204 litres! I came from a mk6 Golf and haven’t ever found the smaller boot a hindrance. I also very rarely carry rear seat passengers, so on the odd occasion when I need more luggage space, I just put the rear seat backs down. In my smaller Polo, there’s space under the boot floor to keep top up oil and quick detailer and microfibre cloths to deal with bird poo, so those items should definitely fit under the boot floor in the current generation Polo GTI, and your luggage straps and luggage nets ought to fit too.

Why don’t you visit your dealer and see how much of the clutter you consider to be essential will fit? That way, you’ll know for certain.
Visit to the dealer is of course the sensible option but I’d not realised that she has already checked that the two decent sized bags she travels with will fit easily, so from her perspective it really is a question of weeding and I think we have made progress.

It seems that the junk pile has moved from each of the last few cars in totality and it only now that she’s moved to a truly small car that it has become a potential problem.

To give you an idea of how long the accumulation has taken one compressor is being kept because it is useless as a compressor but it has a light. This is almost certainly from the days before phones had lights.The other compressor works but doesn’t have a light.
I think we can fix that with a small LED light or even use her phone.

The oil can go, it is over ten year old. The bags can go in a footwell.

silverhairs
Gold Member
Posts: 586
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:15 pm
Drives: Waiting to purchase soon
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: GTI clutter capacity

Post by silverhairs » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:18 pm

Just lifted the floor of my boot (in the lower position) and I have 4 fold flat bags 2 cagoules and a road atlas. I do have a normal sized tyre.
When I stated in an earlier post about my mate cannot lower his boot floor to the lower position is because he has a normal sized tyre and with the battery in the boot, stops it being in the lowest position.
The ridges on either side of the boot allows thin items underneath when in the lower position, even with a full sized tyre.

raysablade
New
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:05 am
Drives: GTI +
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: GTI clutter capacity

Post by raysablade » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:54 pm

silverhairs wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:18 pm
Just lifted the floor of my boot (in the lower position) and I have 4 fold flat bags 2 cagoules and a road atlas. I do have a normal sized tyre.
Is that in the space to the left or around the tyre?

Image

Given that the GTI floor is in the higher position, and she hasn't ordered a beats system, it seems promising. I know its hard to judge but this picture suggests there might be 20 Litres of space under there

OomStu_ZA
Bronze Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:06 pm
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTI+some extras
Location: South Africa

Re: GTI clutter capacity

Post by OomStu_ZA » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:58 pm

I suspect the centre lock nut may be slight higher than the latches but would need to confirm myself.
Capture.JPG

Polovivo
Getting There!
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:53 pm
Drives: TSi AW / GTi AW
Location: South Africa

Re: GTI clutter capacity

Post by Polovivo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:06 pm

Remove the spare and you will have the same load space as the Polo 1.0 TSi.

There is a trim piece that you may need to get for the board to sit on the lower level.

I'll send you the part number, it clips in on the back panel for more support.

aaddaamm94
New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:13 pm
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+
Location: London

Re: GTI clutter capacity

Post by aaddaamm94 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:04 pm

Polovivo wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:06 pm
Remove the spare and you will have the same load space as the Polo 1.0 TSi.

There is a trim piece that you may need to get for the board to sit on the lower level.

I'll send you the part number, it clips in on the back panel for more support.
He won’t - because the GTI has the battery in the boot too

Post Reply