ceramic brake pads

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Shabazmo
New

ceramic brake pads

Post by Shabazmo »

I would like to use ceramic brake pads on my VW polo 1.4 petrol in order to reduce brake dust. I have searched ECB pads but they don't do their redstuff pads for the Polo.

Does anyone know of any other brand that does ceramic pads.
thank you.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Re: ceramic brake pads

Post by Bepis »

Put a set of ATE discs and ceramic pads on the front of my 1.4, they reduce the dust quite a bit, and the dust they do leave is a very similar colour to the alloys but the dust makes the alloys appear satin rather than glossy.

One thing to consider however is that I felt I needed more pedal pressure to achieve the same braking force as the normal pads fitted prior.

As for manufacturers the ones that come to mind are EBC, ATE and TRW but as you mentioned EBC doesn't make the redstuff pad for the polo it seems.

I've just fitted a set of TRW DTEC pads to the rear of my current GTi along with some Textar Pro discs and so far they seem to have more bite than a full ceramic pad and also still bite well when they're cold. I can't compare them to the normal brake pads fitted prior as they were an awful generic pad fitted by a dealership. TRW seem to market the DTEC as a "blended" compound and it seems to act that way but I've only put a couple of hundred miles on them as of now. They also have a red shim that goes nicely with the red calipers.

I got both my ATE and TRW pads from Autodoc, shipping takes a couple of days and paying with Paypal was hit or miss for me so their support suggested I use a card directly. I just used a credit card in case anything went wrong but I've had no issues with them.

Hope that helps :)

Just a heads up when you're changing the front pads, check that the threads on the caliper slide pins haven't stripped when you cracked them loose.
Shabazmo
New

Post by Shabazmo »

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. I will look at both ATE a d TRW websites.
Shabazmo
New

Post by Shabazmo »

Having looked at the ATE website and Autodoc, there are several different brake pads listed and I need the PR code for the brakes to find the correct one. The sticker in the service book does not quote a brake PR code. Does anyone know how I can find this out.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

With yours being a 1.4 I would guess that it'll have the 256mm front discs and the corresponding pads.

Some forum members have had success calling their local dealership and speaking to the parts department and asking for the list of PR codes pertaining to their car to be emailed to them. Give that a go as it'll probably be free. If they aren't willing to provide the whole list just ask for the front brakes PR code.

If they still aren't willing either ring another or create a VW ErWin account and pay €7~ for an hours access where you'll find the "vehicle specific information" as well as a lot more. Definitely worth having a poke around after you've got the list, just translate the pages from German to English. If the translations break refresh the browser.

Just remember that you can't right-click save you have to "print" the page (either right-click > print or CTRL+P) but if you just select print to PDF it'll be saved as a PDF to your computer.

While I'm at it. If you need to look for any parts or part numbers use this site:
https://ifinterface.com/page/page3.php?langid=2

Click CarProg2, close any pop-ups or notifications then find your vehicle in the menus.

Hope that helps :)
Shabazmo
New

Post by Shabazmo »

Yes, It is the 256mm discs and the EBC part no is D817. Now here is the interesting bit. EBC do a greenstuff pad for the Polo and the part number is DP21329. Although they don't specify a redstuff ceramic pad for the Polo, they do make a DP31329C and this is the exact same pad as dp21329, but in ceramic. So I have ordered the dp31329 redstuff and will fit the pads and new discs next month.