Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by steeve »

We were going to get a new A1 40 TFSI Competition to replace my wife's GTI. But amazingly that car can't have adaptive cruise fitted (though all others can!) So weve cancelled the order and have the deposit back.
Only car we are now considering is a new Polo GTI but not available to configure at the moment.

Is anyone considering the new model?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by SRGTD »

I don’t think there’s been any discussion on the forum by anyone considering the facelift version, so presumably no one on here is thinking of ordering one yet.

If it has the same generation of software as the latest models of the Golf, Seat Leon, Audi A3 and Skoda Octavia, there’s a good chance it’ll suffer from a number of software gremlins that are currently affecting the above models.

I’d wait until the majority of the software issues have been fixed in the above cars before placing an order for the facelift Polo GTI. I’d also be put off slightly by the touchpad for the heating, ventilation and air con. It’s positioned quite low down in the Polo, so IMHO would almost certainly require the driver to look at the panel when making adjustments, rather than focus on the road ahead.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

If you otherwise like the Audi, is adaptive cruise such a big deal?
I find it a major pain and I've tried it in various cars.
Even on minimum settings it's far too quick to slow down for a car in lane 1, meaning you have to pull into lane 2 far earlier than normal to avoid the braking.
Give me normal cruise any day.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

Sadly following an accident at home which damaged my right ankle adaptive cruise is a must for long journeys.
we are not looking to change until March, but will be placing an order next week.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

steeve wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:04 am Sadly following an accident at home which damaged my right ankle adaptive cruise is a must for long journeys.
we are not looking to change until March, but will be placing an order next week.
I have adaptive cruise on my Polo, and I think it's great and when on a motorway and your coming up to a slower car, you'll see the speed just dropping off, it gives you plenty of time to look in your mirrors indicate and to pull out to overtake, don't take any notice of good old Andy Beats, his idea about travelling on a motorway is 80+ mph, "I've got a GTI I can do 80+ mph, it's my rights though the limit is only 70 mph".

Still, he's now going to an electric car and now really hates all ICE motors and feels that the forum is depressing him :lol:
We've never seen eye to eye, he'll be a great loss to the forum :lol:
Manclad
New
Drives: GTi +

Post by Manclad »

I don't think it's open for order until March 2022 and my dealer thinks it will then be another 12 months before any chance of delivery due to current supply problem.

Also think like SRGTD that moving to a touch panel for HVAC is a backward step and the gloss red interior , seat design and DSG lever look terrible to me compared to pre facelift.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

From what I read at time of announcement (international press) the Polo GTI will have 152KW (207ps) vs the pre face lift 147KW (200ps). Meanwhile here in SA local press states the face lift Polo will have the same power outputs as its predecessor:
https://www.cars.co.za/motoring-news/20 ... sa/108872/
Probably due the cost I guess. The Polo GTI went from R398000.00 (19 415,43 Pounds) in 2018 to R466500.00 (22 757,04 Pounds) today, befor ticking the option boxes. Also no mention if its a 6 or 7 dpeed DSG altohugh it wouldn;t surpise me to see a 6 speed box.
Manclad
New

Post by Manclad »

As run out pre facelift already have 207ps and 7 speed box I'd be surprised if facelift changes that when it eventually arrives. Pretty much what power pre facelift GTI has anyway.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:07 pm From what I read at time of announcement (international press) the Polo GTI will have 152KW (207ps) vs the pre face lift 147KW (200ps). Meanwhile here in SA local press states the face lift Polo will have the same power outputs as its predecessor:
https://www.cars.co.za/motoring-news/20 ... sa/108872/
Probably due the cost I guess. The Polo GTI went from R398000.00 (19 415,43 Pounds) in 2018 to R466500.00 (22 757,04 Pounds) today, befor ticking the option boxes. Also no mention if its a 6 or 7 dpeed DSG altohugh it wouldn;t surpise me to see a 6 speed box.
There were some changes / updates to the last of the pre-facelift GTI earlier this year which included the power uplift to 207 ps and a 7 speed DSG transmission, along with some other minor changes to badging - the repositioned centrally placed ‘GTI’ badge on the tailgate to below the VW hatch handle, the new style font used for ‘VW’ badging on the alloy wheel centre caps and steering wheel centre boss, and for ‘GTI’ badging on the front wings, front grille, tailgate and (I think) the steering wheel. Some of the tech in the car may have also been updated. I think these were the 2021 model year changes.

Maybe VW were using the last of the pre-facelift models as a testbed for the mechanical changes, so they could get some early customer feedback prior to the order books opening for the facelift model next year?
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Received this reply from VW SA this morning upon my enquiry:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (26.89 KiB) Viewed 13140 times
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:38 am Received this reply from VW SA this morning upon my enquiry:

Capture.JPG
Interesting………🤔

In reality, I doubt anyone changing from a pre-facelift to a facelift model would really notice the small power uplift. I wonder if the gear ratios in the 7 speed DSG are pretty much the same for gears 1-6 in the 6 speed box, with 7th gear being mainly for higher speed motorway type driving?
Manclad
New

Post by Manclad »

New GTi available for order today and configuration possible. Just one model now starting at £26430. Hefty price rise compared to pre facelift. A couple of options and close to a £30k car. Wow!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Manclad wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:19 pm New GTi available for order today and configuration possible. Just one model now starting at £26430. Hefty price rise compared to pre facelift. A couple of options and close to a £30k car. Wow!
The spec of the facelift GTI is quite closely aligned to the pre-facelift GTI+ as I dare say the ‘plus’ was the preferred choice for buyers, rather than the quite poorly equipped (IMHO) ‘non-plus’ model. I think with the pre-facelift, the ‘plus’ was a UK-only model - I don’t think there were any non-UK markets with a GTI+ model. I see that keyless entry isn’t part of the standard spec for the new GTI (it’s now a £330 option) - IMHO that’s a good thing; it’s certainly something I could live without and if it hadn’t been part of the standard spec when I bought my car, it’s something I wouldn’t have paid extra for.

A list price before options of nearly £26.5k does sound quite expensive compared to a pre-facelift GTi+, although the facelift GTI does get a small performance boost, a 7 speed DSG, LED matrix headlights and the latest tech over the outgoing GTI+ which would account for some of the price increase. I’ve just configured one as close as I could to my GTI+‘s spec, and the equivalent facelift GTI has a list price that’s around 12.5% more than the list price was for my GTI+ when I ordered it back in Feb last year. I also got a very good discount off list price when I ordered my car.

Would I be tempted to buy a facelift GTI? No, I wouldn’t. For me, spending ££££’s just to get a mildly refreshed model that IMHO doesn’t offer anything that’s significant different to my 14 month old, 5,300 mile car would be difficult for me to justify. I prefer the classic tartan upholstery in my car over VW’s modern interpretation used for the upholstery in the facelift GTI too. I also don’t like the touch pad panel for heating, ventilation and air con in the new model which, with its quite low down position in the car, will be much more difficult - and arguably not as safe - to use while driving compared to the standard rotary controls in my car.

It’ll be interesting to see how the price compares to Ford’s recently announced facelift Fiesta ST.
Manclad
New

Post by Manclad »

Agreed SRGTD. Spec for spec it's 11% more from my car and I really don't like the new seats or gear stick as look cheap to me. I expect the Fiesta ST will be close in price in a similar spec. It's amazing to think how quickly across the board car how high prices on all cars have become in a short space of time.
sirwolfie
New
Drives: A45

Post by sirwolfie »

Went to see my local dealer yesterday and they didn't know anything about being able to order the Polo GTI. He did say that delivery on any VW car was around 6-8 months and that a price increase was due 1st December.

Anyone else have any further info?