tyre wear & pulls left

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
atopman
New
Drives: polo 6r

tyre wear & pulls left

Post by atopman »

Hi everyone, hope someone can advise, my polo drove perfectly staright before i had an MOT, and the guy said it needed an inner track rod end replacing.
I asked for him to try and restore the threads as before, he said it will need tracking afterwards anyway.
Immediatley after the MOT i noticed the car doesnt drive straight, and goes to the left. So i had the tracking done,
It did improve some,so i thought it might settle down after. However after several months, its still not right, and after a few months the driver side tyre has worn on the inside.
Heres a printout of the tracking as it was now.
tracking kwik fit may 2022.jpg
tracking kwik fit may 2022.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 894 times
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: tyre wear & pulls left

Post by amer6R »

What about left front and right rear?
Car can pull even if your left and right tires arent evenly worn.
EdSilmon
New

Post by EdSilmon »

Try taking it to a different Kwik fit and tell them that you had the tracking done elsewhere and hopefully they'll feel sorry for you and slag off the other depot and fix your car properly this time. For free ideally.
And in future have less hope that mechanical problems will fix themselves. They won't. Your car should have been left in the same condition as it was when you brought it in.
I have a feeling that there's a time limit for bringing back tracking issue cars and you may be outside it but I would just try to pitch the depots against each other and see how it goes...
TrebleTA
Bronze Member
Drives: 2021-22 GTI+

Post by TrebleTA »

Ok tracking can be a funny thing. first off, were the track rod end was changed, I would then do a 4 wheel alignment, check all tyre pressures as that can mess it up, then take for a quick spin then put back on the ramp recheck and re adjust. When doing the tracking make sure they put on the spinning plates also I would bounce the car when under the ramp to resettle. If after doing the above it still pulls get the ball joints or wish bones checked. At another garage.
Many moons ago I was a fitter for them but walked out due to kwit fit conning customers. Yet I still use them here and there just I watch them.
Last time in my golf I wanted 2 fronts done they never put on the ram correctly and bent the panel under the car, put 60 psi in 1 of my tyres and forgot the middle caps. At the time was complaining about my floor and never noticed the middle caps. Till next day, and they would not replace after. So they bent the floor mounts never got sorted. Yet 1 if my brothers has a M3 and some special wheels. Told him take kwitfit as there prod damage and they did and he got a referb.

All it gos down to is the fitter in person, and that's same for any company, some will be good, can normaly tell by clean ness of the job done.

P.s things to check.
Anti roll bar bushes, wheel bearings, ball joint, wishbones and trackrob ends inner and outer, Shocks and top mount, also breaks as they can stick and cause pulling. Easy to tell jack up spin wheel then pump the peddle then spin again.
On my current polo my passenger font is sticking now and then.

The hardest to do on my golf was the anti roll bar brushes, I give up tock main dealer tock them 4 hrs, was ment to take a hour, they was tuff..
TrebleTA
Bronze Member

Post by TrebleTA »

Also when doing the tracking the front tyres I would swap with the back unless they had funny ware. To level the front.
Yet could be just the fact he did not clamp the steering wheel dead centre when he did it.
Sorry also in that picture it dont show end result just before current, seem the same.
atopman
New

Post by atopman »

EdSilmon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:44 pm Try taking it to a different Kwik fit and tell them that you had the tracking done elsewhere and hopefully they'll feel sorry for you and slag off the other depot and fix your car properly this time. For free ideally.
And in future have less hope that mechanical problems will fix themselves. They won't. Your car should have been left in the same condition as it was when you brought it in.
I have a feeling that there's a time limit for bringing back tracking issue cars and you may be outside it but I would just try to pitch the depots against each other and see how it goes...
I had taken it for the tracking to an independent tyre shop after the mot, then i had asked them to check it again (because it was still going to the left although not as bad before they adjusted it) They said it was okay and didnt change anything. heres the pics of the settings, it shows driver tyre 2mm toe in ( worn on inside since mot), passenger tyre 1mm toe out, rear drivers side 7.5mm, rear passengers side 6.5mm. After this i took it to kwik fit who also said it was okay.
IMG_8485.jpg
IMG_8485.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 670 times
IMG_8486.jpg
IMG_8486.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 670 times
IMG_8487.jpg
IMG_8487.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 670 times
IMG_8488.jpg
IMG_8488.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 670 times
atopman
New

Post by atopman »

amer6R wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:24 pm What about left front and right rear?
the tyres were same brand and model, same tread, same wear ( 4.5mm)
atopman
New

Post by atopman »

amer6R wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:24 pm What about left front and right rear?
they are both even and when on the tracking machine the laser reading was on 7.5mm and 6.5mm, whatever that means.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

As per your pictures the two rear reading on that type of machine (not really 4 wheel alighment) should be the same with the steering wheel straight ahead and clamped .
other wise it will pull to one side , the rear flags are only telling the operator where the front wheels are pointing , plus the rear bar should be in the centre of the wheel
TrebleTA
Bronze Member

Post by TrebleTA »

Also notice the front wheels are not on a spin plate, but would not matter for checking. But as the last person said the back wheel markers need to be the same to show the front is straight. Sometimes i would just kink the streening wheel very slightly right if not straight then clamp, as a car will wonder left a little due to road camber. Once the backs are lined up, you can then +and - both fronts to get the correct reading.

Also is the tracking tow in out 0, have no access to a chart. But sure prob be a +1
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

I think you have something worn out on the car. You camber is not in spec and that will for sure make the tire wear out faster.
Id check front bushing and shock, and on the rear the shock.
EdSilmon
New

Post by EdSilmon »

I suspect that +1 is within spec for your car though that may be the cause of the pull. It's just unfortunate. I agree too with amer that perhaps there's wear and tear on another component but the steering not being held properly could also be the cause.

Third time lucky somewhere else? And tell them that it pulls left as it is and hopefully they'll make you a new customer and sort out your problem. I repeat though, that probably the current setting is appropriate so you don't need to worry about your tyres wearing from the tracking...