Low MPG figures - Lead Foot?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
New
Drives: Polo Mk. 10 95PS

Low MPG figures - Lead Foot?

Post by 6666 »

Hey guys, I've owned my 2019 Polo 95 TSI for almost 2 years now and I'm really not that impressed with the MPG figures I've been getting, going down the motorway I'll get a good 51-55 MPG but when driving to work I'll get 32-38 depending on if the start-stop is working (which never really does but that's a story for a different thread). Sadly changed the radio so I can't keep an eye on my think blue trainer :lol:

What do you guys get out of your Polos? Just wondering if I'm expecting too much, I should drive more carefully for better MPG or if there's a problem with the car. Cheers! :D
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Low MPG figures - Lead Foot?

Post by SRGTD »

Lots of factors will influence mpg - e.g.
  • length of journey
  • whether or not engine has an opportunity to get up to optimum operating temperature
  • volume of traffic on the road
  • if your journeys to work are short on a cold engine, then your car will be running at its least efficient and mpg will be poor, especially if combined with peak traffic times and lots of stop start work
  • whether car is fully laden or driver only
  • tyre pressures; if under inflated, mpg will suffer
  • with the lower bhp 1.0 engine, there may be a tendency to use a bit more of a lead foot for acceleration and to maintain momentum, which won’t be good for mpg
There will be other factors too.

Are you calculating your mpg figures manually or relying on the figures calculated by the car’s computer? If the latter, then I’ve found in my current and previous four VW’s these can be out by up to 5 - 7%.

In my Polo GTI+ (2.0 litre with 6 speed DSG) my long term average is around 41-42 mpg. Shorter in-town trips I usually get 30-33 mpg and on longer journeys it’s usually mid to upper 40’s.