Fuel tank capacity/content and fuel gauge reading

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Fuel tank capacity/content and fuel gauge reading

Post by littlepolo »

I have a 2002 9N 1.4. According to the owner's manual (technical data) the fuel tank capacity is 45l of which 7l are reserve. Presumably the warning lamp indicates running on reserve? Does anyone have an idea what 1/4 tank on the gauge equates to in litres?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Fuel tank capacity/content and fuel gauge reading

Post by RUM4MO »

I've always been aware that VW Group car fuel gauges are just indicators to keep you aware of your fuel "situation" so any attempt to apply an actual gallon/litre calibration to any position on the gauge will not be useful, it is just how it is it, and it works for most people.

For instance, while the fuel gauges are analogue in the way they operate, they are being fed with digital information exactly the same as the temperature gauge operates, which is fair enough as the tank is not perfectly rectangular so maybe tricky to "give" accurate readings across the full to empty span of fuel volumes.

I've also found that the first "half" of the tank takes a long time to run down, and the second "half" runs down a lot quicker, in reality I have an good idea of how many miles I'll expect from a full tank and use that figure backed up by the gauge position - all our VW Group cars have had fuel computers so that helps I suppose, but I'd never plan to use much of the reserve capacity of the tank.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Fuel tank capacity/content and fuel gauge reading

Post by littlepolo »

Agree. The first "half" runs down more slowly. I filled up yesterday at just below one quarter on the gauge (no reserve lamp on) and the pump metered forty-seven point six three litres. I've never put that much in it even on the very rare occasions it ran for a short time after the reserve lamp illuminated.