QQR/MQ350 gearbox oil capacity

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

QQR/MQ350 gearbox oil capacity

Post by Bepis »

Anyone got any idea what the oil capacity is on the GTi gearbox?

Code is QQR or the gearbox itself is the MQ350. Couldn't find anything online and dealer couldn't find anything on their end without sending a ticket to I assume VW UK.
Bepis
Silver Member

Re: QQR/MQ350 gearbox oil capacity

Post by Bepis »

Of course, after I've made a post I've found some info.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/4 ... nge-20tdi/

From this post it seems that it takes 2.3L of oil, part number G052 527 A2. I'll see if I can get any confirmation from my dealer/VW UK.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

3.2.1 Capacity, manual gearbox
Capacity of manual gearbox (gearbox
completely dismantled)
2.30 litres
Capacity of manual gearbox (gearbox
partially dismantled)
2.15 litres

this is from the erwin information i got from vw about my car
Bepis
Silver Member

Post by Bepis »

Thanks for the extra info. Seems I still need to get 3 bottles of the stuff at nearly £40 a litre :shock:
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

bloody hell that's pretty expensive stuff can see why it's sealed for life.

i hope i don't need to use that with a different gearset.
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

Bepis,

I think you'll find that the engineering firm Febi do the same gearbox oil for half that price. I'm told it has the same spec as the stuff sold by VW franchises.
Bepis
Silver Member

Post by Bepis »

Had the gearbox oil changed. As originally mentioned 2.3L roughly was needed to fill it.

Ended up using VWs gearbox oil which is labeled "High performance gear oil" as I probably won't change it again for the next 3-5 years. The label probably explains the jump from £14 a litre to £40 compared to their other gearbox oils :lol:. My god does it stink though.

Notchiness is still there which is good, 1st-3rd is still a little noisy (not clunking or grinding just a low-level whirring that disappears as soon as you engage the gear) changing between gears but that just seems to be a characteristic of this box.

An overall improvement in shifter feel. Will update after a few weeks of driving.
Mikeso51
Bronze Member
Drives: Blue GT. Also Audi A3 1.4tfsi.

Post by Mikeso51 »

Hi Bepis,

Out if interest, what made you change the gearbox oil, and what is your mileage? I ask because my car has the same MQ350 gearbox, and even though it is very low mileage (25k) I find it notchy, particularly when cold, and generally noisy in low gears. I also get a light whirring noise in neutral when the oil is hot. This noise is not present when cold, and stops when the clutch is depressed, which suggests a noisy gearbox bearing. Dealer insists this is normal for this ‘box………
Bepis
Silver Member

Post by Bepis »

As for what made me change it, the box felt quite stiff especially when it was cold and on my previous cars changing the gearbox oil seemed to rectify or improve this. It was also 5 years old so also just maintenance/peace of mind.

Changed at 44k, 5 years old. There is a whirring noise at idle in neutral which disappears with the clutch in. As you mentioned it's probably the shaft bearings that are making the noise but unless it's making a significantly loud roaring noise I don't think there's anything to worry about.

An example of pretty bad input shaft bearing noise. Different car and gearbox but still a VAG box.
https://youtu.be/WSar2KJ86KE?t=131

2:11-3:00
Mikeso51
Bronze Member

Post by Mikeso51 »

Thanks Bepis, that’s useful. Thankfully my whirring noise in neutral is nothing like as bad as the example in your clip, and only noticeable when the oil is hot. Since you have a similar noise, maybe it IS “a characteristic of the gearbox” as the dealer said.

I will be interested to hear if you found your your oil change of benefit after covering a few miles.
Bepis
Silver Member

Post by Bepis »

After around 2000 miles the improved shifter feel is still present and shifting when cold although notchier than when the car is up to temperature (5- 10 miles of driving) is still better than before the oil was changed.

It's worth doing in my opinion but pricey if you use VW oil. I think I'd look at doing it after another 40-60k miles depending on how the box feels.
Mikeso51
Bronze Member

Post by Mikeso51 »

Bepis,

Thanks for the update. Glad that the expensive oil change turned out to be worthwhile. It seems wrong to need to change the oil so early on the car’s life, but if I can find the right oil at a discount I may well give it a try myself.

Mike