Bonnet/front wing gaps

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Re: Bonnet/front wing gaps

Post by POLO Clive »

Check the bumper to wing, and bumper to quarter panel alignment as well, I've seen some really bad ones :shock:

bumper to wing.png
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

So it’s booked in for 3 weeks time, the reception man came out and immediately noticed it, especially where the grill red strip touches the near side light but about 5mm clear of the offside light. Also the bonnet is noticeably lower than the wings so the wings poke out at the ends. I think the wings might be ok it’s the bonnet, lights and grill that need adjusting. Also I’ve pointed out a knock noise from the drivers side rear suspension which they are going to look at.
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

For reference, these are from the workshop manual recently posted in another thread >
gaps 1.png
gaps 2.png
TheRacingRat
Getting There!

Post by TheRacingRat »

Thanks for that I’ll print them out and leave them on the passenger seat for them to “notice”!!
silver38
New
Drives: GTi+

Post by silver38 »

You'll have to tell them you left it. They'll pretend not to notice.
TheRacingRat
Getting There!

Post by TheRacingRat »

So just thought I would update front panels bonnet etc all been adjusted and I’m now happy. Although still dont have car back as they are investigating rear offside knock noise. So far they have replaced top mount and spring but noise still there so they are thinking maybe somewhere further down in the bodywork. It’s annoying as although it’s nice to drive the entire VW range(so far had a arteon, tiguan and now onto a golf) I just want my car back!! Can’t fault Ipswich Wolsey though they have been more than helpful.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

TheRacingRat wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:04 pm So just thought I would update front panels bonnet etc all been adjusted and I’m now happy. Although still dont have car back as they are investigating rear offside knock noise. So far they have replaced top mount and spring but noise still there so they are thinking maybe somewhere further down in the bodywork. It’s annoying as although it’s nice to drive the entire VW range(so far had a arteon, tiguan and now onto a golf) I just want my car back!! Can’t fault Ipswich Wolsey though they have been more than helpful.
Does this knock happen over bumps all the time, or just when the body is put under any sort of 'twisting' motion (cornering etc)?
My last Polo had a tailgate that made a knocking/cracking noise when the shell was put under any twisting stress, my new one is displaying the same.
Reversing out of my drive and the car 'twisting' onto the main road was a telltale.
It was solved for nearly two years on my last one by adjustment (allegedly, I'm doubtful) and lubrication (more likely), but was creeping back into my hearing range.
A good way to rule it out is to place a cloth in the corner of the tailgate the noise is coming from, so that the cloth is between the shell and tailgate.
if the noise goes, it's that.
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Here are mine for reference.
Attachments
D8714419-3454-47E6-B175-F0AF80506CEE.jpeg
D8714419-3454-47E6-B175-F0AF80506CEE.jpeg (3.77 MiB) Viewed 1295 times
BE930C81-599E-44D2-A8D0-13DF9DAFA67B.jpeg
BE930C81-599E-44D2-A8D0-13DF9DAFA67B.jpeg (4.1 MiB) Viewed 1295 times
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:32 pm
TheRacingRat wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:04 pm So just thought I would update front panels bonnet etc all been adjusted and I’m now happy. Although still dont have car back as they are investigating rear offside knock noise. So far they have replaced top mount and spring but noise still there so they are thinking maybe somewhere further down in the bodywork. It’s annoying as although it’s nice to drive the entire VW range(so far had a arteon, tiguan and now onto a golf) I just want my car back!! Can’t fault Ipswich Wolsey though they have been more than helpful.
Does this knock happen over bumps all the time, or just when the body is put under any sort of 'twisting' motion (cornering etc)?
My last Polo had a tailgate that made a knocking/cracking noise when the shell was put under any twisting stress, my new one is displaying the same.
Reversing out of my drive and the car 'twisting' onto the main road was a telltale.
It was solved for nearly two years on my last one by adjustment (allegedly, I'm doubtful) and lubrication (more likely), but was creeping back into my hearing range.
A good way to rule it out is to place a cloth in the corner of the tailgate the noise is coming from, so that the cloth is between the shell and tailgate.
if the noise goes, it's that.
A likely cause, but try getting those A-holes at VWUK to authorise the fix. My boot lock catch on the boot opening was set back about 8mm too far to the point you had to slightly slam the boot lid to close. The bottom edge of the boot lid was contacting the inner rim of the top of the bumper and rubbing paint off. I discovered the paint rub just after the sneaky 6 month clause they put into their 3 year warranty for "door adjustments" and they wouldn't touch what was clearly an assembly defect despite the dealerships support in making the claim.

Adjustment of the striker plate was easy enough.
TheRacingRat
Getting There!

Post by TheRacingRat »

So I have mention the boot flex thing to the Service Dep, apparently the Master Technician is deal with it, so far have replaced shock/spring and top mount to no avail. I’m getting fed up now, if it’s not sorted by next week I’m inclined to just take it away and live with it. It’s not a massive issue. I’ve only had my car for 4 days this month due to this and the bumper respray at the body shop before.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Ironically, on top of the tailgate/chassis-flex crack/knock that I get on occasion, I now have a knocking from the rear end of the car. :(
It happens as soon as the car is rolling, literally as soon as the wheels are rolling.
It then keeps going, even on smooth surfaces, until the general racket of the exhaust and tyres takes over.
Any ideas....? :?:
I really get the impression the build quality isn't up to the hammering it gets from the suspension in the Gti. :(
Polo72
New
Drives: Polo Life 1.0 Tsi

Post by Polo72 »

TheRacingRat wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:05 pm So it’s booked in for 3 weeks time, the reception man came out and immediately noticed it, especially where the grill red strip touches the near side light but about 5mm clear of the offside light. Also the bonnet is noticeably lower than the wings so the wings poke out at the ends. I think the wings might be ok it’s the bonnet, lights and grill that need adjusting. Also I’ve pointed out a knock noise from the drivers side rear suspension which they are going to look at.
How do you alter that gap between the bumper and rear quarter if there is a gap ?
Polo72
New
Drives: Polo Life 1.0 Tsi

Post by Polo72 »

POLO Clive wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:35 am Check the bumper to wing, and bumper to quarter panel alignment as well, I've seen some really bad ones :shock:

bumper to wing.png
How do you alter this gap between the quarter and bumper gap ? Mine has a gap more on one side than the other