Fault code scanner

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Uberscuba
New
Drives: 2005 9n 1.2

Fault code scanner

Post by Uberscuba »

Hi, I've just bought a 2005 VW polo 9n 1.2 (BMD) with 43k mileage as my first car.
However it looks like there are a few issues with the car and a check engine light intermittently comes on.
My main problem is a lack of power in gear 1 and 2, I have to use high revs (3k/4k) in these gears to get going. The car judders when I press the accelerator in gear 1 and sometimes 2.
I've also discovered that the brake servo vacuum hose has been taped up so this will need replacing.
I want to buy a fault scanner to diagnose the problems. Is anyone able to recommend one that would work with my 9n?.
I've done some research, and found that VAGCOM VCDS is the best but it's out of my budget. Would a clone copy from China etc work? Also I'm considering if VCDS lite would work on my car, has anyone had experience of this?
I've also heard about obdeleven, carista, elm, and generic scanners. Has anyone got any experience of these working on a car similar to mine? Thanks in advance
2fast4ya
Getting There!
Drives: polo 1.8 tsi gti bluetec

Re: Fault code scanner

Post by 2fast4ya »

The brake servo hose has been taped up??
Whats underneath the tape? a split? Either way that dont sound good & could even be dangerous maybe if its to do with the brakes or clutch ! ? You dont want the brake system to fail tbh .
ie: scanners… i have an obdeleven pro diagnostics tool & it aint that bad tbh & mines a lifetime subscription , its a good alternative to a rosstech vcds although not as much progamming or modules as vcds. Tbh i would also only buy a full rosstech vcds if i was going to only have vw motors &
I would have the rosstech all day long but so expensive so for just a fraction of the cost an obdeleven is a steal , im still getting to grips with mine & it can do quite a lot once u get to know how to use it ! But be careful if u get any diagnostic tool because if you dont know what or how to use it or do certain changes etc to you car you can easily mess your ecu gateway up & that can be a costly mistake .
scotspie501
Getting There!
Drives: 2002

Re: Fault code scanner

Post by scotspie501 »

Hi

Hope this helps I have bought vagcom lite and I use it for clearing codes when they come up

you can buy the lead on line and software comes free I also bought a hand held scanner for £20 and it does the same