Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Wetherfell
New
Drives: None at present

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by Wetherfell »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:02 pm
Philip GTI wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:59 pm Anyone tried the buttons on the steering wheel and climate control? Any issues?
O

If there are dealers with new Polo GTI’s in stock as @Wetherfell has suggested,
The York branch of JCT600 certainly had a demo when I called in.
Bearmode
New
Drives: 2019 R-line

Post by Bearmode »

Philip GTI wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:36 am Many thanks for very detailed and informative reply👍
I mean, there's not all that much to say. If you've used capacitive buttons before you'll have a good idea how they feel. The climate controls are responsive, but it's much harder to tell what you're doing than with a physical dial (as is the same with every other capacitive control). Steering wheel is the same. You have to take your eyes off the road to properly use them, at least at first.
es_paradis
New
Drives: 2023 GTI Pure White

Post by es_paradis »

Some youtubers lifted the bonnet and apparently the car doesn't have a plastic engine cover. Is that normal?

My company's VW Caddy van doesn't have one either (it's from 2016 and has around 50k miles) and the engine looks a bit... worn? No complaints about reliability though. But some parts look a bit rusted.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

es_paradis wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:46 pm Some youtubers lifted the bonnet and apparently the car doesn't have a plastic engine cover. Is that normal?

My company's VW Caddy van doesn't have one either (it's from 2016 and has around 50k miles) and the engine looks a bit... worn? No complaints about reliability though. But some parts look a bit rusted.
Was it a mk8 Golf GTI or facelift Polo GTI in the YouTube video? The the engine cover on the mk8 Golf GTI an R models is subject to a safety recall and isn’t currently being fitted. I don’t know if the facelift Polo GTI is subject to the same safety recall.

With the Golf GTI and R, there’s a risk the engine cover may become loose irrespective of how the car is driven, resulting in the risk of engine compartment fire if a dislodged engine cover comes into contact with certain (hot) component parts in the engine compartment. As a consequence, cars aren’t currently being fitted with a plastic engine cover in the factory, and any that did have a cover fitted are having the covers removed. A replacement redesigned cover is to be produced in due course, but given VW’s current long lead times just to get cars built, redesigning and getting replacement covers manufactured probably aren’t a high priority for VW at the moment.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

On the videos I’ve seen on YouTube, the facelift gti has an engine cover but no longer has any badging on it. My pre-facelift had a Vw logo and I’m sure my wife’s 2016 gti had a gti logo on the cover.
Bearmode
New
Drives: 2019 R-line

Post by Bearmode »

es_paradis wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:46 pm Some youtubers lifted the bonnet and apparently the car doesn't have a plastic engine cover. Is that normal?

The one I test drove didn't have an enginer cover 🤷‍♂️ ones I've seen on Youtube do have them
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:58 pm On the videos I’ve seen on YouTube, the facelift gti has an engine cover but no longer has any badging on it. My pre-facelift had a Vw logo and I’m sure my wife’s 2016 gti had a gti logo on the cover.
I think removing the VW logo from the engine cover on the pre-facelift GTI / GTI+ happened around May/June 2020. I seem to remember you got your GTI+ in late July / Early Aug 2020. I took delivery of mine in Sept 2020 (so it was probably built in June 2020) and it didn’t have the VW logo on the engine cover.

My 2016 previous generation GTI had a VW logo (not a GTI logo) on the engine cover.
RinDman
New
Drives: Polo AW GTI DSG6

Post by RinDman »

I've got my Polo aw GTI around September 2019, the logo was already removed. We are still on the gen3b, never heard any major problems or recall on this engine yet. Only time will tell ...
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

RinDman wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:55 pm I've got my Polo aw GTI around September 2019, the logo was already removed. We are still on the gen3b, never heard any major problems or recall on this engine yet. Only time will tell ...
No, I’ve not heard of any recalls on the engine either. It was the plastic engine cover in the mk8 Golf GTI and R that was the subject of the safety recall; not a recall on the actual engine.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:55 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:58 pm On the videos I’ve seen on YouTube, the facelift gti has an engine cover but no longer has any badging on it. My pre-facelift had a Vw logo and I’m sure my wife’s 2016 gti had a gti logo on the cover.
I think removing the VW logo from the engine cover on the pre-facelift GTI / GTI+ happened around May/June 2020. I seem to remember you got your GTI+ in late July / Early Aug 2020. I took delivery of mine in Sept 2020 (so it was probably built in June 2020) and it didn’t have the VW logo on the engine cover.

My 2016 previous generation GTI had a VW logo (not a GTI logo) on the engine cover.
Yeah I collected mine august 2020 and it was built March 2020 and had the cover with the VW logo on. My wife’s United is a 70 plate she got September 2020 and it doesn’t have a logo on.

Wasn’t sure on the 2016 car, haven’t seen it in three years and didn’t take pictures of the engine bay to double check. Very likely I was wrong on that one.
es_paradis
New
Drives: 2023 GTI Pure White

Post by es_paradis »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:41 pm

Was it a mk8 Golf GTI or facelift Polo GTI in the YouTube video? The the engine cover on the mk8 Golf GTI an R models is subject to a safety recall and isn’t currently being fitted. I don’t know if the facelift Polo GTI is subject to the same safety recall.

With the Golf GTI and R, there’s a risk the engine cover may become loose irrespective of how the car is driven, resulting in the risk of engine compartment fire if a dislodged engine cover comes into contact with certain (hot) component parts in the engine compartment. As a consequence, cars aren’t currently being fitted with a plastic engine cover in the factory, and any that did have a cover fitted are having the covers removed. A replacement redesigned cover is to be produced in due course, but given VW’s current long lead times just to get cars built, redesigning and getting replacement covers manufactured probably aren’t a high priority for VW at the moment.
It was the facelifted GTI - one was in Denmark and the other in Australia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzoc-3d ... ilhandelDk (5:16) - I asked the guy in the comments and he said that the car came without the cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unhaMsk ... olkswizard this one is also without it

Strange!

Anyway, ordered mine on the 18th of February, called the dealer the other day to check if there is any info, they said that the exact delivery date will be known around the 1st of July. Fingers crossed...
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

es_paradis wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:59 am [quote=SRGTD post_id=591328 time=<a href="tel:1655224876">1655224876</a> user_id=22543]
[quote=es_paradis post_id=591321 time=<a href="tel:1655218001">1655218001</a> user_id=33910]
Some youtubers lifted the bonnet and apparently the car doesn't have a plastic engine cover. Is that normal?

[/quote]

It was the facelifted GTI - one was in Denmark and the other in Australia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzoc-3d ... ilhandelDk (5:16) - I asked the guy in the comments and he said that the car came without the cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unhaMsk ... olkswizard this one is also without it

Strange!

Anyway, ordered mine on the 18th of February, called the dealer the other day to check if there is any info, they said that the exact delivery date will be known around the 1st of July. Fingers crossed...
[/quote]

Yes my GTI should be being built this week, so by end of month it may be on a boat sailing North.
jaz
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI

Post by jaz »

My GTI arrived at the start of the week with no cover.

I assume we will get a replacement when the Golf ones are issued.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

jaz wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:18 pm My GTI arrived at the start of the week with no cover.

Congratulations on your new car, what colour and spec did you go for. I guess it will be added to the list of service items once they ahve sorted out a replacement for all these cars. (Can't help thinking, the cost saving plan hasn't worked out as they would like)
jaz
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI

Post by jaz »

AndyGTi wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:09 pm
jaz wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:18 pm My GTI arrived at the start of the week with no cover.

Congratulations on your new car, what colour and spec did you go for. I guess it will be added to the list of service items once they ahve sorted out a replacement for all these cars. (Can't help thinking, the cost saving plan hasn't worked out as they would like)
Reef Blue with the standard alloys.
Options are the same as my previous R-Line.... Heated Seats and Rear View camera... both indispensable.