Gearbox shaft bearing or clutch release bearing?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
alexpc
New
Drives: 2008 1.4 TDi Match 3 Door

Gearbox shaft bearing or clutch release bearing?

Post by alexpc »

Hi all,

I’ve got a 9N3 Polo with a 5 speed manual which I recently took to the mechanic for what I thought was a wheel bearing on the passenger side, turns out it’s a bearing somewhere in the transmission.

The noise sounds just like a bearing gone bad. It is noticeable when in gear and when in neutral with the clutch pedal up, the noise goes away instantly when the clutch is depressed. Nothing is wrong with the actual shifting or feel of the clutch pedal itself, and the noise doesn’t seem to get any louder as I rev the engine in neutral.

Mechanics said it’s a bad bearing and I need to replace the entire gearbox (since it’ll be cheaper than a repair) however I did some research and i’m inclined to think it’s the clutch release bearing instead of the input shaft bearing (they didn’t mention a specific bearing being bad but this is the only other bearing which if faulty would have similar symptoms).

I’ve seen in other posts that the release bearing may be noisy with the clutch up but stops once the clutch pedal is down as the pressure plate then stops it from rattling, others have said that the release bearing shouldn’t be spinning unless the clutch pedal is down.

The car has done just under 100k mi and i’m not sure if it’s ever had a new clutch (my guess is it hasn’t) and so a bad release bearing seems more likely than a gearbox shaft bearing?

I’m taking it to another mechanic on Monday for a second opinion anyway, but any input is appreciated

Thanks
SamBW
New
Drives: 9n 1.4tdi

Re: Gearbox shaft bearing or clutch release bearing?

Post by SamBW »

Hi Alex,
What did this turn out to be? Think mine's got the same problem, same mileage too. Growling noise when clutch is released (engaged) and silent when pressed.
TYIA
S