Tyre pressure monitoring system faulty

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
Pascha
New
Drives: VW polo 1.4 2016

Tyre pressure monitoring system faulty

Post by Pascha »

Hello, new here.
My Polo has developed an issue with the tyre pressure monitoring system: the warning light came on suggesting that the TPM system is faulty. I’ve checked the tyres and reset the TPM system several times. I’ve taken it to the VW dealership who did the same thing and looked it over. They claim everything’s fine but that the fact that I have recently had a tyre replaced with one that doesn’t match the make of the other three means that the TPM system is confused, thus the fault coming up on the dashboard, which remains.
Is this likely? It strikes me as a design fault, if so. I certainly can’t find any advice along those lines in the handbook, nor anywhere on the internet.
Does the integrity of the TPM system really rely on all 4 tyres being the same make?
Any answers would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Tyre pressure monitoring system faulty

Post by RUM4MO »

This thread would probably have been better created in the main area for this Polo 6R/6C version.

Anyway, I accept your logic that if a new tyre has been fitted, as long as it is the correct size, load and speed rating, ie as the other 3, then it should not be upsetting the TPMS which is just monitoring the relative wheel rotations in the same as the ABS system is, though it required a fair better compliance or speed matching than the ABS system does, it would be crazy if it required every tyre to be the same model to be able to operate without ghost warnings.

So, is this new tyres the same size and speed rating and load rating as the other 3?
Pascha
New

Post by Pascha »

Firstly, thanks for taking the time and effort to reply and apologies for posting it in the wrong thread.

The specifications of all 4 tyres are: 185/60 R15
Where the new tyre differs from the other three is: 88H XL (new tyre) vs 84H (original tyres)

I’m not sure if those numbers were the ones you required, but they were the only ones I could identify on the tyre wall with the help of a torch.My knowledge of cars is somewhat limited, I’m afraid . . .
Pascha
New

Post by Pascha »

Sorry - I meant to say apologies for posting it in the wrong area.

Having briefly researched the difference between XL and SL tyres, it appears that the former require - or can handle - higher tyre pressure as well as having thicker tread. It sounds like this may be the issue. Or am I talking nonsense?