DPF issues?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Sizzly94
New
Drives: Polo 1.6 TDI SE 3dr 2010

DPF issues?

Post by Sizzly94 »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can give myself any advice on an issue that has been occuring with my VW Polo since I purchased it off a private seller Feb 2022.

For context; This is the first car I have purchased since passing my test. I had no issues with the car for the first couple weeks after buying. The car has done 100k miles and had good service history, well looked after, parts/tyres changed when needed.

The issue I am having is that my DPF light is coming on between 7-10 days. I understand that if I am mainly doing short journeys, then the DPF is not getting to temps/has enough time in the journey to begin a regeneration. However, days before the light comes on, the car begins to judder, sometimes quite bad, when I'm maintaining speeds of 20/30mph. There is also a delay from when I put my foot on the accelerator pedal, and the car actually accelerating (about 0.5 secs). After 2-3 days of juddering here and there whilst driving, the DPF light eventually comes on. Once I take my car on the motorway (following instructions and advice of the community pages on official VW site) the car behaves normally for another couple days/upto a week. I am roughly doing 50-80 miles a week, which I know isnt a lot, and If I knew more about diesels/DPFs in the first place, would not have considered getting a diesel.

This brings me on to garages...

So I took it to a few garages. The first garage told me that I needed to simply drive the car on the motorway at least once a week to regenerate the DPF, and that with all the tests he did on my car, he could not find any faults. He did tell me, however, that the car should not be juddering, and that it could be a different issue altogether. For me it seems too conveneint that the juddering begins a couple days before the DPf light comes on, then suddenly stops as soon as I regenerate it? The second garage I took it too told me that they could not detect any faults with their diagnostic tools, and that I had 3 options...

1. Clean the DPF (£2-300)
2. Delete the DPF (£2-300)
3. Replace the DPF (£600+)

He advised me to get the DPF professionally cleaned, which I did with a company called DPF fixer, a mobile DPF cleaning company. That cost me £330 and all the bloke did was pour some liquid in the DPF, let it settle for 45mins, then revved my engine to 3k revs in neutral for 40mins to blast all the foam out the exhaust. This has made 0 difference and a complete waste of money.

In short, all I am asking is for some advice/recommendations on what I should do next, whether to delete the DPF or replace, or whether anyone on here thinks that the issue is elsewhere with the car? The juddering is quite concerning, and for a driver who's only just recently passed their test, quite nerve-wracking.

Would really appreciate any/all responses and thank you very much for reading/helping!
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: DPF issues?

Post by amer6R »

Take a look at the EGR vale, common issue.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

EGR coolers give problems also make sure its on the latest software from vw and not the emmisions cheat software
Dont do a DPF delete this will get complicated when its MOT time as it needs one

Edit . just remember the DPF is a servicable part in that it has a limited life you may just be at that point ?
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

CarbonChaos wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:59 pm EGR coolers give problems also make sure its on the latest software from vw and not the emmisions cheat software
Dont do a DPF delete this will get complicated when its MOT time as it needs one

Edit . just remember the DPF is a servicable part in that it has a limited life you may just be at that point ?
How do skoda fabias VRS pass MOT 😎
There should be 0 smoke on stock power with dpf delete
CarbonChaos
Silver Member

Post by CarbonChaos »

It’s not really about smoke levels regarding an mot,it’s about the vehicle being as the manufacturer intended , see here - this is taken from the inspection manual for compression ignition engines

8.2.2.1. Exhaust emission control equipment
You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as diesel oxidation catalysts, diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation valves and selective catalytic reduction valves.

If a diesel particulate filter has clearly been cut open and rewelded, you should reject it unless the vehicle presenter can show evidence that there was a valid reason to cut it open, such as for filter cleaning.

Defect Category
(a) Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer missing, obviously modified or obviously defective (MAJOR FAILURE)
(b) An induction or exhaust leak that could affect emissions levels (MAJOR FAILURE)
(c) Evidence that the diesel particulate filter has been tampered with. (MAJOR FAILURE)

Edit** also not 😎 to cover the planet in soot and nox gases
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

So how to they pass?
How do darkside cars with downpipes pass mot?
Where does the soot in the end go? Cleaned and dumped somewhere, burned..?
- In the end EGR and DPF is some kind of device to cheat, just a coverup to pay less taxes.

😎- Tell that to the military equipment and your eletrical provider. Those who talk eco friendly this eco friendly that are the worse polluters.
Whats the point of cities they polute, tons and tons of garbage.
Cars, car parts that dont last- polution...
Plastic crap that doesnt last- polution...
Also not 😎 from car manufacturers to put you in debt because od their bad solutions

I wish that they made quality solution, and not a solution to rob out pockets and to pay less tax.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member

Post by CarbonChaos »

To answer your first question 'how do they pass' they dont , if you look at darksides web site on every egr or dpf delete it states and i have copied this directly from there

DARKSIDE DEVELOPMENTS ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE USE OF THIS PART ON THE PUBLIC HIGHWAY WHERE REMOVAL OF EMISSIONS CONTROLS IS PROHIBITED
IT IS THE CUSTOMERS RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THEY COMPLY WITH RULES AND LAWS RELATING TO THEIR HOME COUNTRY

so i stand by my first statement ref mot time, sorry but if you want a dodgy mot there are still places out there willing the break the law and make a profit
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Lol, thats what they say to protect them legaly against law suits from the Country like they had in USA against pfi speed and Diesel brothers.

If you look at their projects all of them are registed and insured.
As far as i know diesel with egr and dpf off will pass mot and emissions easly. Not just in UK but in many countries.

Im just against ripping people off.
15_MILLION
New
Drives: blue motion 1.2 tdi

Post by 15_MILLION »

Hi
Sizzly94 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:56 pm Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can give myself any advice on an issue that has been occuring with my VW Polo since I purchased it off a private seller Feb 2022.

For context; This is the first car I have purchased since passing my test. I had no issues with the car for the first couple weeks after buying. The car has done 100k miles and had good service history, well looked after, parts/tyres changed when needed.

The issue I am having is that my DPF light is coming on between 7-10 days. I understand that if I am mainly doing short journeys, then the DPF is not getting to temps/has enough time in the journey to begin a regeneration. However, days before the light comes on, the car begins to judder, sometimes quite bad, when I'm maintaining speeds of 20/30mph. There is also a delay from when I put my foot on the accelerator pedal, and the car actually accelerating (about 0.5 secs). After 2-3 days of juddering here and there whilst driving, the DPF light eventually comes on. Once I take my car on the motorway (following instructions and advice of the community pages on official VW site) the car behaves normally for another couple days/upto a week. I am roughly doing 50-80 miles a week, which I know isnt a lot, and If I knew more about diesels/DPFs in the first place, would not have considered getting a diesel.

So I took it to a few garages. The first garage told me that I needed to simply drive the car on the motorway at least once a week to regenerate the DPF, and that with all the tests he did on my car, he could not find any faults. He did tell me, however, that the car should not be juddering, and that it could be a different issue altogether. For me it seems too conveneint that the juddering begins a couple days before the DPf light comes on, then suddenly stops as soon as I regenerate it? The second garage I took it too told me that they could not detect any faults with their diagnostic tools, and that I had 3 options...

He advised me to get the DPF professionally cleaned, which I did with a company called DPF fixer, a mobile DPF cleaning company. That cost me £330 and all the bloke did was pour some liquid in the DPF, let it settle for 45mins, then revved my engine to 3k revs in neutral for 40mins to blast all the foam out the exhaust. This has made 0 difference and a complete waste of money.

In short, all I am asking is for some advice/recommendations on what I should do next, whether to delete the DPF or replace, or whether anyone on here thinks that the issue is elsewhere with the car? The juddering is quite concerning, and for a driver who's only just recently passed their test, quite nerve-wracking.

Would really appreciate any/all responses and thank you very much for reading/helping!
Hi Sizzly,

Just read your post as I've also got dpf/egr issues on my polo so checking web for solutions, I thought I'd let you know that the juddering you mention is a known 'symptom' of the fraudulent vw dpf/egr system:

https://www.tuningblog.eu/en/categories ... er-367648/

.. I'm going to set up a new post on this forum though to discuss my particular issue..
15_MILLION
New
Drives: blue motion 1.2 tdi

Post by 15_MILLION »

Hi
Sizzly94 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:56 pm Hi all,

Hi Sizzly,

Just read your post as I've also got dpf/egr issues on my polo so checking web for solutions, I thought I'd let you know that the juddering you mention is a known 'symptom' of the fraudulent vw dpf/egr system:

https://www.tuningblog.eu/en/categories ... er-367648/

.. I'm going to set up a new post on this forum though to discuss my particular issue..
mirceaculita
Silver Member
Drives: 6R 1.2TDI 75hp

Post by mirceaculita »

The delay between stepping on the throttle and the car accelerating is not, in my opinion, related to the dpf since I have the same issue, but the dpf is just fine. I'm not sure what the problem is for this, some say the clutch/gas pedal sensor, some say the egr, some say it's the way vw mapped the gas pedal(although this might not be it, since it doesn't always happen. For me I've noticed more often during hot summer days)