Wheels T-cross / Polo

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Lhzbwz
New
Drives: Polo AW

Wheels T-cross / Polo

Post by Lhzbwz »

Hi! I am about to buy new wheels for my Polo. Anyone know if the wheels from a T-Cross fits the Polo?

Thank you in advance! :D
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Wheels T-cross / Polo

Post by SRGTD »

Are the T-Cross alloys genuine VW items and what’s their spec? You’ve not said which wheels you have on your Polo and it would be useful if you could post up the spec details of both the T-Cross and your Polo’s alloys - i.e. the wheel width (the ‘J’ size), diameter, offset (ET), pitch circle diameter and bolt pattern. Centre bore size is 57.1 for the Polo and this should be the same for the T-Cross alloys, assuming they’re genuine VW items. The spec details should be stamped into the reverse side of the wheel spokes, along with other details such as the VW logo, VW part number and wheel manufacturer’s name. Also, what size tyres does your Polo have? If the T-Cross alloys are fitted with tyres, what size are those tyres?

Assuming the T-Cross has the same pitch circle diameter (PCD) of 5x100 as the current generation Polo (I think it does, as it’s a Polo-based car), then yes, it would be physically possible to bolt a set of T-Cross alloys onto your car. However, I’ve seen conflicting information on the internet of the T-Cross’s PCD; some sources quote it as 5x100 and others as 5x112; it needs to be 5x100. If the T-Cross does have a PCD of 5x112 (the majority of other cars manufactured by VW do), then the bolt holes in the T-Cross wheels won’t line up with the bolt holes in your car’s wheel hub assemblies so it won’t be possible to bolt them on.

You may also need to budget for new tyres as it’s important for the rolling radius of the T-Roc wheel+tyre is the same as that of your current wheel/tyre set up, otherwise your speedometer reading will be incorrect. Also, if the overall rolling radius of the T-Cross wheel+tyre is greater than your existing Polo wheel/tyre, then the tyres may rub against the wheel arches.

Bear in mind that the width and offset of the T-Cross alloys are also important factors to consider. If the T-Roc wheels you’re considering are wider and / or have a more aggressive offset then the current wheels on your Polo, then the outer face of the wheel / tyre may protrude outwards beyond the wheel arches (illegal in the UK) or rub against the bodywork of your car and / or the inner face of the wheel tyre may foul the suspension strut assembly.

There’s a useful calculator on www.willtheyfit.com that’ll calculate the critical differences between your existing wheel / tyre set up and the new wheel / tyre set up with the T-Cross alloys (e.g. distance from the suspension components, how much further the outer face of the wheel protrudes outwards or is tucked under the wheel arch, and speedo reading error).
Lhzbwz
New

Post by Lhzbwz »

Thank you for your detailed answer! The issues you are mentioning I would like to avoid haha..

My current Polo has 185/65-15 and 5/100. And the center diameter should be 57,1.

The information I have received from the seller of the T-cross is 205/55-17 and 5/100 + 57,1. They are original VW wheels with almost new tires on so I would like to avoid replacing them..

I don’t want the wheels to stick out from the wheel arches so maybe need to find another solution.. :lol:

Thank you again! :D
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

The calcs suggest your diameter difference would be significant at 5%+

Not surprising with a 2” wheel diameter change.

205/55 x16 is a very popular tyre size - one I’ve used often on winter tyres. Makes for easier selection ££££

What you didn’t mention was the centre line offset - the ET number.

As hinted at in previous postings to avoid the risks of rubbing o full lock. Sticking out is the least of your worries.
Lhzbwz
New

Post by Lhzbwz »

Once again thank you for your answer! The ET on my current wheels and on the ones I am looking at is ET40. But might be to much of a hassle to put on the T-cross wheels.. Might look into buying original Polo wheels instead, but that will cost a lot more! :)
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@Boxerboy; yes, offset details - together with the wheel width (the ‘J’ size) - are really needed to understand fully what the differences would be between the OP’s existing set up and fitting the T-Cross wheels to their car. They’d definitely need new lower profile tyres for the T-Cross’s 17” alloys though to eliminate (or reduce significantly) the difference in rolling radius, speedo reading error and keep the Polo’s ride height pretty much the same as it is now.

Based on the tyre sizes provided by @Lhzbwz, I think the wheel spec for their existing Polo’s alloys is 5.5Jx15 ET40 and for the T-Cross alloys 6.5Jx17 ET39 (these details were obtained from www.wheel-size.com). Plugging this information and tyre size information provided previously by @Lhzbwz into the calculator on www.willtheyfit.com gives the result in the first screen shot below. As well as a large speedo reading error, the existing high profile tyres would increase the Polo’s ride height by almost 18mm;
0C61D20C-92E1-4356-8293-ABE7424CA7B5.jpeg
0C61D20C-92E1-4356-8293-ABE7424CA7B5.jpeg (96.97 KiB) Viewed 654 times
To rectify the speedo reading error and ride height issues, if those T-Cross alloys were to be fitted to @Lhzbwz’s Polo I think the tyres would need to be 205/45 R17. That would reduce the speedo reading error from -5.45% to +0.84% (so at true speeds of 30 mph and 60 mph the indicated speed on the speedo would be 30.25 and 60.51 respectively) and the change in ride height compared to the Polo’s existing ride height would be 2.6mm less - see below;

With 205/45 R17 tyres on the T-Cross alloys;
BCB01C8A-86F7-47BA-BBDA-91BA402FA2E5.jpeg
BCB01C8A-86F7-47BA-BBDA-91BA402FA2E5.jpeg (66.6 KiB) Viewed 635 times
The changes in poke and tuck (purple box in above screen shots) are based on the assumption that the wheel width and offset details I’ve used are correct. If they’re not then the OP would need to change these for the correct details.