air bag light - new owner

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Luke344567
New
Drives: 9N3

air bag light - new owner

Post by Luke344567 »

Hi there

I've recently taken ownership of a 2007 Polo (was my daughters for the last 8 years before that) and I'm just sorting a few bits on it I'm aware of before its MOT next month.
I currently have the airbag light on and am trying to diagnose it....google not helping much. I've read about wiring under the seat, but there is no wiring under either seat - its a fairly basic 1.2 3 cylinder model (no electric windows, no seatbelt warning, etc).
I also purchased an ODB bluetooth tool, but the small print said it didn't support air bag or ABS faults. So that got returned - I don't want to delete the error code, but identify and fix it.

Hope for some guidance.

Thanks

Luke
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: air bag light - new owner

Post by iichel »

You really do need to get a read-out of the airbag module, otherwise it's guessing.
Luke344567
New

Post by Luke344567 »

iichel wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:04 pm You really do need to get a read-out of the airbag module, otherwise it's guessing.
Any recommendations on the kit I need for that or am I better off taking somewhere, if its a pricey bit of kit?....thanks for the quick response btw
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Best for a one-off diagnosis is probably a garage with a universal scan tool.
I'm a VCDS and xhorse user myself, but these are more expensive than a one-time visit to a workshop.
Luke344567
New

Post by Luke344567 »

iichel wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:59 pm Best for a one-off diagnosis is probably a garage with a universal scan tool.
I'm a VCDS and xhorse user myself, but these are more expensive than a one-time visit to a workshop.
Cheers, will do that.
ValleyForge
New
Drives: 9N3 GTI

Post by ValleyForge »

iichel wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:59 pm Best for a one-off diagnosis is probably a garage with a universal scan tool.
+1 for the VCDS - it's been magic with our GTi. You might find someone who has a spare VIN code on theirs, or a garage that will read the codes for you.
Jayziph
New
Drives: 9n3

Post by Jayziph »

I believe you can go to halfords and if you ask nicely they'll do a diagnostic check free of charge. Which makes more sense than buying a 200+ quid diagnostic kit just for a one-time use.

Those airbag lights are pesky. I took my front seats out of my 2009 9n3 while I was cleaning it and snagged one of the wires at the point where it plugs in under the seat, fixed it myself and cleared the error codes with my OBDII scanner and it still came back every time I started the car. Yes, it turns out you have to spend a lot more cash on a diagnostic kit to clear those airbag codes haha. Hopefully you get it sorted mate.
Luke344567
New

Post by Luke344567 »

Jayziph wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:18 am I believe you can go to halfords and if you ask nicely they'll do a diagnostic check free of charge. Which makes more sense than buying a 200+ quid diagnostic kit just for a one-time use.

Those airbag lights are pesky. I took my front seats out of my 2009 9n3 while I was cleaning it and snagged one of the wires at the point where it plugs in under the seat, fixed it myself and cleared the error codes with my OBDII scanner and it still came back every time I started the car. Yes, it turns out you have to spend a lot more cash on a diagnostic kit to clear those airbag codes haha. Hopefully you get it sorted mate.
Thats a good idea! worth a shot and no harm in asking.

Thanks

Luke