GTI Towbar

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

GTI Towbar

Post by green justin »

Hi

Has anyone fitted a tow bar to their GTI? or R-Line.

Here is example of FIXED towbar fitted by a dealer. I was hoping there is not need to cut the rear plastic.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 14.27.05.png
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: GTI Towbar

Post by iichel »

Plastic must be cut
wayne10244
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI +

Post by wayne10244 »

Not if you get the removable ball head
grim007
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2019

Post by grim007 »

I have one installed.
Had the Aragon permanent towbar installed. Unfortunately there are no removable models from any brands that I could find.
Plastic has to be cut.
This is what it looks like.
It doesnt look too bad, and if you change ur mind at some point the plastic isnt that expensive to replace.
Attachments
towbar.png
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

Hi,

I am waiting to hear from places that install tow bars. Hopefully after lock down.

I am hoping i can get something that comes out from the bottom of the bumpers with a longer swan neck.
Attachments
towbar2
towbar2
towbar1
towbar1
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

Towbars for the Gti & Gti+ isn’t a factory option
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Nora wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:36 pm Towbars for the Gti & Gti+ isn’t a factory option
Presumably because of the GTI/GTI+ specific rear bumper - I dare say the optional factory fit towbar won’t fit without modification to (cutting) the GTI/GTI+ specific rear diffuser.

Sometimes, certain models aren’t type approved for towing; if so, then the car manufacturers won’t quote the towing statistics. VW do quote towing figures for the GTI/GTI+ though, so it is type approved for towing;

Towing limits; braked (12% incline); 1,200 kg. Unbraked; 590 kg. Towbar load limit; 50 kg.

However, many owners who consider having a towbar fitted to a GTI/GTI+ won’t be towing - they’ll be using the towbar to mount a cycle carrier on to transport cycles.
wayne10244
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI +

Post by wayne10244 »

Have a Pf Jones towbars as there is a selection of different types of towbars on there website
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:01 pmHowever, many owners who consider having a towbar fitted to a GTI/GTI+ won’t be towing - they’ll be using the towbar to mount a cycle carrier on to transport cycles.
I would think there are less permanent methods to transport bicycles such as roof bars and tailgate racks that won’t affect the resale value of the Gti, a Gti that’s had its rear diffuser chopped surely will be of less Value
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Nora wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:22 pm
SRGTD wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:01 pmHowever, many owners who consider having a towbar fitted to a GTI/GTI+ won’t be towing - they’ll be using the towbar to mount a cycle carrier on to transport cycles.
I would think there are less permanent methods to transport bicycles such as roof bars and tailgate racks that won’t affect the resale value of the Gti, a Gti that’s had its rear diffuser chopped surely will be of less Value
Maybe, but it comes down to personal preference. I don’t carry a cycle on my car so not an issue for me. Some owners will prefer to use a towbar mounted cycle carrier to the alternative options;
  • putting items such a cycle on the roof - if you forget it’s there and then drive somewhere with insufficient height clearance (it does happen!) - e.g. multi storey car park - you’d not only damage the cycle, but potentially cause very expensive damage to the car’s roof.
  • A tailgate rack might cause damage to the tailgate and / or the surrounding panels at the points where the rack is attached to the tailgate, especially if panel gaps are tight.
The towbar can always be removed when the time comes to sell the car and a new diffuser fitted to eliminate any potential impact on resale value that a cut out in the rear diffuser might cause. Selling the towbar can also help offset the cost of the new diffuser. Alternatively, at the website for P F Jones Towbars mentioned by @wayne10244, there are towbars that’ll fit the AW Polo GTI that don’t require the diffuser to be cut.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/towb ... wbars.html
TV8
New
Drives: A Reef Blue one!

Post by TV8 »

Looking at the link, they all say exclude GTi! Anyone actually fitted one on a Gti please?
TV8
New

Post by TV8 »

Well, a very useful discussion with Witters. After checking the Vin plate, the car can do towing and I have sent across some pictures to their technical team who are going to let me know what is possible in a day or two.
TV8
New

Post by TV8 »

Great service from Witters. They haven’t an option for the GTi due to the valance and asked me to check with Volkswagen. I did that whilst out today and there is nothing on the VW system for either a tow bar valance or a kit so a helpful person from a local dealer is going to check with VW directly and come back to me.

It’s a £104 for a new valance so not to bad if the existing one needs to be cut/modified.
timbo999
New
Drives: My wife's

Post by timbo999 »

If you intend to subsequently remove the tow-bar, make sure you get, and keep, the crash bar that is removed when the bar is fitted (it fits in place of the crash bar).

As an aside, we had a removable tow-bar fitted to Mrs T's SEL and its virtually invisible when the tow-ball is removed - no one would know it was there, certainly not any car dealer I've ever sold a car to!
TV8
New

Post by TV8 »

I found a dealer who promised he could help until I tried to book him. Life has got in the way but time to sort this now.