Electrical issues

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
MrKat
New
Drives: MK6 9N 2003

Electrical issues

Post by MrKat »

Hey,

I recently got myself a 2003 polo with 55k on the clock which I thought was incredible, and it does live up to its name in that regard mostly. There are few nitpicking things I'd want to adress so here they are. Most these issues are I believe to be electrical issues as:
Punching in the reverse gear causes the air recirculator to turn on everytime, however the lamp does not always turn on and so will turn off when coming out of reverse
Sometimes the reverse gear even being disengaged will leave the recirculator running, resulting in me having to press the button to turn it off, sometimes twice
The cold setting on the air con does not always result in cold air being blown straight away, sometimes needing me to set to full blast to make the air cool down and then I can reduce the speed, but sometimes it will go hot again

I think originally the seller had possibly had problems with water damage? I would want to get these issues resolved, possibly myself as I dont mind tinkering and saving some money, but at the same time without taking it apart I won't have any idea as to what is wrong.

Any help appriciated, thanks!
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Re: Electrical issues

Post by CarbonChaos »

Firstly welcome to the forum 👍
I will try to answer some of your points
1 . When engaging reverse gear with the interior fan going (any speed/temp) this will cause the recirc flap to activate always,this is normal operation and not a fault.mine NEVER illuminates the recirc light below the heater buttons when doing this ,you can just hear the difference in sound which I believe to be correct operation.
2 . When disengaging reverse it takes no more than 5 seconds for the recirc flap to start moving back to its open position, again this is normal operation.
3 . Going to full cold A/C can take some time for the blown air temp to reach its coldest, you could also bear in mind the A/C may not be working to its full potential ? Have you any recent service history for the A/C ? Air conditioning needs to be serviced every few years to optimise its performance.
MrKat
New
Drives: MK6 9N 2003

Post by MrKat »

CarbonChaos wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:09 pm Firstly welcome to the forum 👍
I will try to answer some of your points
1 . When engaging reverse gear with the interior fan going (any speed/temp) this will cause the recirc flap to activate always,this is normal operation and not a fault.mine NEVER illuminates the recirc light below the heater buttons when doing this ,you can just hear the difference in sound which I believe to be correct operation.
2 . When disengaging reverse it takes no more than 5 seconds for the recirc flap to start moving back to its open position, again this is normal operation.
3 . Going to full cold A/C can take some time for the blown air temp to reach its coldest, you could also bear in mind the A/C may not be working to its full potential ? Have you any recent service history for the A/C ? Air conditioning needs to be serviced every few years to optimise its performance.
Thanks for the reply. In my mind the recirc engaging with reverse seems like an electrical issue and makes no sense it engages itself on reverse.
With regard to point 2, sometimes the recirc will engage as if clicked by me and will remain in operation, requiring me to click it off if I want it off.
I guess the ac would be in need of a good service to operate, because its coldest setting is warmer than outside temp.

Also a bonus question, to fix a leaking reverse window spray tube at the pump do I access it from below or in the engine bay? I identified a leak near the pump when I use rear wash.

Also, I measured my screen wipers, they are 17 and 21 inch. But I found if I used 24 inch wipers they would perfectly cover the entire windshield, so I'm wondering if there are 24 inch options available for the car or do I live with stupid wet areas on my windscreen.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

The washer bottle is behind the front bumper, you could possibly access this from the underside or remove the bumper it depends on where you think the leak is and how you want to fix it.
As for the wiper blades the longer one goes on the drivers side but after a quick google their seems to be a variation in sizes from 24 + 16 or 21 + 19 ? Mine has 21 and 19 I believe if you use both 24 they will hit each other when operating.