How do I know if the car I am looking at has Android Auto/Carplay installed?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
KASIplz
New
Drives: None

How do I know if the car I am looking at has Android Auto/Carplay installed?

Post by KASIplz »

Hello! Could be a stupid question, but for three days I am now trying to find an answer online with no luck.

I was test driving a 2018 Polo GTI with "Discover Media" sat nav equipped, as well as "Car-Net for 3 years" amongst options but I couldn't get it to work with my Android phone to start Android Auto. The infotainment has "APP" button on the right side, there is only one USB port underneath the climate controls and the owner only ever used the built in VW navigation so couldn't help me with figuring if the Carplay/Android Auto is there and how to get it to work.

I have tried to figure it out looking everywhere, including at 2018 brochure to see available options but that still did not really lead me anywhere as only option that sounds familiar is "Car Net: App-Connect for Nav" which isn't really listed in that specific car option list, but then again the "Car-Net for 3 years" is which isn't in the brochure. Elsewhere I have seen that Discover Media comes with Carplay/Android Auto but that was on a different car.

Can you tell me how to tell if AA/Carplay is on board in this vehicle without me having access to it now? Also what is the "APP" button supposed to do? Also what is the difference between one and two USB ports situation?

Thanks!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: How do I know if the car I am looking at has Android Auto/Carplay installed?

Post by OomStu_ZA »

As far as I know it should work, check this video to see if it helps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0CxTv_hUgg
I know some phone cables can be finicky, use the correct USB cable too.
KASIplz
New
Drives: None

Re: How do I know if the car I am looking at has Android Auto/Carplay installed?

Post by KASIplz »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:12 am As far as I know it should work, check this video to see if it helps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0CxTv_hUgg
I know some phone cables can be finicky, use the correct USB cable too.
Thank you. Though I am still not sure I am pretty sure that worst case scenario it can be activated at a dealership.
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Post by Dazeredo »

I'm not sure if Android auto/Carplay can be activated, I think that the radio has it or not.
If you press the APP button and you see the same menu that you can see in the video, it should support.

Best solution is to have AA on your phone and ask to try it, just do the same steps of the video. I've done it to see what could be display in the digital cockpit from the phone ;)

Just a little advise, my phone at the time I got the car was slow for Android Auto and a lot of times took almost 5 minutes to start working. Good cables and phones are mandatory for a good AA experience.