2011 polo head unit upgrade

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
W111 DNT
New
Drives: 6r 1.6 TDI (90)

2011 polo head unit upgrade

Post by W111 DNT »

Hi,

I have a 2011 polo 6r with the standard head unit (RCD310), I'm looking to upgrade to the head unit with the satnav and Bluetooth am I best off going for the RCD330, RCD510 or RNS510? and how would I go about installing it? Would I be best getting someone else to fit it for me and if so where? I will need the Bluetooth module as well as my car does not have it.

Cheers
uncledunnie
New
Drives: 2012 Polo 1.4 SEL DSG

Re: 2011 polo head unit upgrade

Post by uncledunnie »

Hi,

I fitted an RCD330 in my 2012 6R just under a year ago and have had no problems whatsoever with it.

It was a 10 minute installation, very simple and plug and play, fits the existing fascia cut out, no need for a separate Bluetooth module, everything is contained in the radio unit, you will need an aerial adaptor to plug in the back of the unit, but mine came with it.

I did a lot of internet research before buying and found RCD330plus.com very helpful.

There are a number of different versions of this unit and I believe a lot of poor quality fake units in circulation.

I ended up buying a Noname 187B from Aidu Auto on AliExpress, it cost me just under £250 delivered and arrived in perfect condition in just under 2 weeks.

After installation I needed to do a firmware update, but again, very easy to do using a usb memory stick.

I now have Bluetooth handsfree (mic built in the unit so no need for any extra wiring) which works great and is very clear, Bluetooth music, rear parking sensor visualisation work perfectly and Apple CarPlay which gives me sat nav (this is not Bluetooth, you need to plug your phone in to the front USB port).

The only downside for me is that there is no DAB, but overall I am more than happy with the compromise / price point / ease of installation.

I know its not the solution for everyone, but I would recommend.
Attachments
carplay functioning.jpg
carplay functioning.jpg (818.33 KiB) Viewed 6632 times
Joemaxi531
New
Drives: 2011 Polo Gti dsg.3 door.

Post by Joemaxi531 »

Thinking of changing mine too, that looks a good option 👍
nd1233
New
Drives: 1.4l MK5 MATCH 85

Post by nd1233 »

uncledunnie wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:37 am Hi,

I fitted an RCD330 in my 2012 6R just under a year ago and have had no problems whatsoever with it.

It was a 10 minute installation, very simple and plug and play, fits the existing fascia cut out, no need for a separate Bluetooth module, everything is contained in the radio unit, you will need an aerial adaptor to plug in the back of the unit, but mine came with it.

I did a lot of internet research before buying and found RCD330plus.com very helpful.

There are a number of different versions of this unit and I believe a lot of poor quality fake units in circulation.

I ended up buying a Noname 187B from Aidu Auto on AliExpress, it cost me just under £250 delivered and arrived in perfect condition in just under 2 weeks.

After installation I needed to do a firmware update, but again, very easy to do using a usb memory stick.

I now have Bluetooth handsfree (mic built in the unit so no need for any extra wiring) which works great and is very clear, Bluetooth music, rear parking sensor visualisation work perfectly and Apple CarPlay which gives me sat nav (this is not Bluetooth, you need to plug your phone in to the front USB port).

The only downside for me is that there is no DAB, but overall I am more than happy with the compromise / price point / ease of installation.

I know its not the solution for everyone, but I would recommend.
Looks great!! Did you have a VW Touch phone kit installed in your Polo prior? I'm thinking of replacing my RCD-310 but not sure what to do with the phone kit after
uncledunnie
New

Post by uncledunnie »

Hi,

yes, I had the TPK kit installed as a factory fit (SEL) and I could not get it to work properly with my iPhone when I purchased the car, another reason for the head unit change.

I stripped out the whole TPK kit.

My microphone was fitted at the top of the drivers A post, so I cut the mic off and pulled the cable out from under the dashboard after I removed the old head unit, for no other reason than I didn't want to remove the a post trim, the mic cable came out very easily.

My touch pad was fitted to the top right of the head unit trim panel and came off easily once the trim panel was removed. It was actually stuck to the dashboard with a bit of double sided tape!

All the TPK control modules were behind the old head unit and I simply unplugged everything and removed it.

The power supply to the TPK unit was fed from the fuse panel just to the right of the steering column and this had to be removed, I seem to remember it was a red wire and just wedged into a fuse holder!!

Very straightforward little job.
nd1233
New
Drives: 1.4l MK5 MATCH 85

Post by nd1233 »

uncledunnie wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:56 am Hi,

yes, I had the TPK kit installed as a factory fit (SEL) and I could not get it to work properly with my iPhone when I purchased the car, another reason for the head unit change.

I stripped out the whole TPK kit.

My microphone was fitted at the top of the drivers A post, so I cut the mic off and pulled the cable out from under the dashboard after I removed the old head unit, for no other reason than I didn't want to remove the a post trim, the mic cable came out very easily.

My touch pad was fitted to the top right of the head unit trim panel and came off easily once the trim panel was removed. It was actually stuck to the dashboard with a bit of double sided tape!

All the TPK control modules were behind the old head unit and I simply unplugged everything and removed it.

The power supply to the TPK unit was fed from the fuse panel just to the right of the steering column and this had to be removed, I seem to remember it was a red wire and just wedged into a fuse holder!!

Very straightforward little job.
Thank you very much - seems like a nice weekend project!! Final q (can you tell I'm new to this?!) does it just connect to the aerial already installed in the car? I've been looking at a few DAB options but they all require their own external aerial.
uncledunnie
New

Post by uncledunnie »

HI,

the RCD330 does not support DAB, so if this is important to you, don't buy one!
Hpres
New
Drives: 2013 1.2 match edition

Post by Hpres »

Looks a good option, have you got any photos of the reverse sensor working? Where did you get the update info that you mentioned?

Thinking this may be a good option for our sons 2013 polo
uncledunnie
New

Post by uncledunnie »

Hi Hpres,

couple of photo's attached.

The Parkpilot image is when parked against a wall, so orange bars are showing flat across, but the display is segmental so does work on angles, etc.

The other image shows the Firmware my unit is running, I downloaded this from the internet about a year ago, there may be newer versions in circulation if required.

Hope that helps.
Attachments
current firmware.jpg
current firmware.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 6285 times
parkpilot.jpg
parkpilot.jpg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 6285 times
Hpres
New

Post by Hpres »

Don’t suppose you have got a link to the one you bought have you? Been looking on aliexpress and there are loads of sellers would prefer to purchase one which has been used before and is proven to work
whitepolo2012
New
Drives: White 2012 POLO S60

Post by whitepolo2012 »

@uncledunnie - I would also really appreciate a link please!

@Hpres - did you find one in the end?
mirceaculita
Silver Member
Drives: 6R 1.2TDI 75hp

Post by mirceaculita »

rcd330.com or ebay. Also on aliexpress there are a few very good sellers. Usually the ones with 1000+ orders and bunch of reviews.
uncledunnie
New

Post by uncledunnie »

Hi,

attached is my order confirmation, you can see the seller I purchased from towards the bottom.

I had to upgrade the firmware after installation, if you do buy one and have to do the same, drop me a note and I'll email you the file.

good luck!
Attachments
rcd330 order.jpg
rcd330 order.jpg (453.4 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
Hpres
New

Post by Hpres »

Have been speaking with aidu auto on aliexpress and I am being advised to buy this one

£269.88 1% Off | CarPlay Android Auto RCD330 RCD340 Plus Noname Radio 187B C210 For VW Tiguan Golf 5 6 Jetta MK5 MK6 Passat CC Polo 6RD035187B
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrE3xzo

Does this seem right? Just want to be sure before I buy as it is for my sons first car and he’s saved for it himself.

This is his current radio, just want to be sure it will be a straight plug and play and nothing else is required
Attachments
F4768876-1A93-43CC-B359-455382B6982A.jpeg
F4768876-1A93-43CC-B359-455382B6982A.jpeg (4.42 MiB) Viewed 5855 times
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Plug and play, but explore the (desay version google about it a bit) before he/you make a purchase.