Reversing issue

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Reversing issue

Post by S_94 »

Had a strange issue yesterday when leaving a Tesco car park. I was reversing out of a spot very slowly, checking all my mirrors etc when the car suddenly stopped very harshly. For a second I actually though I had hit another car/person/trolley, it honestly sounded like something hit me but the car was 'stuck', it wouldn't reverse any further. It made a very loud sort of grinding/clang noise (as if something had been hit). Could only describe it like the grinding noise when you don't get the car in gear properly on a manual. It's as if the DSG 'slipped', if that makes sense?

I got out of the car just to check but there was nothing around me, nothing under the car, definitely didn't hit anything. I had to put the car back into drive and inch forward slightly before reversing again.

Anyone know what could have caused this or had anything similar?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Reversing issue

Post by SRGTD »

Does the GTI+ have automatic braking intervention? From the manual;

Automatic braking intervention
The automatic braking intervention serves to reduce collisions.
If the vehicle is equipped with an automatic braking intervention function, the automatic braking intervention may trigger emergency braking as soon as an obstacle is detected while reversing and, if necessary, driving forwards.

When does an automatic braking intervention take place?
The following prerequisites must be met for an automatic braking intervention:
The vehicle speed does not exceed a maximum of around 10 km/h (6 mph) when manoeuvring.
A parking system is active.
An obstacle is detected by the system.
The automatic braking intervention does not take place if Park Distance Control has been activated automatically when driving forwards Einparkhilfe.

What happens when an automatic braking intervention takes place?
The vehicle is braked.
OR: the vehicle is braked to a standstill and then held for around two seconds. Depress the brake!

Switching off
The automatic braking intervention function is deactivated as soon as a parking system is deactivated or when the function has made a control intervention.
Touch the function button on the Infotainment system screen to manually switch off manoeuvre braking.

Switching on
The automatic braking intervention function is active as soon as a parking system has been activated.
Touch the function button on the Infotainment system screen to manually switch on manoeuvre braking.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Thanks mate.

Wondering if something set the reversing censors off. There was definitely nothing behind me though. :?:
roakley
New
Drives: GTI Plus

Post by roakley »

Had the same happen to me when reversing in a golf SV - it is normal if it thinks you are going hit something!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Reversing out of my garage this morning I had the exact same happen although I knew it was the brakes working since radar sensed another moving vehicle close by. Lets just say I had to go back into the house and change my pants :P
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Post by Dazeredo »

It looks really like was automatic braking. And thanks for that, when I was in the dealer to pick my car, a mechanic was picking a Passat from service to a client and don't hit my to be car because the automatic braking stop the Passat in time.
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

I can see how this automatic braking thingy works with DSG, but how does it work with a manual car, it would have to stall the car wouldn't it ?
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

POLO Clive wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:40 am I can see how this automatic braking thingy works with DSG, but how does it work with a manual car, it would have to stall the car wouldn't it ?
Manual have it too. It happend to my gti twice already and both times I was sure I crashed. :D Can't say if it would stall (most probably yes) but in both cases I pressed break and clutch pedals asap.
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Post by Dazeredo »

Mine is manual but until now the automatic brakes never turn on to know what happens, but I think the natural thing is the driver get "scared" and press the clutch automatic (or stall if the driver don't get "scared").
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Had this when reversing a few months back. I also didn't hear any parking sensor beeps. Was quite scary actually. For a second you think you've hit something it's so violent!

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

MattHGR wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:27 pm Had this when reversing a few months back. I also didn't hear any parking sensor beeps. Was quite scary actually. For a second you think you've hit something it's so violent!

I think it is so violent because it will activate on last few centimeters and there is almost no time for car to do it better. It happed to me while senzors was beeping (well they got into one continous beep) but I didn't notice that change.

here is video of my reaction when it happend for second time. :D And yes it sound like crashing into another car or maybe kerb.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/7IPbbrlSIE4[/youtube]
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Dark_cze wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 pm
MattHGR wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:27 pm Had this when reversing a few months back. I also didn't hear any parking sensor beeps. Was quite scary actually. For a second you think you've hit something it's so violent!

I think it is so violent because it will activate on last few centimeters and there is almost no time for car to do it better. It happed to me while senzors was beeping (well they got into one continous beep) but I didn't notice that change.

here is video of my reaction when it happend for second time. :D And yes it sound like crashing into another car or maybe kerb.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/7IPbbrlSIE4[/youtube]
Yeah I s**t myself and thought I had hit someone or damaged the car.

Thanks for posting that video Dark_cze, exact same noise from mine.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

at least Iam not alone :D
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Yep sounds exactly the same as mine. Makes an odd noise for sure !

lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I can confirm it works in a manual. Mine has done it before for long grass. I thought I’d hit a wall but it was just some long grass growing out the car park at work. It didn’t stall either, but I was only reversing on the clutch very slowly so that may be why.