Front Assist - 'Risk of Collision'

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Front Assist - 'Risk of Collision'

Post by S_94 »

Evening all.

Over the past few days on two separate occasions I've had the following warning pop up - https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/my ... nt-assist

Now, this has popped up when there have been no cars anywhere near me. I understand the concept of it, but honestly its gone off twice when doing around 30-40 mph on a straight road with nothing near me. It's quite distracting and makes you jump a bit as there's a loud beeping noise to go with the warning. Luckily the brakes haven't kicked in themselves when this has happened.

Could there be a problem with my front sensors? The weather was clear so don't think rain could have triggered of it.

Anyone ever experienced the same?
J+silva
Bronze Member
Drives: polo conf.

Re: Front Assist - 'Risk of Collision'

Post by J+silva »

It happen to me 1 or 2 times in my Seat Ibiza with no cars near me you can change the sensor sensibility.

Enviado do meu SM-A405FN através do Tapatalk

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Would ‘foreign bodies’ such as dead insects on the VW emblem over the sensor trigger the warning? Might be worth giving the emblem a clean in case there’s anything stuck to it.

I have seen some mentions on other forums of false front assist warnings, so it happen. Sorry, can remember if there was a specific reason (or reasons) for it.
proalves
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI AW1 2019

Post by proalves »

It has also happened to me sometimes apparently out of nowhere... :?
But lately what has been driving me crazy is when I'm reversing in a parking lot and something gets in the way, whether it's a car or people, the sudden braking gets to scare. :x
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Post by Dazeredo »

It happens a lot when I'm entering and exit highways because of the rails (the car doesn't know that I'm gonna steer), but I've mine in maximum sensitivity.
The only time the car braked was on an overtake. I was gaining speed while I was being overtaked and when I change lanes I was close to the front car and my car brake for a bit but release the brakes quickly as I change for the other lane.
I get scared was with the rear assist while maneuvering the car in a tight space near a wall of bushes as the auto brake was always engaging, at least 5 times.
Simonz
Bronze Member
Drives: 2023 Life TSI

Post by Simonz »

I've had this a few times, makes you jump a bit with the loud pinging noise and display flashes up. Put it down to rogue conditions, nowhere near any vehicle. It has sometimes come up as not working when a covering of snow on the front badge. Only once did the brakes come on and it stage an intervention, I was approaching a queue of traffic a bit fast... :roll:
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Cheers all.

I'm assuming the sensors may be a touch oversensitive then. Another minor issue to add to the list of 'just deal with it'...

@SRGTD - I did have a check this morning, no dead insects or anything as the car is relatively clean.
J+silva
Bronze Member
Drives: polo conf.

Post by J+silva »

proalves wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:51 am It has also happened to me sometimes apparently out of nowhere... :?
But lately what has been driving me crazy is when I'm reversing in a parking lot and something gets in the way, whether it's a car or people, the sudden braking gets to scare. :x
It also happened to me when I was maneuvering the car but I solved that situation, when the sound increases in frequency and with the car still moving very slowly I put my foot very lightly on the brake so the sensor detects that the driver is prepared to brake and not hangs by itself.
It was always happening to me that the car would brake when I entered the garage, I have a small bump on the floor, it was enough to brake hard, less than 10km away, now whenever I am entering I put my foot on the brake and I no longer brake.
Dazeredo
Bronze Member

Post by Dazeredo »

No way to have the foot in the brake on that day, the space to maneuver was 20 cm bigger that the diagonal of the car :oops:
But I'll try that when I can 8)
proalves
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI AW1 2019

Post by proalves »

After finding out if there was a possibility to turn off this function while doing the maneuver I found this...
20200620_194623 copiar.jpg
20200620_194619 copiar.jpg
I don't know if anyone had noticed but in the assistance menu we can turn off some of the functions.
20200620_194634 copiar.jpg
20200620_194640 copiar.jpg
No more problems with reversing maneuvers, not the perfect solution but no more scares and sudden braking.:D
Dazeredo
Bronze Member

Post by Dazeredo »

I noticed that your car have more sensors that mine... Mine don't have the sensors near the laterals, front and back.
Do you have park assist?
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Dazeredo wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:42 pm I noticed that your car have more sensors that mine... Mine don't have the sensors near the laterals, front and back.
Do you have park assist?
Iam sure he does. PA comes with 4 extra sensors and Polo shows them while parking.
Dazeredo
Bronze Member

Post by Dazeredo »

If I knew that, for the difference on the price, I'd installed PA too... One thing I noticed in almost every dealer of any brand is that they aren't sure of the capacityand compatibility of the extras.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Not sure I’d want Park Assist.

When parallel parking alongside a raised pavement with Park Assist activated, your car uses the car in front and behind the space you’re going to park in as reference points. So if those cars in front and behind your intended parking space have parked badly (e.g. with their wheels scraping up against the edge of the pavement), Park Assist will also park your car in a similar way with the wheels touching the edge of the pavement, with a high risk that your alloy wheels will be damaged in the process.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:15 pm Not sure I’d want Park Assist.

When parallel parking alongside a raised pavement with Park Assist activated, your car uses the car in front and behind the space you’re going to park in as reference points. So if those cars in front and behind your intended parking space have parked badly (e.g. with their wheels scraping up against the edge of the pavement), Park Assist will also park your car in a similar way with the wheels touching the edge of the pavement, with a high risk that your alloy wheels will be damaged in the process.
I agree :) to me it is more like demo to show others than for every day use :D although I would probably consider it for bigger car like audi A6/8