GTI - Removing opf/gpf but staying with the cat

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Rasmus_GTI
New
Drives: Polo GTI aw

GTI - Removing opf/gpf but staying with the cat

Post by Rasmus_GTI »

Hi

Does anyone know if its possible to remove the opf but not the cat - or is it one combined unit?

I heard milltek is coming up with an opf delete solution just like what they have for the fiesta ST, but I am really confused if this solution removes both the opf and the cat - and replaces with a 200 cell cat?

Hope someone could help - pretty desperat to get rid of that sound killer opf but want to stay with the original cat if possible.

Thanks!
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Re: GTI - Removing opf/gpf but staying with the cat

Post by phillos »

Purely physically, it's absolutely possible. The OPF/GPF is a completely separate device from the CAT.
I have first hand experience with this, as I did a resonator delete on mine.
Technically however, I'm pretty sure its a dead end. There are sensors before and after the OPF/GPF that measure 'stuff'. Pretty sure the Engine Management will be quite confused if all sensors report the same amount of particles before and after the GPF/OPF.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

yep ecu will throw out error maybe even go to criple mode
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Pretty much what others are saying, physically possible but the ECU will complain.

Currently, on diesel model cars many tuners offer a DPF delete service which involves removing the DPF and software modding the ECU to remove the DPF functions on the ECU.

As both a none GPF and GPF version of the Polo GTI exist I'm sure it will only be a matter of time when some brainiac figures out how to software mod the ECU to remove the GPF and offer it as a service.
ryanponti
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by ryanponti »

Whats the "legal" standing on doing this, i know its against the law to drive around with a DPF removed if one was installed when the car was sold. Does the same apply to OPF?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

ryanponti wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:55 am Whats the "legal" standing on doing this, i know its against the law to drive around with a DPF removed if one was installed when the car was sold. Does the same apply to OPF?
Based on the content of the article at the link below, it’s illegal in the UK if the car is used on public roads, and could invalidate your insurance too.

https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/gasoline-p ... it-illegal

The legal position may be different in other parts of the world though.
ryanponti
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by ryanponti »

Where abouts is the OPF located? Would it be easier to create a bypass pipe?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Not sure if it's clear cut illegal to remove the GPF in all cases.

If your car was sold as being WLTP compliant and made after it was compulsory to be WLTP compliant (Sep 18) then I'd sat it almost certainly is illegal or an MOT failure at the very least.

However, the MK7.5 Golfs had GPFs fitted from around the end of 2017. It might not be illegal to remove those as they are NEDC compliant.

There were people drilling through their DPFs until sometime in 2013 when they became compulsory fit.

If EGRs worked on recirculating post DPF/GPF gases, we'd not have any EGR issues down the line. Too complicated to do or too much back pressure to do that?
Rasmus_GTI
New
Drives: Polo GTI aw

Post by Rasmus_GTI »

I managed to find a 2018 downpipe for my 2020 GTI.
That downpipe has 2 cats and no gpf and I hope it will be a straight swap.

I think the only sensors on the gpf is differential pressure - so planning to install two pressure ports on the 2018 downpipe on each side of the second cat, and fit the sensors to that to hopefully keep the ecu happy 🙏
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

Bumping an old thread but an owner on here recently had a cobra full system. Sports cats, GPF removal, straight pipe to the tips.

The car was already REVO stage 2 so just required some VAGCOM tweaks. Been going a few thousand miles now and no issues.

Its significantly louder than mine that is just a straight pipe from GPF back, sounds nice on the DSG shifts.

So totally do-able it seems. May need a nice MOT place though.
RinDman
New
Drives: Polo AW GTI DSG6

Post by RinDman »

Each time you do a opf/gpf delete, you need to flash the ECU, either to cut the sensor warning or to tell sensor how to see the value from the gaz temp without the opf/gpf ...

If you only want the pop from the orignal phase 1 without opf/gpf natively, you better find the old ones from 2017-2018 ...
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Until they bring in noise cameras , which some areas have or are testing. Although the Polo has never had an over the top exhaust sound.