Which Engine Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Casbantam
Getting There!
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match

Which Engine Oil?

Post by Casbantam »

This probably seems like a really dumb question but here goes.

My car is a 1.2 TSI 2016 14800k. It is booked in for service next week. My service book states it had long life oil at the 1st service 2000k and 2nd service 3900k. The previous owner had only covered 6k in the first 2.5 years but I have done 11k in my 1st year of ownership.
Does the car need to use different oil now based on the annual mileage I will do? And if so which is the best to use? and do any of the settings need to be changed?
The dealership still maintains that my car will tell me when my next service is due!!!! another 8000k according to the counter????
I am assuming that the VW garage would automatically know and I personally think it will change the regime from flexible to fixed servicing and in turn changing from VW50400 to VW50200 oil.
This is what I think based on what I have read. Does this sound correct or am I more bamboozled than I thought?
Any knowledgeable info would be appreciated Thanks.
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw)

Re: Which Engine Oil?

Post by wolfie »

I had mine changed from extended service intervals to annual/mileage at the first service. I think it's a simple matter of a quick parameter change via the software. (when they check the build sheet mine still shows extended interval service)

I cover less than 5K a year but have stuck with 504.00 from day one. My thinking is, mine does lots of stop starts from cold so a fully synthetic would probably add some protection and better cleaning. I've generally used Shell Helix Ultra as that was what the car came with. However I've switched to Mobile 1 as it just happened to be on offer and seems to be liked by many.

You pays your money and you makes your choice. I think you have a choice of viscosity with 502.00 (5W30 or 5W40) Pretty sure 504.00 is limited to 5W30.
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Cheers for reply wolfie. Probably best to trust the garage. I will just make sure they tell me if they change anything.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

11,000kilometers is equal to 6850 miles, so it makes sense to change to fixed distance/time but as said stick with 504 spec oil as it is said to have better qualities in terms of lower engine wear, I also like or chose Mobil 1 5W-30 from a point of view of it being a "good" balance of quality/price - I can't expand on the meaning of "good" though, we all have our own ways of liking things!

Edit:- if it is a VW main dealer, ask/tell them what you want/need you are the customer and in this situation you are trying to exceed the minimum requirements so they should be happy with that.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

Oil choice is a bit subjective but I use Castrol Edge professional long life 3 which meets 504. Found a supply of 5 litre cans for £30.00 which seems a good price. Use it in both VWs, Golf and Polo GTIs.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:36 pm 11,000kilometers is equal to 6850 miles, so it makes sense to change to fixed distance/time but as said stick with 504 spec oil as it is said to have better qualities in terms of lower engine wear, I also like or chose Mobil 1 5W-30 from a point of view of it being a "good" balance of quality/price - I can't expand on the meaning of "good" though, we all have our own ways of liking things!

Edit:- if it is a VW main dealer, ask/tell them what you want/need you are the customer and in this situation you are trying to exceed the minimum requirements so they should be happy with that.
From what little I've read the Tsi engines in particular like "Clean" oil. By clean, I mean oil that does not degrade too quickly and does not lose too many "volatiles" as it heats up. That and being changed within the recommended intervals. Because of the direct injection, the ports do not have carbon deposits washed away by fuel as they do in standard "port" injection systems. That carbon and gunk is produced by a combination of exhaust emissions and the normal breakdown of the oil. Fully synthetic is stable at higher temps and as such loses less volatiles which = less deposits, it also degrades less quickly.

Modern oils freak me out they are so thin. I can still remember the treacle that used to come out of my first mini.
Last edited by wolfie on Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

On the subject of really really thin modern oils, I was in my local motor factors today and was quite surprised by his on display selection of maybe "heritage" oils - good on him! One was a Duckhams I think (green treacle).
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

I thought "Duckhams" had gone to the wall years back..
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I've just checked, they are indeed still going, now a Shell name along with Castrol etc!

Edit:- BP not Shell.
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated.
Sorry it should be 11000 miles not km. I might ask them to change over to annual servicing then and use 504 as this seems to be the way to go.