2003 modified timing chain

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
simlock
New
Drives: golf mk4 130

2003 modified timing chain

Post by simlock » Wed May 20, 2020 7:58 pm

Hi, i am about to replce the timing chain my Daughters vw polo 2003, seems it's common that these chaines slip, which this one did, the next day after we bought it, just wondering if anybody knows what the modification that they did to the new version of timing chain kit??. as there are one on ebay, good brands that are modified kits, but when you take the model number from that listing, it show an identical kit, but there is no reference to it being modified, alos, it would be good to see if the existing slipped one was a modififed kit too.

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 2003 modified timing chain

Post by RUM4MO » Thu May 21, 2020 9:21 am

Instead of you needing to wait a longer time until someone that knows the exact details to come along, I'll offer what I think are the differences/improvements, based only on casually exposure of these things in VW Group motoring forums!

The dampers/rubbers are now longer, the cover is modified to help prevent the chain being able to jump and the tensioner is improved - as they always end up being needed to get improved in all VW Group engines!

Now, for what it is worth, if I were you, I'd find out the part number of the latest version of this kit from VW and see if the kits being sold claim to match that number, as typically anything being sold by a non VW Group parts seller on places like ebay are dumped/superseded versions that will cause you more grief than real savings.

This is a serious/critical area of any engine and at this stage in a car's life you really only want to do this job once, so although it costs more, I'd be heading for a VW dealer for this kit of bits - but at the end of the day it is up to you.

Edit:- it always helps if you include the model type of the engine concerned.

simlock
New

Post by simlock » Thu May 21, 2020 12:30 pm

HI, Thanks for the quick reply, evrything you say makes sense, the engine, i think, is one of the ones renound for the chain to slip, it's the ASQ, 2003 and i will call VW today to find the latest one, although that i do undertsand, VW, use very similar makes and brands, if not the same, that are advertised on ebay, out of interest, i will ask them what the cost is from them, looking at the kit that is already on the car, the dampers/rubbers/ chain guides on my Daughters are brown and black, the kits i see on ebay are black with a white stripe, and white, so i do see kits on therethat are identical in this way, but some say modified, and some don't, they even share the same part number, so in fact, are sellers unaware of what they are selling? as all new kits now are modified?? or some trying to cash on the fact the nobody puts this in their listing? obviously, i don't want to replce this chain with junk, even though we plan to sell the car, we want to put a modified kit on the car, so it's weeding out the modified kit at an appropriate price.

simlock
New

Post by simlock » Fri May 22, 2020 10:27 am

From what i have read online, it seems, all new chains are modififed, as long as they are to the new standard, found this chain, but not sure of the manufacture, and it seem very cheap for a complete kits..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRIVEMASTER- ... Swme9eXkwP what do you think ??

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO » Fri May 22, 2020 4:09 pm

Very difficult for me to say much on that, you never know when you are getting top quality at a really good price because it is in either unbranded, unknown or general aftermarket branded packaging - or total tat aimed at someone just needing to get a car going and shifted, but maybe that is all you are now aiming at doing

I've always made it my aim to buy top quality at the best price, as opposed to buying low quality at a mid range price - the devil is in the detail when buying other than from a proven supplier.