Front Pads and Disc 2016 GTI Torque settings

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
TrebleTA
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 GTI (6r)

Re: Front Pads and Disc 2016 GTI Torque settings

Post by TrebleTA »

Just a update, all went smoothly to a point, 1 thing I did notice was the pads were a very tight fit, fitting new and removing the old ones had to ply out. Would that not cause a problem, if the pads dont have sliding movement. (The corners you put anti squeal on)?
spartacus68
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.4 TDI (90PS) Blue motion

Post by spartacus68 »

Pads shouldn’t be tight. Brakes will work, but down the line you are going to have problems with heat.

Tear it down again. My money is on corrosion on the carrier. Remove the brake carrier and use a copper wire wheel brush on a drill and clean it. You can even use a metal file on the recess where the pads sit. Use a light smear of ceramic brake grease on edge of pads and refit. Have you lubed brake sliders too?
TrebleTA
Bronze Member

Post by TrebleTA »

I had it stripped down I was going to use a file to try make better, but left it, there was a bit of corrosion, there always is, I used a screwdriver to remove it with a wire brush. I will pop in VW see what they say then as I was shocked they was so tight too, and I used OEM pads.
The pads were tight to remove had to use a screwdriver to ply out as I said, at the carrier, and fitting had same thing. Of course I re greased and applied copper slick.

I will let you know what they say.
Else will get a file out.

P.s I use to get a whine from the front left like it was sticking at craw speeds. Had to push on the peddle hard to stop it, I did put it down to old disc pads but well a sticking pad now sounds like it. Cars only done 45k
TrebleTA
Bronze Member

Post by TrebleTA »

Got my local dealer too have a look, they said it was fine. Yet I will keep eye for signs of glazing. If so will file the pads and carrier alittle.
spartacus68
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.4 TDI (90PS) Blue motion

Post by spartacus68 »

You can test by driving for a few miles then coasting to a stop. Brakes may be warm, but not hot.

Not convinced with main dealer, they may have done a visual inspection, but you need to dismantle to really see what’s going on. The pads should move in the carrier with no friction.
TrebleTA
Bronze Member

Post by TrebleTA »

I totally agree and when I asked to speak to the tech they gave me his doing a mot, that lost him his tip tbh, as i was thinking of the hassle I put him in, if he did fully strip it down. I started getting this attitude 3-4 months ago after they cleaned the car and tock paint off the rear bumper, so complained, got sorted and now I'm in there bad books.
After 150 miles mostly motorway the wheels felt warm if that, also free running seems fine, if I drop the clutch and roll it dont seem to slow unnaturally.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

If you are going to file, file down the pad. Its cheaper
TrebleTA
Bronze Member

Post by TrebleTA »

Yes indeed, thanks will give feed back in a month or so when I recheck
TrebleTA
Bronze Member

Post by TrebleTA »

Hi all, it's been a while hope all is good. Merry Christmas.

Well a update, VW lied in saying they gave my pads wiggle room, I have break judder, ive not driven the car much, been more my partiner, yet she has not said anything, but on the pedal it's got quite bad now. I tried to get vw to look at it but there being dicks. Even tho they was ment to of sorted the pads when I got the break fluid changed. For paper work.
On high speeds the judder is bad. slow speeds you can still feel it on the way it breaks but not so bad on the peddle yet is there. I'm guess they lied and never sorted the pads wiggle room and they have over heated.
Problem now is getting the car up to have a better look, my partners dad is in hospital so she is using the car alot, but I'm not happy with the breaks, was shocked!

So if I jack the car up, prob on boxing day, Roll the wheel I should find the one that stops starts. Just to make sure it is the front, I dont have a run out tool, but I think it's to late now to try to give wiggle room on the front pads if they have not done so, but may stop from getting worse, i can not conform untill I get a proper look.

Im after any advice posable, like any other reason for break judder.
Also any advice I could do to VW, i am asking if I can return for the pads as faulty, same for discs to euro but can see that being a big £ loss.
Feel let down by my local vw dealer, but they will look at it, for a cost, and the first thing they want to do is change the discs, yet if they dont give wiggle room am back at square one. But ofcourse they would now.

Also I have felt the wheel after a drive and its never felt hot. But never did check, if vw did :(

I will go TPS in new year and get oem discs pads.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

Is the judder in just the brake pedal or the steering wheel as well?

Typically if it’s just in the brake pedal it’ll be the rear brakes if it’s felt in the steering wheel it’ll be front. Sometimes brake judder can be caused by pad deposits on the discs which could sort itself with some spirited driving. Just make sure to cool them down before parking.

I don’t believe VW will do anything as they typically only warranty work where they supplied the parts. But I imagine trying to warranty brakes would be quite difficult.

If you want OE brakes then ATE are usually a good bet. Not 100% sure of the OEM for the pads and discs but the GTi front callipers are marked ATE while the rear are marked TRW.

I’ve been running Ferodo DSP pads and VBT discs at the front which have been great other than that with light braking my car sounds like a train pulling in. Re bedding them usually sorts it for a bit but I think the constant re bedding has cooked my rear TRW DTEC pads and Textar discs.

If you do go to replace your brakes, make sure that where the pads run in the carrier is as clean and rust free as it can be. Mine were quite bad as the pads wouldn’t move freely in the carrier. In the end I had to get a brake file to clean it up. A smear of ceratec helps stops it coming back.

Hope that helps :)
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

What's stopping you from filing them down a bit? I've noticed that the painted surface affects the pad sliding.
TrebleTA
Bronze Member

Post by TrebleTA »

That was the orginal problem the pads are jammed in the runner, had to ply the old pads out with little force and tap new in, its why I ask VW to check there OEM pads. But dont think they did, Hench buckled front discs.

Nothing is stopping me from fileing down the pads, and hope it could solve it, i will try to do that xmas week. But havent had a chance to look, so can not say if VW did file them down or not.

P.s yes it's like they did not count the size difference spraying the calipers.
TrebleTA
Bronze Member

Post by TrebleTA »

After some thinking! my break discs are brembo high performance carbon discs not steel, so they should not warp, so thinking it's the pads. where I used OEM pads not the eco ones, so are a very hard compound, maybe there wrong for the disc, or were such a hard fit, they have over heated and are glazed?
Anyone with any input.i am right in what I'm thinking, Looking to check Monday if the rain hold out?
If the pads are glazed, smooth across the surface, can the pads be recovered?
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Well most of high quality disc rotors are high in carbon.
You can re-use the brake pads. They will be fine for the brake discs, high aggressive pads will only wear the disc faster. Id file over the edge a bit, sure you can sand down the pad surface.
Re-bed the pads, few(~10) hard stops from 60 mph to 20 mph then cool them down by driving.
Hey u have nothing to loose, give it a try if you have free time.
TrebleTA
Bronze Member

Post by TrebleTA »

Thanks, i was thinking i could sand the pads down. The discs are still new looking, same for pads and can not see any lip, looking throu the wheel. I Need to get this car up in the air, its done about 1500 to 2000 miles with complete new breaks allround, also fluid changed.
On slow speeds an soft breaking you can feel the car breaks griping and not griping, also on the peddle.