Lurching feeling

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Gixie
New
Drives: 2000 VW Polo E.

Lurching feeling

Post by Gixie »

Ive just brought a old 2000 VW Polo E, Cool little car, sat for a while but after wearing the rust off the brakes and fitting a back box to the exhaust a new coil pack plugs and leads she goes ok.

But, In third and fourth she likes to lurch while dawdling in traffic, a constant hunting of drive like she wants to go. Its annoying as ive got a knackered back and the to n throw in third n fourth ain nice.

Stick it in fifth and itll smoothly but slowly pull you upto speed.

Whats causing the hunt???
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Lurching feeling

Post by RUM4MO »

I've had that happen on a later 2002 Polo 9N 1.4 16V 75PS, and it only started happening after I cleaned the TB, so I ran adaption using VCDS and that sorted it out or maybe even finding a cracked servo hose or any other vac hose could work for you. It felt a lot like low speed/load shunting or as you said hunting.

Edit:- a friend's daughter had a later 9N facelift with the 1.2 engine, and it started doing a similar thing only after he serviced it including replacing the air filter, he found that refitting the old but still useable genuine VW air filter sorted that out so that was what he did, ie binned the new cheapy air filter element, I'd reckon that a Mann filter would be as good as a genuine VW part as VW do tend to use Mann air filters on most but not all of their cars.
Gixie
New

Post by Gixie »

Thank for that mate, Sorry id not got back on here. Its still doing it, i still need to have a look.

Due to rust, I have to do the steering tie rods and new ends, Bottom arms and the antiroll bar... Maybe fit a better than mine subframe too, Theyve shed all there paint and look terrible, Then have a faff setting up the tracking camber and caster as ive been watching some very handy youtubes on the subject. lol. Pays to have a look first. Its just had all new brakes, Now the PRC lights on/off but the abs is perfect, Tested it at 70mph in the wet, Simple stamp on the brakes and without so much as a squeel, the light weight stopped on a dime. Straight as a arrow, Well done VW. Not bad for a 22yr old car. 62k and going strong (except for the slow 40-60 zone, then for a 1000cc she flys upto 80 and will be happy to sit there.)
Gixie
New

Post by Gixie »

Thank for that mate, Sorry id not got back on here. Its still doing it, i still need to have a look.

Due to rust, I have to do the steering tie rods and new ends, Bottom arms and the antiroll bar... Maybe fit a better than mine subframe too, Theyve shed all there paint and look terrible, Then have a faff setting up the tracking camber and caster as ive been watching some very handy youtubes on the subject. lol. Pays to have a look first. Its just had all new brakes, Now the EPC lights on/off but the abs is perfect, Tested it at 70mph in the wet, Simple stamp on the brakes and without so much as a squeel, the light weight stopped on a dime. Straight as a arrow, Well done VW. Not bad for a 22yr old car. 62k and going strong (except for the slow 40-60 zone, then for a 1000cc she flys upto 80 and will be happy to sit there.)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The quality of the paint used on the "under carriage" id dire, always has been and still is, my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI got treated to a lot of Waxoyl this summer, in the past I've tried to clean up rusty parts where the black paint has come off and paint with either black satin Hammerite or a mixture of that and Owytoil. I started doing that on my wife's first Polo a 2002 1.4 and that possibly helped it last at least until it was 13 years/135K miles old with us from new.

I could see that some people would end up needing to swop the control arms and subframe though!

I had a strange experience, when I went to drive that 2015 Polo back into the garage a couple of months ago, I noticed a bolt head lying on the garage floor - looking under the car I found that the head of the front left hand side subframe securing bolt was missing! The way that subframe is fabricated and its front fixing points position, do mean that water gets down into the lower end of the "tube spacer" that bolt's head covers/seals and so salty winter spray really does do quite a bit of damage in there, the rear bolts securing that front subframe are not affected at all as they don't have that "tube spacer" for water to collect in, nasty! So that car needed a new set of bolts and a full 4 wheel re-alignment. Now it seems to be asking for front wheel bearings at under 40K miles!