Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Re: Any one ordered the new facelift GTI?

Post by MikeDO »

@AndyGTi ... the post you are referring to above, was actually made by me and is on PistonHeads. Just taking every opportunity for a good old moan, that's me.

Just spoken to me dealer again (last update was 2 weeks ago) and he says that by all accounts the cars coming from South Africa don't get STATUS updates till they land at the UK (as opposed to ones made in Europe). So it just "appears" that it's stuck at Status 30. My bad, think I got the wrong end of the stick talking to him last time.

It would appear that my car is on the RCC Europe and left South Africa on the 27th July.

Marinetraffic.com says that it's currently heading for Abidjan (updated 1st Aug). A fair way to go yet then! TBC

Anyone got a better ship tracking WEB site?
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

MikeDO wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:48 pm @AndyGTi ... the post you are referring to above, was actually made by me and is on PistonHeads. Just taking every opportunity for a good old moan, that's me.

Just spoken to me dealer again (last update was 2 weeks ago) and he says that by all accounts the cars coming from South Africa don't get STATUS updates till they land at the UK (as opposed to ones made in Europe). So it just "appears" that it's stuck at Status 30. My bad, think I got the wrong end of the stick talking to him last time.

It would appear that my car is on the RCC Europe and left South Africa on the 27th July.

Marinetraffic.com says that it's currently heading for Abidjan (updated 1st Aug). A fair way to go yet then! TBC

Anyone got a better ship tracking WEB site?
hi @MikeDO sorry, I was being lazy...when I said further to thread above I was meaning my own post, 9 posts above made on Jul 26, 2022 9:47 pm. Sorry

OH wow that is rubbish if its on RCC Europe . that is a few weeks away I am using www.vesselfinder.com , it seems to have a good (free) set of basic info.

I thought you were wk22 build date. I was down for wk24. I know you and @SRGTD had a good chat about equipment level and had the car been fully built in WK22 or "stored" until they could finish it off. So that is why I was thinking your car would also be on the ship which has mine (so I am told)
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

@AndyGTi

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to this bit in your previous post:

"Also, can't remember which forum I read it on, but one poster says his dealer (to paraphrase), he tells a customer the update on production says...its still saying its built, but then the next day he looks out window and the transporter has just arrived with that customer's car (and its jumped 4 stages). Hopefully that will re-assure you @MikeDO"

The above comment was made by me on PistonHeads (https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 9564&i=120)

Yes... I am slightly disappointed that it took till the 27th July to get on a ship. Especially as you rightly point out, my car was built week 22. But at least it does appear to be on a ship and moving (all be it slowly) towards the UK (via Germany).

TBC
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Ooops!!

Very sorry. Nothing worse than someone telling you a story that you already told them. Sorry to do that to you.

Yes, sorry that yours if only just on a ship, I suppose this is why its good not to look too closely into the shipping arrangements as it just makes you mad trying to understand if there is any logic to the movements.

So its back to that well worn phrase...Patience is a virtue
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

My dealer said that VW aren't particularly good at times in keeping them updated with car builds and delivery.
So mine was build week 24. Best case scenario it's already on a ship heading this way , worse case its not on a ship yet.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I can give you an example of how good VWs tracker is. When I got my gti in 2020, I was given the ship name by my dealer. At no point did the tracker change from being sat at port, even when the car got to the Uk. It finally changed and claimed it was delivered to dealership about a month after I picked it up and was driving it round.

It’s easier to track the ship yourself then give it a week once it’s gone to your dealers nearest port before ringing them to ask about collection (if they haven’t rung you first). They should have some idea by then.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:45 am I can give you an example of how good VWs tracker is. When I got my gti in 2020, I was given the ship name by my dealer. At no point did the tracker change from being sat at port, even when the car got to the Uk. It finally changed and claimed it was delivered to dealership about a month after I picked it up and was driving it round.

It’s easier to track the ship yourself then give it a week once it’s gone to your dealers nearest port before ringing them to ask about collection (if they haven’t rung you first). They should have some idea by then.
Same situation. Picked up the car, 4 weeks later the app changed to 'Arrived in the UK'. Technically true, I suppose. :roll: :lol:
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

The tracker used to be very reliable and often ahead of any dealer utterances. 2010 GTI and 2015 GTI deliveries were glitch free with the tracker.
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

My wife ordered her replacement Polo GTI in early November. Since ordering not once has the dealer contacted us with an update on progress. We ended up always calling them first. Even then information was scarce.
The last time we had any contact was over six weeks ago. So we've decided to cancel the order and get our deposit back. We are considering our next move, there's a ton of brand new unregistered Polo GTI's on the internet for sale with all sorts of configurations and colours. So a new GTI shouldn't be an issue, but we'll probably steer clear of ever having a VW again due to the complete lack of interest by their dealers.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

steeve wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:45 am My wife ordered her replacement Polo GTI in early November. Since ordering not once has the dealer contacted us with an update on progress. We ended up always calling them first. Even then information was scarce.
The last time we had any contact was over six weeks ago. So we've decided to cancel the order and get our deposit back. We are considering our next move, there's a ton of brand new unregistered Polo GTI's on the internet for sale with all sorts of configurations and colours. So a new GTI shouldn't be an issue, but we'll probably steer clear of ever having a VW again due to the complete lack of interest by their dealers.
IMHO, the frequency of communication from the dealership all depends on which salesperson you’re dealing with. I’ve had some really good experiences in the past and some not so good when dealing with different salespeople all at the same dealership. Sadly, your dealer won’t care that you’re cancelling as when your car arrives, they’ll be able to sell it at VW’s current list price, so they’ll earn more from the sale than they would if you’d continued to wait for the car.

Just be aware that any discount you may have negotiated on the car you’re cancelling is unlikely to be available on a new car - even one that’s in stock; discounts seem to be becoming a thing of the past, unless you buy through a broker and are happy to wait. Therefore the price you’ll pay for an in-stock car available for immediate delivery will very likely be the advertised price, and if that price is VW’s current list price, it’ll be higher than the November 2021 list price when you originally ordered as VW will have increased their prices since then.

However, sometimes individual circumstances will mean that it’ll be worth paying the higher price for immediate delivery rather than playing the waiting game 🙂. Please provide an update when you’ve located a replacement car in a colour and spec you’re happy with.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

So I’m possibly reboarding the gti train…. Went to Inchcape today as they said we could change my wife’s two year old United for a new r line for £3 a month. Turns out I’m in £2K positive equity with the Tiguan as the war in Russia has meant they’re not building any due to shortage of wiring.

Question now is do I save a little money a month on payment and get a polo gti or similar payment and get a golf r line…. The infotainment in the golf is much better now having played with it, very responsive but they still have the stupid unlit buttons.

Polo gti options are kings red, Smokey grey or reef blue all on two ships currently docked at emden.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:00 pm So I’m possibly reboarding the gti train…. Went to Inchcape today as they said we could change my wife’s two year old United for a new r line for £3 a month. Turns out I’m in £2K positive equity with the Tiguan as the war in Russia has meant they’re not building any due to shortage of wiring.

Question now is do I save a little money a month on payment and get a polo gti or similar payment and get a golf r line…. The infotainment in the golf is much better now having played with it, very responsive but they still have the stupid unlit buttons.

Polo gti options are kings red, Smokey grey or reef blue all on two ships currently docked at emden.
Given the choice of Polo GTI or Golf R-Line I’d go for the Polo GTI. Better performance from the Polo GTI and not a significantly smaller cabin compared to the Golf - main difference is the Polo GTI has a smaller boot.

I’ve never really liked the mk8 Golf’s styling, plus I don’t like the unlit heating and volume ‘sliders’ below the infotainment screen (harks back to cars of the 1970’s / 1980’s) and although the latest version of the Golf’s software has eradicated most of the gremlins, it’s still not perfect. I can’t recall reading on many - if any - software related gremlins in the Polo.
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

@steeve Sorry to hear you’ve now cancelled your order. I’m convinced that there has been a delivery to Emden this week and a few of our GTIs are amongst them.

@lancslad1985 ha ha so is that Inchcape doing a “VIP Event” up your way? The branch near me certainly are, which is annoying because I allows get invites when I don’t want to buy a new car. I think @SRGTD has already put the case forward but the GTI does seem like a good idea. But if it’s not going to work with family life or trips to Ikea maybe you will need to pass and keep/get a larger car.

So as far as I am concerned there is a load of Polos now waiting at Emden awaiting delivery to UK (having been dropped off on Thursday). I am studying ship movements to Sheerness. ( but if I see anything to Grimsby or Tyne) I’ll let you all know.
KayakerPaul
Getting There!
Drives: R line - if it arrives

Post by KayakerPaul »

AndyGTi wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:14 pm @steeve Sorry to hear you’ve now cancelled your order. I’m convinced that there has been a delivery to Emden this week and a few of our GTIs are amongst them.

@lancslad1985 ha ha so is that Inchcape doing a “VIP Event” up your way? The branch near me certainly are, which is annoying because I allows get invites when I don’t want to buy a new car. I think @SRGTD has already put the case forward but the GTI does seem like a good idea. But if it’s not going to work with family life or trips to Ikea maybe you will need to pass and keep/get a larger car.

So as far as I am concerned there is a load of Polos now waiting at Emden awaiting delivery to UK (having been dropped off on Thursday). I am studying ship movements to Sheerness. ( but if I see anything to Grimsby or Tyne) I’ll let you all know.
The Danube Highway looks quite promising :idea:
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

AndyGTi wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:14 pm @steeve Sorry to hear you’ve now cancelled your order. I’m convinced that there has been a delivery to Emden this week and a few of our GTIs are amongst them.

Hi Andy. It is indeed. My wife was invited but I wasn’t, turns out I’m in £2K positive equity though so chance to change is here…. Going to sleep ok it as one of the colours is available within two weeks.

Just to add my salesman said there were two ships waiting for port this morning at Emden to bring cars to the UK. The EMS highway is docked now and due to Grimsby with the Neckar highway already there, so maybe some peoples cars are on that.
Last edited by lancslad1985 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.