Excessive oil use and stalling. 1.2

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
fionn.macdonald
New
Drives: 2010 1.2 3 pot

Excessive oil use and stalling. 1.2

Post by fionn.macdonald »

My 2010 moda eats oil, 1 Ltr per 200 miles. Reduced a little by cleaning the crank case breather. It was very mucky.

I read online that the 3 cylinder engine has a taste for oil, as the valves can leak and often one cylinder has an issue.
Maybe there is a reason most cars are 4 cyl !
I read that some have an oil mist bottle fitted to catch the excessive oil mist. Seems bizarre.

Has anyone really solved the oil use or pressure problems with these engines? I think my cars previous owners were shoddy with servicing and the engine may be past its best.....

The car stalled twice now , on motorways is not much fun, think related to this.

Suggestions to improve it welcome !
fionn.macdonald
New

Re: Excessive oil use and stalling. 1.2

Anybody ??!!!!!
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Not really. Excessive oil use could be an indication of a worn engine but can also be faulty maintenance (oil overfilled, oil lines/filter/maze dirty and/or blocked).
I would recommend to take it to a garage and get it diagnosed properly. Sounds like something quite unsafe both for persons onboard and environment.
fionn.macdonald
New

Checked all I could today. Crank breather, oil and air filter, oil
Levels, compression from lines linked to oil. All good . No dirty parts or lines. Air housing was spotless. I expected to see oil sprayed all over ....
Just the PCV valve left which did have oil coming from it.
I will replace that, it’s not a lot of money as a try.
Took a while to find it- on top of cylinder head on left, behind oil filter.
Circular shape.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I thought that I had suggested this earlier, but maybe not!

Have you noticed that your engine is prone to pinking a lot, if so, then I'd be looking to see if it has a cyclonic oil separator, and if so, I'd be replacing that with a new one that will be able to catch the oil mist and sent the collected oil back into the sump and not into the cylinder head for burning.
fionn.macdonald
New

Thanks. I will have a check. Where can I find that part on the 1.2 3 cyl.......
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

It is a black plastic tubular shaped item that lives low down on the back (driver's seat side) of the engine quite low down.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

You didn't say how many miles were on your vehicle.

Under the airbox at the rear of the engine you will probably see a corrugated plastic tube (that runs from the engine block on the left side to nearby the throttle body on the right side, as seen from front). If it's anything like the 1.4 the oil separator assembly will be to the left of the left hand side of that corrugated tube and below it, again as seen from the front.

Not sure if the 1.2 has a low oil level indicator (the sensor is in the oil sump) but if it doesn't I'd say it's very easy to overlook low oil levels, especially when using thinner oils like 5W30 which seem to burn by design. Since my 1.4 has been on 5W40 grade I'm hardly using any oil at all (touch wood). If I go on a long journey and give it a bit of a thrash at high speed then it does use a bit, but all within spec. Also, this is after a top end rebuild so I suspect that there were issues with oil to the top end. I never did change the oil separator. When I inspected it during the rebuild it seemed fine (admittedly, that was not a test). The only gunge build up I'd seen previously was in the throttle body (that area is worth inspecting because it is after the filter).

Anyway, if you need a new oil separator you can usually find a Febi part for around £40.
Mr_Mechnic
New
Drives: 2009 Polo 9N 1.2 12 Valve

Post by Mr_Mechnic »

Hi,

I know this is an old post but I have recently had a drastic sudden increase in oil consuption on my Polo, 1.2 BZG engine, a litre in 500 miles, no leaks or obvious oil burning sign, after much research changed the breather valve, engine ran better but still oil loss was great, did a compression check after more research and found some lose the piston skirt and oil control rings, what I found was compression low on number one, ok on number 2 and almost gone on number 3, looking for a BZG engine proved a little too costly, I have however managed to locate and fit succesfully a AZQ 12v engine, only one minor mod done, covering up the EGR port on the head as the BZG engine didnt have and EGR system fitted, I swapped all sensors, flywheel and manifolds, engine fitted in without issue and now runs and drives better than ever before.

Hopefully anyone reading this can make use of what I found possible

Cheers folks :)
Sam78
New
Drives: 9n3 2006 1.2 12V

Post by Sam78 »

Nice work there!

Did you also replace the ECU paired to the replacement engine, or use your old one?

Without the EGR, I'm not surprised it's performing well! Especially under high engine loads where the EGR is more actively open. I was wondering though, have you monitored fuel consumption since changing out the engine, and have you had an MOT or emissions test yet, as EGRs lower the combustion temperature and therefore NOx levels in exhaust. Would also be interested in monitoring the spark plugs for any increased temperature effects.