Alloy wheels corroded to hub

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Alloy wheels corroded to hub

Post by Steve_2019 »

Yesterday I wanted to rotate my wheels on my Polo, but I got a problem that the alloy wheels has corroded them selfs to the hub.

Anyone know a method of freeing them from the hub without doing any damage too the Alloy wheel and hub.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Alloy wheels corroded to hub

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve seen this discussed on various forums over the years, and the usual methods are to use a rubber mallet or a block of wood. If the car’s supported on the emergency jack supplied with the car while trying to do this, be very careful that the car doesn’t fall off the jack.

Another method I’ve seen discussed is to loosen the wheel bolts slightly while the car is jacked up and then lower the car to the ground. The weight of the car might be sufficient to break the corrosion seal between the hub assembly and the wheel.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

The only thing i would add to SRGTD's answer is leave one wheel bolt loosely in the wheel while are hitting it from behind with a rubber hammer while rotating it a bit at a time ,so that when the wheel does eventually come free it doent fall flat on the ground face down or roll away.
Once removed clean the hub and wheel with a wire brush and apply some anti-sieze and refit , hopefully this will not happen again.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

SRGTD wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:06 am I’ve seen this discussed on various forums over the years, and the usual methods are to use a rubber mallet or a block of wood. If the car’s supported on the emergency jack supplied with the car while trying to do this, be very careful that the car doesn’t fall off the jack.

Another method I’ve seen discussed is to loosen the wheel bolts slightly while the car is jacked up and then lower the car to the ground. The weight of the car might be sufficient to break the corrosion seal between the hub assembly and the wheel.
I'd recommend option 2 from above. All three of the Scoobies that I have owned back in the day, were sods for this. Just loosen the wheel bolts one at a time (car on the ground). Then just do them up finger tight, again one at a time. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel a couple of times. Job done. Certainly never failed me :D
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

Usually with the wheel in question only just raised off the ground and the wheel bolts still in but well loosened give the inside of the tyre (not the wheel rim) a good beating with a rubber mallet.

First thing I always do whether new or used is remove each wheel, prepare and paint the hubs and put a smear of copper slip on the hub where the wheel locates, DO NOT ever put grease on the face of the hub that the wheel bolts to, they will come loose.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

Thanks guys finally got the job done. It was only the back wheels that was corroded on.

I just loosened the wheel nuts so they was just biting and rolled the car back and forwards a couple of times and it did the job.
mobbeduo
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI 2.0 2020

Post by mobbeduo »

To anybody that got this issue in the future.

Another trick is to place all bolts back in, loosen them from tight by one rotation then rock the car.

Like demonstrated in this video.
https://youtu.be/6_I999FZr1s
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

The following is from the VW Polo (AW) workshop manual, doing this can avoid the same problem happen again in the future:
wheel.JPG
wheel.JPG (98.34 KiB) Viewed 520 times