mpg/fuelling

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

mpg/fuelling

Post by littlepolo »

I filled the tank with E10 close to the brim and found that after approx 185 miles the needle was down to just a fraction under 1/4 tank. Local driving, with mild weather. The consumption has been down like this before, but only in really cold weather and when the engine was not running at its best.

Filled the tank with E5 (Momentum) and after 258 mls (again, local driving) the fuel gauge was around half a tank (I don't think it has ever been as good as this even in summer). I calculated 44.38mpg. The gauge certainly seemed to be going down slowly...

Filled again around half a tank with Sainsbury's E5 (never used it before) and getting down to near half a tank and heading for 220 miles, which would equate to 37.9 mpg.

On the old regular fuel I usually got around 32 mpg with local driving and I think the best I've had on a run is 42 mpg. I've used super grades before, like BP Ultimate and Shell V-Power and never got this mpg. My 9n is a 1.4 auto.

Firstly, I'm wondering how this is even possible, and if something is going on with short-term fuelling after the E10 fill, which seemed to increase thirst.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: mpg/fuelling

Post by littlepolo »

Latest tankful returned 37.3 on Sainsbury's best. All local stop-start driving. Is anyone getting mpg close to this with a 1.4 auto?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

44mpg on a run. Mixed tank 50/50 regular/super. Not bad.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

When I had my 9n which was pre E10 fuel with the AZQ 1.2 I'd regularly get 45+mpg running on Vpower but would occasionally plummet due to a dodgy lambda sensor.

Again with my 9n3 with the 1.4 BUD pre E10 I almost ran it exclusively on V power as it was only 10p extra a liter at the time and the best I ever got was 48 and averaged 40mpg over 13.5k miles.

But now with the sky-high fuel prices but regular unleaded being E10, you'd have to do the maths to work out if the extra MPG outweighed the premium of premium fuel. However, if you have one nearby some ESSO garages have ethanol-free Synergy 99. I'll try and include the list that their customer support sent over.

Now having a 6c GTi with the 1.8 DAJA I still managed to average 40mpg on V Power but over the last few months, the MPG has consistently dropped to around 37. After running Esso's ethanol-free synergy 99 for about 1k miles the MPG has gone back up to an average of 40mpg and whenever I used V power it again dropped.

So put on your tinfoil hat but I suspect that V power in my area may have also had no ethanol. But after E10 was introduced (around the time my MPG started to drop) they may have started putting in the 5% ethanol mix they're allowed to by law. Or it could just be a turbo-charged engine enjoying the cold denser air that comes with the autumn and winter months and the engine oil not getting as hot (90C vs 105C) who knows.

List of Esso garages with ethanol-free Synergy 99. Formating is Postcode, Street address, City. There doesn't seem to be any north of Stoke so fairly limited coverage. This may change so email their customer support for the most up-to-date list.
https://pastebin.com/d8k9zhNg
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Was the 1.2 a manual or auto? Mine is the 1.4 auto (BBY) slug.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

1.2 was a 5-speed manual
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

That's pretty good. I'm happy with high 30's from local driving and 44mpg on a run from my 1.4 auto.