Sump plug washer size please

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Gertlush
New
Drives: 2014 1.2 SE Bluemotion

Sump plug washer size please

Post by Gertlush »

Can someone please tell me the Sump plug washer size for my 2014 TSI 1.2 89 hp petrol.
A link where to buy would be appreciated
Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Sump plug washer size please

Post by RUM4MO »

These metal seals are rolled steel having a 14mm inner diameter and a 20mm outer diameter.

The genuine VW Group part is Washer N 0138157 (14 X 20) Torque 30Nm
Gertlush
New

Post by Gertlush »

RUM4MO wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:42 pm These metal seals are rolled steel having a 14mm inner diameter and a 20mm outer diameter.

The genuine VW Group part is Washer N 0138157 (14 X 20) Torque 30Nm
Many thanks Rum
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

Gertlush,

If, from hereon in, you're going to be regularly needing a washer of that type and size in order to do engine-oil changes, it might be worth your while iooking on the Febi Bilstein website at what they offer in sump plugs and associated washers. I myself use the Febi version of the requisite sump plug and washer on my 2017 1.2 TSI, and I think you'll find that they're exactly the same as the OEM ones used and sold by VW themselves. The point I'm making is that the Febi product is a combined sump plug-and-washer; the washer is captive; there's no fear of ever losing it. When I first found that Febi did them and also realised Febi sold them on Amazon, I bought a whole batch via Amazon, as Febi's price made it easily worthwhile to do so. Each one came in a Febi sealed bag.

The Febi product no. for the combined plug-and-washer for my Polo is 15374, but I'd urge you, if you do go to the Febi website, to check whether that's exactly the same for your particular year and engine, as minor differences model-to-model can exist. At the last viewing, Febi gave an application list on their site, which is Polo model/year dependent. Even though your and my Polos are both 6Cs (or so it would seem), there can be differences in engine capacity and engine design, even to the point of, say, differences in length of the sump plug. So do check very carefully. On their website, Febi might well even have an engineering drawing of the plug-and-washer, where you could read off the ID and OD of the washer and see if it corresponds to the 14x20 OEM one that RUM4MO has mentioned.

I suspect you'll be able to buy a completely new Febi combined plug-and-washer for much the same price as VW will charge you for just the washer alone.
Gertlush
New

Post by Gertlush »

veteran wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:45 pm Gertlush,

If, from hereon in, you're going to be regularly needing a washer of that type and size in order to do engine-oil changes, it might be worth your while iooking on the Febi Bilstein website at what they offer in sump plugs and associated washers. I myself use the Febi version of the requisite sump plug and washer on my 2017 1.2 TSI, and I think you'll find that they're exactly the same as the OEM ones used and sold by VW themselves. The point I'm making is that the Febi product is a combined sump plug-and-washer; the washer is captive; there's no fear of ever losing it. When I first found that Febi did them and also realised Febi sold them on Amazon, I bought a whole batch via Amazon, as Febi's price made it easily worthwhile to do so. Each one came in a Febi sealed bag.

The Febi product no. for the combined plug-and-washer for my Polo is 15374, but I'd urge you, if you do go to the Febi website, to check whether that's exactly the same for your particular year and engine, as minor differences model-to-model can exist. At the last viewing, Febi gave an application list on their site, which is Polo model/year dependent. Even though your and my Polos are both 6Cs (or so it would seem), there can be differences in engine capacity and engine design, even to the point of, say, differences in length of the sump plug. So do check very carefully. On their website, Febi might well even have an engineering drawing of the plug-and-washer, where you could read off the ID and OD of the washer and see if it corresponds to the 14x20 OEM one that RUM4MO has mentioned.

I suspect you'll be able to buy a completely new Febi combined plug-and-washer for much the same price as VW will charge you for just the washer alone.
Many thanks for that, appreciate it, will definitely look as you suggested
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

honestly you can re use the same washer multiple times and it wont leak.
its done everywhere. If your going to buy them, buy in bulk they are cheap.
veteran
Silver Member

Post by veteran »

amer6R,

"honestly you can re use the same washer multiple times and it wont leak. its done everywhere".

Yeh, you can often get away with that approach, and I have to admit that in my pre-Polo years I used to re-use the sump's copper washer on the Mk3 Golf I had a few times. That Golf used separare plug and washer. But after the second year of usage of the same washer the latter was noticeably distorted. (Copper is a soft metal, after all, and indeed had been used by car manufacturers in this context specifically because, under torqueing down, it would easily crush and spread). That's to say, I found the same, re-used washer became more and more difficult to align the next time around for a leak-free fit when tightening the plug. So I looked on the Web for a general stock of copper washers of just the right size. You can sometimes spend a long time on an exercise like that, but what I had to settle for in the end was a size slightly different to the original. Fortunately, it did the job.

When I bought my Polo though, I found that the sump plug was a combined plug-and-washer affair. Furthermore, the washer was steel, not copper. I guess that was to avoid any galvanic reaction between it and the casing of the sump. (For that reason, it's not good practise to have copper directly in contact with aluminium or steel, over a long period). It would have been, at the very least, churlish to have then sought to buy a batch of steel washers from somewhere. It would have been rather pointless anyway, because the Polo's plug had/has a permanently captured washer. So, with the Polo, I accepted that each time I renewed the oil I'd either have to fit a new, combined plug-and-washer, or I'd have to re-use the original combined plug. It was at that point that I discovered Febi sold them, and at an agreeable price. So, it became a no-brainer to get some.

'Each to his own'.

Edit: Febi's website is tricky to manage, I seem to recall. You virtually have to sell your soul to them to access details on their website. However, if your Polo normally uses a combined plug-and-washer (and I'm fairly sure it does) and is VW part no. N908 132 01/2 (that's the combined part), then if you look elsewhere around on the Web you'll find several different sources of this combined part, with prices sometimes even lower than Amazon's. If you look here, for instance:

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/febi-bils ... gKAaPD_BwE

they're pretty cheap, and you'll see the Febi no.15374. To buy off Amazon, you'll need to go here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/febi-bilstein- ... 2861&psc=1

that's "Febi Bilstein 15374 oil drain plug with seal ring". £2.45 free delivery. What's not to like?

I might myself buy some more, because I think I'm almost out of the original batch I bought.
Gertlush
New

Post by Gertlush »

veteran wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:25 pm amer6R,

"honestly you can re use the same washer multiple times and it wont leak. its done everywhere".

Yeh, you can often get away with that approach, and I have to admit that in my pre-Polo years I used to re-use the sump's copper washer on the Mk3 Golf I had a few times. That Golf used separare plug and washer. But after the second year of usage of the same washer the latter was noticeably distorted. (Copper is a soft metal, after all, and indeed had been used by car manufacturers in this context specifically because, under torqueing down, it would easily crush and spread). That's to say, I found the same, re-used washer became more and more difficult to align the next time around for a leak-free fit when tightening the plug. So I looked on the Web for a general stock of copper washers of just the right size. You can sometimes spend a long time on an exercise like that, but what I had to settle for in the end was a size slightly different to the original. Fortunately, it did the job.

When I bought my Polo though, I found that the sump plug was a combined plug-and-washer affair. Furthermore, the washer was steel, not copper. I guess that was to avoid any galvanic reaction between it and the casing of the sump. (For that reason, it's not good practise to have copper directly in contact with aluminium or steel, over a long period). It would have been, at the very least, churlish to have then sought to buy a batch of steel washers from somewhere. It would have been rather pointless anyway, because the Polo's plug had/has a permanently captured washer. So, with the Polo, I accepted that each time I renewed the oil I'd either have to fit a new, combined plug-and-washer, or I'd have to re-use the original combined plug. It was at that point that I discovered Febi sold them, and at an agreeable price. So, it became a no-brainer to get some.

'Each to his own'.

Edit: Febi's website is tricky to manage, I seem to recall. You virtually have to sell your soul to them to access details on their website. However, if your Polo normally uses a combined plug-and-washer (and I'm fairly sure it does) and is VW part no. N908 132 01/2 (that's the combined part), then if you look elsewhere around on the Web you'll find several different sources of this combined part, with prices sometimes even lower than Amazon's. If you look here, for instance:

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/febi-bils ... gKAaPD_BwE

they're pretty cheap, and you'll see the Febi no.15374. To buy off Amazon, you'll need to go here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/febi-bilstein- ... 2861&psc=1

that's "Febi Bilstein 15374 oil drain plug with seal ring". £2.45 free delivery. What's not to like?

I might myself buy some more, because I think I'm almost out of the original batch I bought.
Thanks for that detailed post 👍🏻
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

I totally agree that is better to replace and follow factory specification. Don't get me wrong, washer are cheap.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

veteran, I don't think that I appreciated that your 1.2TSI 16V 90PS had that sort of sump plug arrangement, that is a version of sump plug that VW Group used for years and years, then I thought, then moved on, with all newer engines, to use a hex headed plug and a free rolled steel crush washer - maybe to become a bit less wasteful as the plug them gets re-used.

My old 2011 Audi S4 uses that washer as does my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 16V 110PS - and now it seems plastic drain plugs are the way forward, use once and dump into landfill, lovely!

It has been said by others that the very reason that VW Group "mandate" the replacement of the version that you have was due to grease monkeys dropping the sump plug into the oil catching system, so they could save the customer a bit of time if they always replaced that plug and so didn't waste any time trying to retrieve it from the oil catcher.

The slight irony for me is, VW Group charge less for the older style plug-with-washer than they do for the rolled steel crush washer!
veteran
Silver Member

Post by veteran »

RUM4MO,

So let me get this straight. Are you saying that your wife's 2015 Polo has a separate plug and washer? If so, I'm highly surprised. I thought the changeover to combined plug-and-washer occurred much earlier than that. As for plastic sump plugs, that's surely madness, given current environmental considerations?!

Given that my Polo's a couple of years further on from yours, I think the use of a combined steel plug is probably just a case of one of those many incremental changes in 'consumable' parts that VW has a tendency to make. In earlier years from mine, if the VW operative were to drop the plug and separate washer into the oil catcher, then probably both the bits would have needed manually fishing out, which would certainly have been time-consuming, messy and even dangerous (considering the likely temperature of the oil). So, as you've speculated, after a few years VW most probably decided to ignore the used plug and separate washer when they were removed during servicing and just fitted a brand new Febi combined plug-and-washer instead. Seems to all make sense.

With what you're saying, I guess it doesn't follow then that Gertlush's plug is necessarily of the combined type. I now realise that that's probably why he started this thread asking specifically about the washer.

You 'live-and-learn' about these things, don't you?
Gertlush
New

Post by Gertlush »

I didn’t realise when I asked the original question that this would reveal so much information about something seemingly as trivial as a sump plug washer.
That said, I am grateful for all the responses, and have now ordered from Amazon the
"Febi Bilstein 15374, so hopefully this will be ok.
Once again thanks for the input.
John
veteran
Silver Member

Post by veteran »

Gertlush,

I find that servicing and doing repairs when necessary to my Polo is an exercise in constant learning. I never assume that things are set in stone, especially with VAG Group cars, as the Group is always chopping-and-changing and updating parts. Often, they'll fit parts at the factory that just happen to be more readily available at the time. This can mean that one year they'll fit a certain new design of a part, but then the next year they'll revert to the former design. Or sometimes the design didn't work out as well as they expected. And, speaking for myself, there's always something to be learnt from others, even concerning the simplest of car components.

Incidentally, I always buy the new oil filters for my Polo from my local VW dealer; unlike the vehicle's air filter, I don't like taking the risk of buying that particular part online and possibly being sent an old or completely wrong version. I take along to the dealer the VIN no. of my Polo, though sometimes they just ask for the vehicle's reg. no. I buy three oil filters at a time, so that I don't have to keep going along to the dealer every year. There have been minor changes in that oil filter too, over the years. If yours is a one-piece canister type like mine and RUM4MO's, it'll be VW part no. 04E 115 561 H. Always double-check that when you remove the old one you don't leave any remnants of the rubber seal on the engine's flange. The VW one is made by Mahle, I think, though VW occasionally second-sources from other manufacturers. Anyway, good luck with it all!
Gertlush
New

Post by Gertlush »

Veteran,,,, I’m nearly 70 and am always learning from different sources, mainly forums such as this.
I must admit that in my early days of car ownership it was much simpler doing your own maintenance, ie plugs and points, whereas now, apart from replacing brake pads and oil changes there’s not much I do on the modern cars (also own a Seat Arona) so it’s main dealer if there’s any problems.
Thanks for replying and happy motoring 😉
John
veteran
Silver Member

Post by veteran »

Certainly there are one or two other periodic maintenance jobs you can do on the Polo if you are so inclined - renewing the brake/clutch fluid (every 3 or 4 years), battery maintenance and replacement, and a few other things. There'll always be someone on these forums who'll be able to give you some leading advice on those.