Ignition key stuck in the barrel

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

Ignition key stuck in the barrel

Post by littlepolo »

Can't remove the key, otherwise it operates OK. Any suggestions?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Ignition key stuck in the barrel

Post by RUM4MO »

Probably too late, but, if it is the ignition barrel the key is in, you will need to rotate it t exactly the correct orientation so that you can stuff a drill/allen key in through the hole in the switch body so that you can depress the barrel retaining pin and so get the barrel + key out - then work on it with oil/wd-40 until the key can be removed.

If it is the door lock barrel, only unscrew the retaining screw far enough so that the barrel can be removed from the door - don't go beyond this point or the retaining screw will vanish down into the door frame somewhere low down!
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Thanks for your reply. It is the ignition barrel. Is the hole in the switch body visible from the steering wheel assy cowl or do I need some disassembly first?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Had a look at this today due to fine weather. Using a large paperclip I was able to spring the ignition lock barrel out of the ignition/steering lock assy and remove the key. The key turns freely in the barrel. When I put the barrel back, the key got stuck again so decided to strip down the assy and have a look. With the steering wheel and cowls off, I confirmed again that the key moves freely in the barrel. Then I was able to rotate the cylinder in the main lock body and I heard the steering lock click in. Put the barrel back in and tried - a bit sticky. Put the steering wheel back on without bolting it up and moved the steering a bit. Key turns OK. I cannot 'see' anything broken and everything seems to be working OK. Do I put it back together (perhaps with some lube) and see how she goes? I'm guessing some wear in there somewhere (though only 120k miles on the clock) and a new ignition/steering lock assy might improve it, but maybe not 100% necessary at this time.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

A tricky question to answer, I had a similar issue with my old 1991 VX Cav GSI 2000 16V 4WD, I found that it was worse in hot weather, first year that happened, when we were away in France on holiday, I made sure that I always covered the steering wheel, and so lock area, with a towel - that worked okay, so when that summer passed I ignored it.
Next year in late June, knowing that we were taking that car abroad again - and it gets hotter there than central Scotland, I panicked and bought a new ignition lock or barrel, but because time before we went away on holiday was tight, I had to settle for a random lock, so from them onwards needed 2 keys to operate the car - if only I had ordered in a new ignition lock or barrel!!

So, I can only suggest that you do now what I should have done to spare your self more inconvenience.

I or my older daughter had similar issue with my wife's old Fiesta, suddenly the key would not turn in the ignition, I walked down to where the car was parked and used "the RED key" which was a third key that Ford supplied with their cars at that time, and that worked perfectly. So, the next day I ordered up a new key and my wife used my key - I had chosen to use the RED key as it had never been used other than to check that it worked with that car's locks when we first bought it. After the new key arrived it was put into use and that worn key was broken in two and binned, but the Tebbe locks that Ford used while being genuinely secure, could easily get damaged even by someone sticking a wrong key into them and trying to unlock a random car.

I'm not sure if VAG keys are known to, with time, wear to the extent that they jam in the lock barrels, have you tried using the second key for that car?
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I took the easy way out and reassembled the lock today, after firstly putting super lube in every orifice. The key seems to release OK and I noticed that on occasion a small movement of the steering wheel against/away from the lock is required to be able to turn the key. I can put up with this for now. I'm already using the 'spare' key after having a problem opening the driver's door lock with the original (I still have the replacement lock that I have not yet fitted!). I did have a look for a replacement steering lock assy but could not get a definitive answer on fit and didn't want to wait. Interestingly, the ones on Amazon offer subscribe and save! I might regret this but with the auto shift level working and the ignition key working for now...
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

I believe your key stuck in the ignition and the auto shifter not going into P to be linked,most modern cars will not allow the key to be removed until the vehicle is in park.

You failed to mention the vehicle was an automatic in your original post, this may have got you a faster solution.
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

I posted my issue with auto gear selector in another post. No connection. Intermittent problem with park position. Key stuck in park position when able to select it. Physical problem with chrome(plastic) detent button.