Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by SRGTD »

johnpolo2 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:22 am The GTI logo positioning reminds me of guys who may have a more base model car but have managed to get hold of a GTI badge and then they put it on in a different way, have seen it over the years.
Like to meet the person who signed it off thinking it looked good. Just naff.
It seems to be the current trend to have the model name badge placed centrally on the tailgate. VAG have been doing it with Seat for many years, and now the same approach has been adopted for Skoda and VW.

I suppose that as the Polo GTI doesn’t have a ‘Polo’ badge, then presumably VW felt the GTI badge had to be centrally positioned for the sake of badge placement consistency. Same with the Golf GTI and R models - the Golf R with the single letter ‘R’ in a strange stylised font centrally placed on the tailgate looks particularly weird IMHO;
AD3E7DEE-B33C-41A2-A365-7763F77E3DF8.jpeg
AD3E7DEE-B33C-41A2-A365-7763F77E3DF8.jpeg (60.16 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

I would be either, removing the badge and reapplying centrally with different spacing so it doesn’t look weirdly offset or, just moving it to the bottom left.

I saw a kings red on 17’s at a derby dealership today. Couple of things, glad i didnt go kings red (it was an overcast day but it still looked dull). The tyres, as mentioned, were michelin primacys.

And someone said something about infotainment screen issues with the youtube guy from SA… yeah that looks annoying - reckon he is probably just unlucky though.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:03 am
johnpolo2 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:22 am The GTI logo positioning reminds me of guys who may have a more base model car but have managed to get hold of a GTI badge and then they put it on in a different way, have seen it over the years.
Like to meet the person who signed it off thinking it looked good. Just naff.
It seems to be the current trend to have the model name badge placed centrally on the tailgate. VAG have been doing it with Seat for many years, and now the same approach has been adopted for Skoda and VW.

I suppose that as the Polo GTI doesn’t have a ‘Polo’ badge, then presumably VW felt the GTI badge had to be centrally positioned for the sake of badge placement consistency. Same with the Golf GTI and R models - the Golf R with the single letter ‘R’ in a strange stylised font centrally placed on the tailgate looks particularly weird IMHO;

AD3E7DEE-B33C-41A2-A365-7763F77E3DF8.jpeg
I do agree the central lettering is a bit weird. However at least with the R it’s a single letter under VW badge.

I think it’s worse for GTI because of the shape of the letters. I’m taking a look at GTD & GTE as these should look more balanced....but I’m not buying one.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

ad_182_uk wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:16 pm I would be either, removing the badge and reapplying centrally with different spacing so it doesn’t look weirdly offset or, just moving it to the bottom left.

I saw a kings red on 17’s at a derby dealership today. Couple of things, glad i didnt go kings red (it was an overcast day but it still looked dull). The tyres, as mentioned, were michelin primacys.

And someone said something about infotainment screen issues with the youtube guy from SA… yeah that looks annoying - reckon he is probably just unlucky though.
Yes, I think moving over to left hand side is a tempting modification

Yes, hopefully it’s a one off on the infotainment front.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

ad_182_uk wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:16 pm I would be either, removing the badge and reapplying centrally with different spacing so it doesn’t look weirdly offset or, just moving it to the bottom left.

Kings Red is one of those colours that seems to be very light sensitive (most colours are to a certain extent) and appears to change colour depending on how dull or bright the lighting conditions are. I’ve seen Kings Red mk8 Golf GTI’s look really good in bright, sunny conditions but in dull, overcast conditions it can look almost like a dull copper brown colour. IMHO Flash Red that was the ‘free’ colour on the pre-facelift Polo GTI works better on the GTI, as did Tornado Red on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf GTI, but that’s just my opinion.

It’s a little concerning that there are issues with the infotainment screen and accessing functions that can only be accessed via the screen. Hopefully it’s just an isolated incident, but if the mk8 Golf’s software / hardware is anything to go by, maybe not (I wonder if the facelift Polo shares the mk8 Golf’s software and hardware?). For those that are unaware, the mk8 Golf was afflicted with software gremlins from day one and - to a lesser extent - hardware issues - e.g. erroneous warning messages, screens freezing and / or going blank, audio volume unresponsive to changes. VW is rolling out a ‘big fix’ for the Golf - it’s only taken them just over two years 😮 and it doesn’t fix all the issues. There’s been a further software update since the ‘big fix’ to fix some of the issues the ‘big fix’ didn’t fix.

It would be useful if forum members could post their facelift Polo ownership experiences when the get their cars - especially any software and hardware related issues.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I thought I’d seen that instead of a big fix they’d just did a new system. Can’t remember if it was autogefuehl or someone else, but they basically put a whole new system in for this years mk8 golf.

Touchwood my Tiguan has been faultless for infotainment and it’s on the newer system with updates over the air etc. started getting used to the climate control system too being touchpad, but would rather have a knob back.

Wouldn’t put me off switching back to a gti now the big chocolate lunatic, aka my dog, is nearly fully grown.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:35 pm I thought I’d seen that instead of a big fix they’d just did a new system. Can’t remember if it was autogefuehl or someone else, but they basically put a whole new system in for this years mk8 golf.
New hardware for new cars. The big fix is for the many existing mk8 Golf owners who’ve had to live with various software / hardware issues in their cars.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member

Post by ad_182_uk »

I thought the majority on the infotainment in the facelift looked pretty much identical to the gti plus pre facelift, which is why i was suprised at the SA guys issues.

Granted the facelift has the digi-touch climate unit but would of thought this was a non issue in regard the stereo and clocks area.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

ad_182_uk wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:43 pm I thought the majority on the infotainment in the facelift looked pretty much identical to the gti plus pre facelift, which is why i was suprised at the SA guys issues.

Granted the facelift has the digi-touch climate unit but would of thought this was a non issue in regard the stereo and clocks area.
Yes on one review for Polo the reviewer referenced tech was more Golf 7.5 than mk8. Clearly I have no knowledge of either, so not sure.

But on basis of later build more chance of having any issues sorted (well that’s how I see it)
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member

Post by ad_182_uk »

Can someone clarify that the facelift gets the DQ381 7speed DSG?
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

7 speed.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

I'm wondering if the new car comes with the registration plate plinth?
Wife has a personal plate and can get away with a shorter (but legal) reg plate. The old model had a recess on the front bumper which looked odd if you didn't fill it.
Does anyone know?

Find it poor that dealers are obviously drilling the rear to fit that plate, as there are no captive nuts for the rear. Why on earth not fit sticky pads rather than uses self tappers.
Last edited by steeve on Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
RinDman
New
Drives: Polo AW GTI DSG6

Post by RinDman »

ad_182_uk wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:32 am Can someone clarify that the facelift gets the DQ381 7speed DSG?
DQ380 ! The DQ381 is for AWD with Haldex
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

steeve wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:47 am I'm wondering if the new car comes with the registration plate plinth?
Wife has a personal plate and can get away with a shorter (but legal) reg plate. The old model had a recess on the front bumper which looked odd if you didn't fill it.
Does anyone know?

Find it poor that dealers are obviously drilling the rear to fit that plate, as there are no captive nuts for the rear. Why on earth not fit sticky pads rather than uses self tappers.
I think you can just see the plinth in the pictures of the white GTI posted by @AndyGTI on 26/04/2022 in this discussion thread.

My dealer used sticky pads on both of my registration plates on my pre-facelift GTI+.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Called my dealer before delivery and asked them not to screw the plates in. They'll stick them on if you ask. :)