Dashboard rattle

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
brynteg73
New
Drives: Polo Gti+

Re: Dashboard rattle

Post by brynteg73 »

drove my gti today after what seems an age and noticed a new rattle, could not place it so i will try the handbrake button.... where did you sort it? Just place card or paper in the side of the buton?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

brynteg73 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:28 pm drove my gti today after what seems an age and noticed a new rattle, could not place it so i will try the handbrake button.... where did you sort it? Just place card or paper in the side of the buton?
It will almost certainly be the handbrake button - put your finger on it if you hear a rattle to see if it goes away.

Other common rattle on really crap roads (like those sections of motorway made from concrete blocks) from the front door opener surrounds.
sc-red
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Post by sc-red »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:49 pm
brynteg73 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:28 pm drove my gti today after what seems an age and noticed a new rattle, could not place it so i will try the handbrake button.... where did you sort it? Just place card or paper in the side of the buton?
It will almost certainly be the handbrake button - put your finger on it if you hear a rattle to see if it goes away.

Other common rattle on really crap roads (like those sections of motorway made from concrete blocks) from the front door opener surrounds.
My handbrake rattles too. Any easy DIY fixes?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

sc-red wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:02 pm

I've never gotten around to it yet, but I'm planning on pushing a piece of electricians tape up in the gap so there's no rattle room.
sc-red
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Post by sc-red »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:44 pm
sc-red wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:02 pm

I've never gotten around to it yet, but I'm planning on pushing a piece of electricians tape up in the gap so there's no rattle room.
Seems like a reasonable solution.
brynteg73
New

Post by brynteg73 »

Sorted .... it was indeed the handbrake button!!! Sounded central but i thought it was the tray under the radio and heating controls, but it was that button, put some felt tape down inside and all that noise is gone... brilliant thanks
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

brynteg73 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:22 pm Sorted .... it was indeed the handbrake button!!! Sounded central but i thought it was the tray under the radio and heating controls, but it was that button, put some felt tape down inside and all that noise is gone... brilliant thanks
I did mine at the weekend, I went to the car with a big piece of felt expecting to slide it between the handbrake button and the inside of the handle, in the end all it took was a small piece of felt (about 5mm x 10mm) slid/pushed in under the bottom of the button, job done, quiet as a mouse (that's a mouse that doesn't squeak), lol.
brynteg73
New

Post by brynteg73 »

Thats exactly what I did Clive, annoying rattle , simple fix :D
Omegaspeedy
New
Drives: MY21 Polo GTI

Post by Omegaspeedy »

Hi guys, I have a 2021 Polo GTI with 5000Kms on the clock and rattle galore from hard plastics meeting softer plastics, but my most annoying dash noise is a rattle buzz somewhere around the passenger side air vent. I've found at least two other videos of people complaining about the same rattle or noise.

I can somewhat stop that buzz/rattle by pushing the soft dash against the red or grey in my case gloss plastic surround at the air vent. (no it's not the hand brake button or louver components of the vent).

Today I squirted liberal amounts of WD40 silicon spray along all plastic interfaces in the whole car, front to back. The car is now 95% quiet and that arse whole buzz/rattle at the air vent area is much quieter. I suspect it's caused by the vertical resonance or bouncing of the dash causing an adverse rub between two different plastic types at the air vent. It is characterised by 10-15 high pitched clicks/creaks a second, similar frequency to a rattle gun but the sound of hard plastic creaking. The silicon lube takes away 70% of the loudness of that noise thank god.

So those who are getting tormented by PLASTIC rattles/creaks, lube the joints with lots of silicon spray. It leaves no marking on the dash components.

Cheers James.