Polo GTI 9n3 leaking sunroof - drains blocked SOLVED

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
s3ans3an
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI 2007

Polo GTI 9n3 leaking sunroof - drains blocked SOLVED

Post by s3ans3an »

Hey guys - I've had puddles inside my car passenger footwell and I have traced it back to the sunroof drain, the passenger side is blocked and although I can run a cable through it to a certain extent it still will not drain. Does anyone know where the end drain hole is? Its not inside the door as seen on some models, I have seen that it could be inside the bonnet under the wipers, but before i take the windscreen wipers off and plastic cover I want to be sure the drain gromit is actually under there. I've also seen that it goes behind the plastic that covers the inside wheel arch.

Can anyone help me? I have a 9n3 polo 2007 GTI
thank you so much

UPDATE I have solved the problem!

The steps I took were as follows (for the passenger side - drivers side is much the same:

Time to complete: 20 minutes

1. remove the windscreen wipers.
Mark the position they lay when idle with some tape on the screen. Pop the caps off and un screw each bolt.
If they are stuck on and you do not have a tool to remove them and they are a little stuff, spray with WD40, support them underneath with a spanner, and with the nut screwed half onwards, give it a few medium hits with a hammer. REMEMBER to support the spanner underneath with your other hand and Push upwards so you don't damage the plastic that covers the windscreen. Still not sure? a quick youtube search will set you right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty1IszPwnnM

2. Remove the rubber gasket that holds the windscreen plastic
Really simple, just give it a tug and off it comes.

3. Remove the plastic cover that spans the windscreen
Gently ease one of the corners up, ensuring you remember how the rubber edges sit against the windscreen pillars so they can be relocated afterwards.

4. Remove the bolt on the plastic cover (see image 2 below)
This plastic cover is bolted on the left and right, you will need to remove the right hand screw to get your hand in there. Then slide you hand in (palm face up) and with you finger tips you should feel the drain grommit. Pinch and wiggle it and (hopefully) a gush of water and gunk will spurt out - voila! its unblocked.

You can check this again by running some water down the drains with the sunroof open (as seen in image 1)

A few photos to guide where the drain grommit is. If anyone ever finds this and needs help just ping me!
Good luck.

Shomile
New
Drives: Polo 9n

Re: Polo GTI 9n3 leaking sunroof - drains blocked SOLVED

Post by Shomile »

Hey, i just bought myself a 2003 9n with a sunroof with the exact same issue as yours, it seems like both the 9n and the 9n3 have the exact same issues when it comes to clogged sunroof drains. I'll try this solution later and will let you know if it worked for me aswell.
Alan0290
New
Drives: 2005 9n

Re: Polo GTI 9n3 leaking sunroof - drains blocked SOLVED

Post by Alan0290 »

Hello how did you get to the drivers side ive done all these steps but cannot reach the drivers side drain hole has the wiper motor is in the way ????