Beats audio sounds system settings

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Kapellmeister
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Beats audio sounds system settings

Post by Kapellmeister »

I've done 1000km in my new Polo GTI (2022 model) - but still not entirely satisfied with the Beats speakers. Looking to hear from you about what settings have worked for you to get the most out of it.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Beats audio sounds system settings

Post by SRGTD »

I don’t have the Beats audio system in my car (pre-facelift GTI+). I didn’t go for it, primarily for the following reasons;
  • I’d had the Dynaudio system in a mk6 Golf and was somewhat underwhelmed by it and never really found the ideal settings for the type of music I listen to. Also, I found that it was necessary to have the volume turned up quite loud to notice much of a difference between the Dynaudio system and the standard system, and loud music isn’t really my thing these days.
  • I’ve read that the Beats system is very bass-heavy and I don’t like high levels of bass. Also, with the Polo having hard plastic door cards, the combination of heavy bass with hard plastic trim increases the chances of getting unwanted interior trim rattles and vibrations that can be very difficult - if not impossible to track down and eliminate.
  • The interior of a car isn’t the best listening environment for music because of the intrusion of other noise sources - e.g. wind, engine, tyre and passenger noise.
  • I listen mainly to digital radio in the car these days, and I find the standard system pretty good for DAB.
I think that any person’s ‘ideal’ settings will be influenced by their music preferences and preferred listening volume, so it’s very likely that another person’s ideal settings might not work for you. Also, the best settings for one particular music genre are unlikely to be the ideal settings for other genres, so if your music tastes are varied, then you may need to change the settings quite often. Also bear in mind that with new speakers, it can sometimes take a while for them to bed in (not sure how long that is though), and then the speaker sound quality should improve.

Apologies that this doesn’t really answer your question, but I’d suggest you continue to persevere and experiment with different settings and hopefully you’ll find the best settings for you.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

As SRGTD said, it will be down to the type of music and personnal hearing ability.

Rock music for example the bass will feel less prominent than a dance track.

For me though, with wired carplay at basically max listening volume, i have gone with;

Bass -8
Mid +1
Treble -1

Fade balance backward two notches.

The bass is still quite strong even on that setting (i think the consensus is that this is the case with beats systems). In my head that hopefully reduced the amount of bass being pushed through the mids as well (maybe wrong thinking but works for me).
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member

Post by ad_182_uk »

Why is there no ‘subwoofer’ slider on the EQ in the polo? Seen other models have it?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

ad_182_uk wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:16 pm Why is there no ‘subwoofer’ slider on the EQ in the polo? Seen other models have it?
Perhaps VW feel the lack of features such as this helps them explain the price difference between the optional Beats audio system in the Polo and the more expensive audio upgrade systems in other VW models (e.g. the Beats system in the Polo is around 2/3rds the price of the Harman Kardon system in the mk8 Golf). I know there’ll also be other, more significant differences that account for the price difference between the lower cost Beats system in the Polo and more expensive audio upgrade systems used in other VW’s, such as number / quality of speakers and power output. Incidentally, the optional Harman Kardon system in the Golf has been dropped (temporarily?) because of the wider semiconductor supply issue.

Maybe it’s possible to activate the subwoofer slider in the EQ settings through coding changes? Perhaps some of the forum members who are knowledgeable on coding changes for the AW model Polo will confirm whether or not it can be done.
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

ad_182_uk wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:07 am As SRGTD said, it will be down to the type of music and personnal hearing ability.

For me though, with wired carplay at basically max listening volume, i have gone with;

Bass -8
Mid +1
Treble -1

The bass is still quite strong even on that setting (i think the consensus is that this is the case with beats systems). In my head that hopefully reduced the amount of bass being pushed through the mids as well (maybe wrong thinking but works for me).
I'm no audiophile but I do like to listen to quality sounding audio, I have consistently been disappointed with the sound quality from the BEATS audio, the best I have found is everything neutral except for the fader 4 clicks back. I have tried the settings above and it sounded much worse! Just my opinion though.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

TheRacingRat wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:21 pm
ad_182_uk wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:07 am As SRGTD said, it will be down to the type of music and personnal hearing ability.

Bass -8
Mid +1
Treble -1

I'm no audiophile but I do like to listen to quality sounding audio, I have consistently been disappointed with the sound quality from the BEATS audio, the best I have found is everything neutral except for the fader 4 clicks back. I have tried the settings above and it sounded much worse! Just my opinion though.
As per my earlier post in this thread, I was disappointed with the Dynaudio system in my mk6 Golf so didn’t bother to pay extra for the Beats upgrade in my GTI+. IMHO the standard system is pretty good for DAB radio channels, and that’s what I mainly listen to these days.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member

Post by ad_182_uk »

Tbh I have dialled all mine back to neutral except for 2 clicks back and 1 down on bass.

One other thing. If at 85-90% volume the rear speakers cut out after about 40mins. The rear ones are pretty pathetic tbh…
Kapellmeister
New

Post by Kapellmeister »

ad_182_uk wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:16 pm Why is there no ‘subwoofer’ slider on the EQ in the polo? Seen other models have it?
There is a subwoofer slider on the EQ in my Polo GTI (2022 uplift model).
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member

Post by ad_182_uk »

Kapellmeister wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:40 pm
There is a subwoofer slider on the EQ in my Polo GTI (2022 uplift model).
Do you have the bigger infotainment screen with no physical buttons too?

Hopefully someone will pop up and say they know how to code it for the pre-facelift!
Kapellmeister
New

Post by Kapellmeister »

ad_182_uk wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:59 am Do you have the bigger infotainment screen with no physical buttons too?

Hopefully someone will pop up and say they know how to code it for the pre-facelift!
I do have the bigger discovery pro infotainment system. I should add that I live in Australia, and the Polos here only allow two upgrades, a sunroof and a sound&vision package (which is the Beats speakers plus the discovery pro infotainment system).

When I turn on the car, there is a Beats logo that appears on the main console. Could be that cars configured for the UK didn't include an upgrade to the EQ settings....?
Kapellmeister
New

Post by Kapellmeister »

Happier with the Beats audio now, have set all EQ settings to zero, and shifted the sound slightly to the back.

I spent last week driving a rental Hyundai Kona, and the speakers were total garbage - helps appreciate my Beats speakers a lot more.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member

Post by ad_182_uk »

Kapellmeister wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:55 am Happier with the Beats audio now, have set all EQ settings to zero, and shifted the sound slightly to the back.

I spent last week driving a rental Hyundai Kona, and the speakers were total garbage - helps appreciate my Beats speakers a lot more.
Does your boot look like this with what appears to be some sort of sound deadening?

upload pic
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Post by Dazeredo »

That seems a dealer installation, at least my polo that is also blue and with beats doesn't have any kind of sound deadening on the trunk.
Philip GTI
New
Drives: Gti

Post by Philip GTI »

When I first got the car and started it up the “Gti “logo and then the “beats audio “ came up in the infotainment screen
Now it just goes straight to Apple car play
Any ideas why it no longer says gti then beats ( I liked that!)
Thanks