Wet clutch wear when standing still?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
YehaviBourvine
New

Wet clutch wear when standing still?

Post by YehaviBourvine »

Hi,

On Sunday I should get my new POLO GTI, and have a question: I don't like the Start/Stop mechanism and usually disable it. When I wait at the traffic light, is there some wear to the clutch plates (like with the dry clutch DSG), or does it work as a torque converter and keeps the clutch plates apart? When do they start to engage?

Thanks! __Yehavi:
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Re: Wet clutch wear when standing still?

Post by MattHGR »

The clutches are pulled apart slightly when on the brake, to minimise wear. However, you will hear a difference in engine tone when you click it into neutral.
Makes me think something in the gearbox is still labouring the engine in D with the foot brake.

Most likely though is that the clutches are pulled back slightly but still rub a tiny bit. Due to it being a wet clutch system though, the wear would be very minimal.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

MattHGR wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:49 pm The clutches are pulled apart slightly when on the brake, to minimise wear. However, you will hear a difference in engine tone when you click it into neutral.
Makes me think something in the gearbox is still labouring the engine in D with the foot brake.

Most likely though is that the clutches are pulled back slightly but still rub a tiny bit. Due to it being a wet clutch system though, the wear would be very minimal.

Stupid question Matt, but I’ve only ever had a dsg for a week at most and I’m looking at the gti plus/a1 competition as my next car. Would you advise putting the car into neutral at lights to prolong the life of the gearbox? I also switch off the start/stop these days so don’t want to cause issues.
MattHGR
Bronze Member

Post by MattHGR »

I'd recommend it yes, but I doubt it really makes much difference in the long run.

I always use start stop, but sometimes the engine won't stop. When this happens, I always put it in N just in case.

Like I said, I doubt it makes any difference, but it feels right.

Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

I don't own DSG but if it creeps without any pedal input then i would expect cutch to be engadget a little all time. that said as far as i know this dsg uses multiple chlutch plates and they are sitting in oil so there should be zero or minimal wear.

// I personaly would use N while standing still but I also don't use start/stop

clutch pack for DG250 (one pack for odd and one for even gears)
tom.wright
New
Drives: 2023 Polo GTI, Pure White

Post by tom.wright »

I think the clutch is disengaged when stationary on the footbrake.

I notice if I lift the brake quite quickly to move off there's sometimes a slight delay before it starts creeping. I've always presumed this is the clutch engaging.

You'll also notice that if you're very light on the footbrake it thinks you're about to move off and increases the RPM to about 1100, again I presume it's preparing to engage the clutch. If you press it a bit more firmly the RPM settles down to an idle of about 800.

I'm not a mechanic though so this is just my observation from driving it for a few months.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

tom.wright wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:01 pm I think the clutch is disengaged when stationary on the footbrake.

I notice if I lift the brake quite quickly to move off there's sometimes a slight delay before it starts creeping. I've always presumed this is the clutch engaging.

You'll also notice that if you're very light on the footbrake it thinks you're about to move off and increases the RPM to about 1100, again I presume it's preparing to engage the clutch. If you press it a bit more firmly the RPM settles down to an idle of about 800.

I'm not a mechanic though so this is just my observation from driving it for a few months.
probably true :) as I said I don't own dsg myself
MattHGR
Bronze Member

Post by MattHGR »

tom.wright wrote:I think the clutch is disengaged when stationary on the footbrake.

Yep I noticed the same thing.

Though in D on the foot brake you can feel the engine trying harder than in N.
I'd really like to know why that is. [emoji848]

lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Thanks for the comments everyone.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

I think the start/ stop helps to reduce wear on the clutches.
Trantor
Getting There!

Post by Trantor »

Previous car was a 6C GTI and current car new GTI+. Both DSG’s. In my experience foot brake pressure had a lot to do with engine behaviour on both cars. It also affects how the stop/start operates as well. I could hear change in engine note and slight drop in revs via tachometer when applying slightly higher foot pressure on the pedal. I very rarely put gearbox in neutral when in a traffic queue, I just press a little harder on the brake pedal. Doing this I never detect a difference in engine note or revs when moving from D to N. Under light brake pressure I do. I assume the engine management system knows that if it detects higher pressure you’re definitely stopped for more than a few seconds and fully disengages the clutch but with light pressure it assumes you may be in slow moving traffic so doesn’t fully disengage the clutch to smooth out any jerkiness. If I recall there was a thread some while back along similar lines.
YehaviBourvine
New

Post by YehaviBourvine »

I got my car today's afternoon, and had to drive in a slow traffic. Indeed, when I press firmly the break pedal I notice the engine revs going slightly higher. Furthermore, when I release the break there is a small delay before the car starts moving. So this supports the theory above...

__Yehavi:
tom.wright
New
Drives: 2023 Polo GTI, Pure White

Post by tom.wright »

Glad my observations seem to match everyone elses. I used to own a Peugeot so watching the RPM gauge at idle is a habit of mine to check it's still going :lol: