Mud flaps

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
GTI
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2019

Mud flaps

Post by GTI »

Hello

Does anyone know if there any any mud flaps available for 2019 Polo GTI?
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: Mud flaps

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Will the regular Polo mudflaps not work? Off the UK VW website Acceossories Catalge:
Part Number: 2G0075101
71.50 including fitting (Pounds)
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

My Polo is not a GTi, but I installed these universal mud flaps that some people will say they don't look nice, but they much cheaper than the VW original mud flaps and functions the same.
244200065_10226477018218908_3181984865027315123_n.jpg
244200065_10226477018218908_3181984865027315123_n.jpg (128.8 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
244182389_10226477018538916_6549929911435616917_n.jpg
244182389_10226477018538916_6549929911435616917_n.jpg (263.64 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
244129546_10226477018658919_6726054953227347076_n.jpg
244129546_10226477018658919_6726054953227347076_n.jpg (280.03 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

VW OEM mud flaps don’t fit the pre-face lift GTI or the R-Line models because those models have extended sills and similar black plastic trim pieces on the lower side sections of the rear bumper which means the profile of the mounting surface of the OEM mud flaps don’t fit the mounting surface on the car. Don’t know about the new face lift GTI or R-Line but I dare say the same applies.

It might be possible to modify the OEM mud flaps by cutting out a section to fit around sill extension and rear bumper trim piece but that just seems like a lot of hassle and there’s a risk they still wouldn’t fit or look particularly good if the cutting modification isn’t very precise.

I used to have mud flaps fitted to all my previous cars before I bought the previous generation Polo GTI in 2016. There wasn’t a set of VW OEM mud flaps for that car either for the same reasons (sill extensions and different rear bumper compared to other models in the Polo range). I didn’t bother trying to find an aftermarket set, nor did I bother with my current GTI+. In all honesty, neither my previous and current cars seem to get any dirtier than the cars I’d owned with mud flaps, nor do they suffer from stone chips along the sides of the car or the areas directly behind the wheels. Pretty much all of my driving is on fairly ‘clean’ A and B roads; if lived in a very rural area with narrow roads covered in mud for much of the year, then I concede that mud flaps might provide some benefit, otherwise I wouldn’t bother. Whether or not mud flaps are fitted, the rear of the car will still get dirty; the near-vertical shape of the rear end means that airflow over the car when it’s moving forward creates a vacuum behind the car which ‘sucks’ dirt onto the rear facing surfaces.
GTI
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2019

Post by GTI »

Hmmm I was looking for some aftermarket mud flaps which I can automatically fit to my 2019 Polo GTI without cutting or modifying them so that they fit correctly.

I mainly wanted to fit Mud flaps to avoid stone chips and reduce the amount of mud/dirt on the paintwork to avoid scratches.
I drive on a variety of roads ranging from motorways to country lanes

I had a look on VW website and the mud flaps available on there don’t fit the GTI, therefore I’m wondering if there are any after market ones?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

GTI wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:32 pm Hmmm I was looking for some aftermarket mud flaps which I can automatically fit to my 2019 Polo GTI without cutting or modifying them so that they fit correctly.

I mainly wanted to fit Mud flaps to avoid stone chips and reduce the amount of mud/dirt on the paintwork to avoid scratches.
I drive on a variety of roads ranging from motorways to country lanes

I had a look on VW website and the mud flaps available on there don’t fit the GTI, therefore I’m wondering if there are any after market ones?
Stone chips from not having mud flaps shouldn’t really be a big issue on the GTI - the lower half of the sills on all Polos have a flexible anti-stone chip coating applied along the lower sections before the car is painted in the factory, so vulnerable areas are pretty well protected from stone chip damage resulting from stones / other road debris that might be flicked up by the front wheels. Similarly, at the rear of the car the lower, under section of the GTI’s rear bumper are where stones might be flicked up by the rear wheels is protected by the outer sections of the black plastic diffuser, so the painted parts of the bumper aren’t really at high risk from being blasted with stones and other road debris.

I’m not aware of any aftermarket mud flaps that are made specifically for the Polo GTI - it’s probably not cost effective for anyone to produce these as the sales volumes would be low. You could get a set of cheap universal mud flaps, but they might not fit particularly well, and the fastenings supplied with these universal mud flaps might mean there’s a risk of them becoming detached.

A safe wash method should minimise the risk of scratches when removing dirt from the paintwork;
  • pre-wash soak or snow foam to loosen any dirt, then rinse
  • two or three bucket method wash with lambs wool mitt and ph neutral shampoo - IMHO a single bucket, sponge and wash leather method of cleaning is a no-no if you want to avoid scratches and swirls
  • rinse and dry with absorbent car drying towels and / or warm air blower
Lots of information over on Detailing World forum on safe wash methods - in particular the discussion thread at the link below;

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4637

I’d also avoid the many hand wash car washing places - they use quite harsh (non ph neutral) products to remove dirt to speed up the washing process which is likely to remove any wax / sealant on your paintwork (time’s money for them as more cars washed = more ££££’s). Additionally, those cleaning products might also be unsuitable for use on diamond cut alloys and could degrade the protective lacquer coating. Also, if you car’s at the VW dealer for servicing / repair work, never let them carry out the free complementary wash, unless you’re happy for them to apply a scratch n swirl treatment to your paintwork with their dirty sponge and bucket of grit laden dirty water! 😧.
Sbal
New
Drives: '23 GTI

Post by Sbal »

GTI wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:11 pm Hello

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did you find GTI mud flaps?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Sbal wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:44 am
GTI wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:11 pm Hello

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did you find GTI mud flaps?
Presumably you’re asking as you’re considering fitting a set?

VW don’t make / sell mud flaps to fit the GTI (or R Line). They are available for other models of Polo, but as the GTI and R Line models have the extended sill strip along the side of the car, and the rear bumper is different to non-GTI / non-R Line models, the standard VW Polo mud flaps won’t fit.

I used to be a firm believer in having mud flaps on previous cars until I bought my previous VW and VW didn’t make / sell them for that car. From my personal experience, I’ve found that my last two cars without mud flaps don’t get any dirtier than previous cars with them fitted. The sides of the car and sills don’t get peppered with stone chips either. The rear end will get dirty whether mud flaps are fitted or not; with the ‘two box’ shape of hatchback cars, aerodynamics / airflow over the car create a low pressure area immediately behind the car as it moves forward, and that low pressure area sucks dirt onto the tailgate and rear screen - mud flaps won’t stop that.

Unless you drive regularly on dirty mud-covered dirty country lanes when mud flaps would help reduce mud splatter, I’d say don’t bother with them. That’s just my opinion though, and there may be mud flap believers on the forum who disagree with me 🙂.

Edit; just realised I posted pretty much the same comments in an earlier post in this thread. I’ve written the post now, so I’ll post it rather than delete it! 🤣.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

As SRGTD comments... they don't make a HUGE difference. But on my last few cars I've fitted the Rally style (IE. quite long) ones and they do make a noticeable difference. Not sure if these type would suit the Polo GTI though (being a bit more restrained styling wise.. the car that is). They looked fine on my previous few cars though (RS Clio, Focus ST x2 and I30N). Though saying that, if someone like Rally Armor made them for the Polo GTI, I would still probably buy and fit them. Mind you, I do live in a VERY rural area and the roads this time of year are pretty disgusting. One of the few downsides of living in the middle of nowhere :)
Sbal
New

Post by Sbal »

Thanks for the tips. We have a daily school run round trip of 80 miles on some filthy country roads so I thought they would help. But, as I can't seem to find any, not much I can do! 😁
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

I'm not holding my breath. But I've Email'd Rally Flapz to see if they have any intention of producing any for the Mk6 Polo GTI, as they certainly do them for the Mk5.

I'll post back if I get a reply.
Sbal
New

Post by Sbal »

Thanks, Mike 🙂👍