Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by steeve »

Stone dead silence from our dealer. They've been appalling since it was ordered in early November. We can only get information when we call them!

We were told perhaps mid August, but then again we were told April or May before that. Its a new car for my wife, her second Polo GTI, for me I'd cancel it today and look for a make where the dealers actually care and demonstrate some customer service.
But we have an agreed price and there's been two price rises since ordering it.
sirwolfie
New
Drives: A45

Post by sirwolfie »

steeve wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:43 am Stone dead silence from our dealer. They've been appalling since it was ordered in early November. We can only get information when we call them!

We were told perhaps mid August, but then again we were told April or May before that. Its a new car for my wife, her second Polo GTI, for me I'd cancel it today and look for a make where the dealers actually care and demonstrate some customer service.
But we have an agreed price and there's been two price rises since ordering it.
My daughter ordered hers late November, just before the December price increase. Latest update from the dealer is that it’s on the boat with an ETA at them last week in August. All good for September delivery/registration which is what she wanted.
Bearmode
New
Drives: 2019 R-line

Post by Bearmode »

Just had my weekly call from my dealer telling me that my car still hasn't left the port in SA. It's already built, and arrived at the exit port about 4 weeks ago. Apparently has a number of T-Rocs and Polos in similar situations, with no word from VW on when they can be counted on to arrive.
KayakerPaul
Getting There!
Drives: R line - if it arrives

Post by KayakerPaul »

Bearmode wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:57 pm Just had my weekly call from my dealer telling me that my car still hasn't left the port in SA. It's already built, and arrived at the exit port about 4 weeks ago. Apparently has a number of T-Rocs and Polos in similar situations, with no word from VW on when they can be counted on to arrive.
This is interesting, as the Silver Ray carrier that these cars should have been on, had an extra 1,500 cars on it.
Hopefully July`s carrier is in port, and will leave around the end of this month, I know from another forum there is a carrier due to leave.
There is a car carrier called the Aquarius leader in port, but it looks as if it is going to Spain.
Philip GTI
New
Drives: Gti

Post by Philip GTI »

Asked my Dealer for delivery update…
Said should be reaching end of production line so hopefully delivery around October…..

However I did see some pigs outside my window flying around eating ice cream 🍦! …

Fingers crossed 🤞
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

KayakerPaul wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:00 am
Bearmode wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:57 pm Just had my weekly call from my dealer telling me that my car still hasn't left the port in SA. It's already built, and arrived at the exit port about 4 weeks ago. Apparently has a number of T-Rocs and Polos in similar situations, with no word from VW on when they can be counted on to arrive.
This is interesting, as the Silver Ray carrier that these cars should have been on, had an extra 1,500 cars on it.
Hopefully July`s carrier is in port, and will leave around the end of this month, I know from another forum there is a carrier due to leave.
There is a car carrier called the Aquarius leader in port, but it looks as if it is going to Spain.
Think you might be missing a ship already at sea. Mine, I’m told, is aboard Pelagic Piranha (sailed 12 July) due at Bremerhaven on 3 Aug. Does it stop at Emden first or after Bremerhaven? I’m not sure,but will be looking forShip out of Emden bound for Sheerness. I seem to recall the Northsea vehicle carriers are all xxxxxx Highway.

Getting exciting now, but still 3-5weeks to wait I’d say.
KayakerPaul
Getting There!
Drives: R line - if it arrives

Post by KayakerPaul »

AndyGTi wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:47 pm
KayakerPaul wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:00 am

Think you might be missing a ship already at sea. Mine, I’m told, is aboard Pelagic Piranha (sailed 12 July) due at Bremerhaven on 3 Aug. Does it stop at Emden first or after Bremerhaven? I’m not sure,but will be looking forShip out of Emden bound for Sheerness. I seem to recall the Northsea vehicle carriers are all xxxxxx Highway.

Getting exciting now, but still 3-5weeks to wait I’d say.
Ship tracking isn't easy, as I don't subscribe- so can't go backwards with dates. With Silver Ray, it stopped in Belgium for a day, and then on to Emden , where it's been now for a few days. I assume Bremerhaven is the dispatch port which sorts the car to their countries ?
I can honestly say this is the first car ever that we have taken such interest in a build history and journey. :lol:
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

My dealership is pretty good with video updates for my car order. I'm told status 30 in transit from factory. Pretty slow maybe considering they built it in June. Answers on a postcard.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

johnpolo2 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:05 pm My dealership is pretty good with video updates for my car order. I'm told status 30 in transit from factory. Pretty slow maybe considering they built it in June. Answers on a postcard.
Well I think its (the ship that is)into European waters. Trouble is there could be a few weeks messing about, then car at port waiting for Car transporter, then dealer doing PDI. Soonest you'll see it is late 20s of August (or if going for 72 reg obviously a wait into Sept).

Any useful updates I spot then I will update you.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Thanks Andy.
I think my confusion is that I thought there were further status codes to say arrived at SA port etc and so on. Or do they skip those now and 'in transit from factory' generally covers travel to port and onto Europe and everything else.
Dealership think it's possible it arrives this month and I'll have it in September for new plate.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

johnpolo2 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:43 pm Thanks Andy.
I think my confusion is that I thought there were further status codes to say arrived at SA port etc and so on. Or do they skip those now and 'in transit from factory' generally covers travel to port and onto Europe and everything else.
Dealership think it's possible it arrives this month and I'll have it in September for new plate.
Mine looks to be in the same state as yours (IE. stuck at status 30) and it was built the first week in June.

Status codes "should" after 30 move to:
36 = Vehicle in port of exit - not released
38 = Vehicle in port of exit - released to shipping
39 = Vehicle on ship
40 = Vehicle arrival at UK port
60 = Dispatched to dealer
70 = Vehicle arrived at dealer

Last time I spoke to my dealer, he said that he would still be expecting the status codes to get updated. So read into that what you want (IE. God only knows).

I shall chase them up again this coming Wednesday, as it will be 2 weeks since I last hassled them.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MikeDO wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:00 pm
johnpolo2 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:43 pm Thanks Andy.
Mine looks to be in the same state as yours (IE. stuck at status 30) and it was built the first week in June.

Status codes "should" after 30 move to:
36 = Vehicle in port of exit - not released
38 = Vehicle in port of exit - released to shipping
39 = Vehicle on ship
40 = Vehicle arrival at UK port
60 = Dispatched to dealer
70 = Vehicle arrived at dealer

Last time I spoke to my dealer, he said that he would still be expecting the status codes to get updated. So read into that what you want (IE. God only knows).

I shall chase them up again this coming Wednesday, as it will be 2 weeks since I last hassled them.
I think vehicles being stuck on status 30 is probably a consequence of the ongoing semiconductor supply issue that’s still affecting motor manufacturers and their suppliers.

For what it’s worth, my take on the situation is;
  • cars that have been stuck on status code 30 for some time have probably been built but are likely to be currently missing certain semiconductor-dependent parts / components.
  • These ‘part-built’ vehicles are being moved into storage facilities pending delivery of those missing parts / components; once the missing parts are delivered to VW, the build of these vehicles will be completed, at which time they should then move to status 36.
From what I’ve read on other forums, this has been happening for a while within VAG. Some other manufacturers - e.g. BMW - have adopted a different approach and have been building cars with reduced levels of spec (i.e. either leaving out certain items of semiconductor-dependent equipment of downgrading items of equipment to a lower level) to minimise disruption to vehicle production and to get cars delivered to customers without significant delays.

I think I would prefer the VW approach, even if it did mean waiting longer for my car, rather than the BMW approach which would mean the car I would be getting wouldn’t be the car I’d ordered.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:15 pm
I think vehicles being stuck on status 30 is probably a consequence of the ongoing semiconductor supply issue that’s still affecting motor manufacturers and their suppliers.

For what it’s worth, my take on the situation is;
  • cars that have been stuck on status code 30 for some time have probably been built but are likely to be currently missing certain semiconductor-dependent parts / components.
  • These ‘part-built’ vehicles are being moved into storage facilities pending delivery of those missing parts / components; once the missing parts are delivered to VW, the build of these vehicles will be completed, at which time they should then move to status 36.
This has been happening for a while within VAG. Some other manufacturers - e.g. BMW - have adopted a different approach and have been building cars with reduced levels of spec (i.e. either leaving out certain items of semiconductor-dependent equipment of downgrading items of equipment to a lower level) to minimise disruption to vehicle production and to get cars delivered to customers without significant delays.

I think I would prefer the VW approach, even if it did mean waiting longer for my car, rather than the BMW approach which would mean the car I would be getting wouldn’t be the car I’d ordered.
You could be correct.

But my dealer assured me (ha ha) that once the "Commission status" moved to 4 (which mine has) that the build is "fully" complete.

But who knows to be honest. Just got to sit tight and see what happens I suppose.

PS. Could be worse (as you say).
Ford are removing loads of "standard" stuff from their cars to get them to the dealers (EG. Power folding mirrors, auto windows closing, SYNC3 etc. etc.) I'd be well annoyed if I ordered a car with a specific spec and half of the stuff was missing.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MikeDO wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:32 pm You could be correct.

But my dealer assured me (ha ha) that once the "Commission status" moved to 4 (which mine has) that the build is "fully" complete.

But who knows to be honest. Just got to sit tight and see what happens I suppose.

PS. Could be worse (as you say).
Ford are removing loads of "standard" stuff from their cars to get them to the dealers (EG. Power folding mirrors, auto windows closing, SYNC3 etc. etc.) I'd be well annoyed if I ordered a car with a specific spec and half of the stuff was missing.
Yes, I’d heard that Ford were also removing standard equipment from some of their cars, and that it wouldn’t be possible to retrofit some of those items.

Two other possible reasons for cars being stuck on status 30 - purely speculative on my part;
  • a shortage of shipping vessels (I don’t know if there is a shortage - I’m just speculating)
  • If supply chain issues have meant production has been running below normal levels, VW may have recently ramped up production to clear any backlog of orders, A short term consequence of doing that could mean logistical issues such as there being more cars to be shipped than there are shipping vessels to take them.
Bear in mind that car salespeople don’t always tell the truth 😲🤣; sometimes (probably quite often), they’ll tell customers what they think the customer wants to hear, so you’ll probably never know the real reason for the long wait at status 30.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

As mentioned on thread above, I'm told my car is on Pelagic Piranha (which sailed 12 July from Port Elizabeth). It called into Southampton yesterday (perhaps to load up with some Minis or Jag Land Rover vehicles)
Its now out in the English Channel heading for ....EMDEN (with ETA of 4 Aug 0800hrs).

I know its been discussed before on what happens to Polos at Emden, so there might be another stage beyond the simple logistics of moving the car, but from my internet research the shipping company have 7-10 working days to get it shipped across the North Sea and then once the cars arrive at UK ports, the transporters have 7-10 working days to get car to dealer. Then we have the PDI and then its collection day. So sounds like 72 Reg all around.

I know it will be mentioned about current restraints, limited staff and transportation etc so the above timescales may be too tight. However as it seems like there are a few of us with BW around 21-25 then it seems possible that there will be some other members cars on the ship.

Also, can't remember which forum I read it on, but one poster says his dealer (to paraphrase), he tells a customer the update on production says...its still saying its built, but then the next day he looks out window and the transporter has just arrived with that customer's car (and its jumped 4 stages). Hopefully that will re-assure you @MikeDO