Polo 9n 2004 Bonnet micro switch

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Andrew S
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 2004

Polo 9n 2004 Bonnet micro switch

Post by Andrew S »

Hi All

Does any one know where I can get a replacement micro switch as its playing up and causing the yellow oil light to come on intermittently? I can see them on eBay overseas at around £37! and I am reluctant to just buy another second hand bonnet catch that comes with the switch in case I have the same problem.

Can they existing switch be cleaned with electrical cleaner or am I wasting my time as they are sealed units?

Is it straight forward to changing the with when the catch is off?

If I lift the bonnet and put it downs straight away the light goes out

Any help appreciated
2fast4ya
Getting There!
Drives: polo 1.8 tsi gti bluetec

Re: Polo 9n 2004 Bonnet micro switch

Post by 2fast4ya »

Should be able to clean the switch it might solve it
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

Thanks, may well give it a try :)
2fast4ya
Getting There!

Post by 2fast4ya »

I was thinking that you could when u got spare time you could take the whole latch off & clean all of it & inspect the switch for cracks & make sure the rubber seal around the pin is intact , by the look of the whole thing the switch can be seperated from the latch mechanism as u may already know .
I inspected a micro switch which was on my last car , the switch was playing up so i sourced a secondhand one from the breakers & it only cost me a few quid but it may or may not have work in hind sight , so i put it on the car anyway & it worked fine which gave me time to check my faulty one out , i managed to clean all the crud n grease off it & i wert & dry sanded the metal strip that pushes the pin in , it looked ok & i hooked it back up to the car just to see if i had sorted that one out but it was still not working soi decided to opent the switch up & have gander inside & i noticed crud inside but not a lot so cleaned that out with electrical cleaner i notice the connection strip insid was loose & no conneting when i depressed the the pin so i re-seated it inside & put it back together & put it back on the car & blow me it worked but wernt sure how long it would stay good so put the other one on . 😁 well although i didnt use it it gave me an insight to how the switch was put together & how it operated on the inside the casing lol im interested in doing stuff like that to give me useless knowledge well not useless really 🤣👍🏼
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

If the car wasn’t used as much, I would also take it apart to have a look but knowing my luck I would run out of time and it would end in a divorce LOL
Thanks for sharing the findings
2fast4ya
Getting There!

Post by 2fast4ya »

Haha no worries 👍🏼
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

You can buy new bonnet catches with switches for the Golf models and they look the same as the Polo catches etc.

This is an example ebay advert

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363781876295 ... %3A2047675

Does anyone know if they are the same? I don't see new catches for the Polo for some reason

Much appreciated
Andrew S
Bronze Member

Post by Andrew S »

Have taken bonnet catch off and removed micro switch. Hoping I managed to get enough electrical cleaner inside switch and given it quite a pressings hoping it’s lodged any dirt.
Refitted and light hasn’t come on yet on dash :0
Thanks for the advice :)
Cheers
Andrew