Where to find a painted mirror cap?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Where to find a painted mirror cap?

Post by Dazeredo »

I had a misfortune today taking the car out, a very small touch at the garage dor was enough to the mirror cap fly out and break the supports...
I can easily find aftermarket ones but I was really looking for an used mirror cap in blue reef, shipped to Portugal. Someone knows here to get one?
Thanks!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Where to find a painted mirror cap?

Post by SRGTD »

In the UK car breakers / car dismantlers are a possible source of used car parts. I assume you have car breakers in Portugal; if so, you could try contacting some - or check out their websites - to see if they’ve dismantled any accident damaged reef blue Polos and have the mirror caps for sale.

Alternatively, you could search for a used genuine OEM mirror cap in a different colour and get it repainted Reef Blue by a car body shop. On the basis it’s a small item, it hopefully wouldn’t be too expensive to get repainted. The more expensive option would be to buy a new mirror cap from a VW dealer. These will come primed ready for painting, so it’d still be necessary to get it painted Reef Blue to match your car.
Dazeredo
Bronze Member

Post by Dazeredo »

A blue polo in Portugal is more rare than an unicorn and I was avoiding the hustle of painting.
The car breakers here that have this model only sell the complete mirror assembly. I need to search a bit more.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I recall ordering a set of carbon fibre mirror caps from VW SA a few years ago, and once they arrived VW here fitted them for me for free too. Have you considered speaking to your local VW dealer there?
Dazeredo
Bronze Member

Post by Dazeredo »

I already called them but the parts department didn't answer the phone, waiting to them to call back (as said by the receptionist).
Dazeredo
Bronze Member

Post by Dazeredo »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:19 am I recall ordering a set of carbon fibre mirror caps from VW SA a few years ago, and once they arrived VW here fitted them for me for free too. Have you considered speaking to your local VW dealer there?
They call back, 56€ for the cap, 65€ for the paint.

I found one from the UK for 50€ but with postage and brexit fees it will be at least 75€ :(

For now I did some DIY with epoxy and double tape for mirrors. Hope that give me some time to find a cheaper solution :D

PS: Doesn't seems but I washed the car 2 days ago but there is a lot of dust in the air here and it rained yesterday :oops:
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Slawa wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:33 pm I have even the most blonde blonde who does not know the multiplication table is trained to rewrite the VIN of the car. I just don't talk or troll.
If you cannot dial 17 numbers and letters on the Internet, get the code of the necessary details for free or for a fee, and only then go online and write articles.
17.06.png
I am receiving a lot of complaints about your, let's say, blunt type of communication. The people on the forum are not technicians, highly trained mechanics and many of us don't have a PhD in mathematics. Please adjust your communication style. Thank you!
KayakerPaul
Getting There!
Drives: R line - if it arrives

Post by KayakerPaul »

Dazeredo - if you have clear gorilla tape ,or can get some , this will offer more protection for you on top of the glue. (with water and dust)
And as it`s clear, it shouldn`t look too bad at all.
Dazeredo
Bronze Member

Post by Dazeredo »

KayakerPaul wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:25 am Dazeredo - if you have clear gorilla tape ,or can get some , this will offer more protection for you on top of the glue. (with water and dust)
And as it`s clear, it shouldn`t look too bad at all.
Thanks for the tip. The epoxy is very good with plastic but with heat it breaks sometimes, I will try to get that tape.
iichel

Post by iichel »

Slawa wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:03 pm
iichel wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:21 am
Slawa wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:33 pm I have even the most blonde blonde who does not know the multiplication table is trained to rewrite the VIN of the car. I just don't talk or troll.
If you cannot dial 17 numbers and letters on the Internet, get the code of the necessary details for free or for a fee, and only then go online and write articles.
17.06.png
I am receiving a lot of complaints about your, let's say, blunt type of communication. The people on the forum are not technicians, highly trained mechanics and many of us don't have a PhD in mathematics. Please adjust your communication style. Thank you!
Can you provide me with complaints where I deceived someone or how you demanded 50 Euros in a personal? Can you tell me one option, who gave their VIN and I did not give a complete set or advice for free?
There are no identical cars, they are a little similar, and if the difference from birth is 6 months, then this is a different car.
I am asking you something. I am not asking you to criticize me or my profession. You are free to refuse my suggestions. Just let me know.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

In the OP's position, I would probably be looking to order a set of painted copy wing mirror caps from the likes of Alex pressing in a gloss black or Silver (Silver would look very Golf R)
iichel

Post by iichel »

I am not having a discussion with you, I am telling you to stop lecturing people and to be polite to them.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Slawa, I don't know if it is your translator you are using or just a difference in "how we behave to others in society" in different countries of the world, but I have noticed that you could easily be causing others offence, remember as has been said already, this is a VW motoring forum used mainly by people that own and try to to some simple repairs on their car, ie we are, I hope, part of a motoring community trying to help each other.

Yes at times there comes along someone or 2 or 3 folks that like to think that they are now here and have taken control, that has happened in this section a few times but things have quietened down again - I think.

So yes so people will appear to be stupid, but given them the benefit of doubt and a bit of help does no harm, if and when they go into complete " stupider than stupid" mode, then I tend to walk away.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Dazeredo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:38 am A blue polo in Portugal is more rare than an unicorn and I was avoiding the hustle of painting.
The car breakers here that have this model only sell the complete mirror assembly. I need to search a bit more.
I have been in this situation with my wife's 2015 Polo with silver mirror caps, I bought the primed cover new from VW and bought a twin can pack of paint and lacquer from VW - and attempted to paint the new cover myself. Due to the complex shape of that mirror cap and my lack of experience in using spray cans, I did not end up making a very good job of it, but at a distance it looks okay. So I took to ebay and after a few weeks found an Audi dealership selling off a brand new unused mirror cap primed, so I'm ready to get a paint shop to paint it for me sometime - so far 18 months I have not completed this task.

The internet can end up being a place to find a painted mirror cap in your colour for your car - but you really can't rely on that happening within a fixed time period, the cost of paint is shocking, though if you are unable to use spray can yourself, you have no other option, other than to buy in aftermarket contrasting coloured ones - and be different. My wife used to have a silver 2002 VW Polo, and cars of that age had an issue with the boot handle paintwork coming off due to the alloy handle corroding - when I needed to sort out that problem, I found a genuine painted brand new boot handle on ebay - the reason that it existed painted in the correct colour unused on ebay I can't explain, but in that case, to my surprise, ebay worked for me!

Good luck!
Dazeredo
Bronze Member

Post by Dazeredo »

Thanks RUM4MO. Painting really is expensive bit, meanwhile I've got a quote from my dealership and painting is more expensive than the cap (65 and 56€).
I've found a cap from an Audi A1 (seems being the same) in the right color in the UK but with postage and costoms fees it's only a bit cheaper that the local dealership. For now I'll use the "repaired" cap and see if something less expensive appears.

Slawa, I know the parts number, they are in the stickers, no need to use a VIN this time.
My previous car was a Mazda 2 and they have the same part code for different parts for different year model of the same model, so lots of times having a VIN isn't the solution (I know the parts numbers and variations better than the Mazda dealership)