M14x1.5 thread taper tool

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
kaijun61
New
Drives: 1.4 petrol

M14x1.5 thread taper tool

Post by kaijun61 »

Hi! one of my polo front wheel bolts is thread stripped. I need to clean stripped threads in wheel hub using M14x1.5 taper. But I don't know if a 1/2" or 3/8" wrench fits taper head. If not, can someone recommends a tool? Thanks!
2fast4ya
Getting There!
Drives: polo 1.8 tsi gti bluetec

Re: M14x1.5 thread taper tool

Post by 2fast4ya »

Thats going to be a big tap bit , if you tap a new thread you will probly make it wider & the wheel nut wont fit anymore,
Might pay to jus buy a new hub & its an easy swap out , you may have solved this issue by now but just an idea if you havnt !?
Paul
Sam78
New
Drives: 9n3 2006 1.2 12V

Post by Sam78 »

Hi
This happened to me and I tried what kaijun61 is thinking of - a previous garage job had stripped out one of the front wheel bolts which i only realised when taking the wheel off for another job. This was possibly related to the hub securing countersunk bolt screw also missing on that hub which might have led to a tiny bit of misalignment when the garage tried to tighten up a bolt hurriedly. So I would recommend checking to make sure that bolt is in place before doing any work - I ordered a similar replacement bolt and did that first.

I tried thread chasing using a 14mm 1.5 pitch thread chaser which came in a small case with the standard 2 types - the wide and narrow taper. You can look online for how to use these correctly. But start off by hand obviously and use wd40 regularly and wind in and out gently to extract swarf and debris as you go. In terms of what I used to drive it, I just used an adjustable wrench or other fixed size wrench to wind it.

But I back Paul's response - it often doesn't work, and it didn't with me. The bolt just could not hold anywhere near the sort of useful torque required for a wheel bolt. The problem is that the hub securing thread is not that deep, of the order 1cm, and the torque required is high. In my case it was just too badly gone, even though i was super careful.

The other option you could try is a helicoil insert, which involves drilling out the hole and using a tool to insert one. But I think it's best to just fit a new hub, they can be about £25, but of course it can be a bother to replace as you probably know.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Do it properly, replace the hub ;)