New GTI dynamic cornering lights

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
jaz
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI

New GTI dynamic cornering lights

Post by jaz »

The description on the web site is 'Matrix LED headlights with automatic headlight control, dynamic cornering lighting'

For the life of me I can't work out what dynamic cornering lighting actually does or if it's just not working.

On my previous R-Line it had the static cornering lights which would just turn on the relevant fog light at slow speed.

Other cars I have had the active lights that would turn when steering.

These IQ lights don't appear to do either with or without the main beams on, slow or fast. I can't see anything in the manual or any options in the car settings.

The GTI has those two 'fog lights' on each side that seem to just be on all the time your lights are on so they don't do the cornering function.

Anyone have any ideas?
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: New GTI dynamic cornering lights

Post by lancslad1985 »

I had a golf gtd with what I think were dynamic cornering xenon’s. When I approached a corner and turned the wheel, the lights would move with the wheel and bend around the corner so to speak. Unless it was very dark with no street lights you never really saw it though. Could be something similar?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@lancslad1985; you just beat me to it, but great minds think alike! 🙂👍.

I had the dynamic cornering function on a mk6 Golf GTD with xenon headlamps. In that car, when you turned the steering wheel either to the left or right, the headlamp beam would also move either to the left or right - I think the sideways movement was about 15 degrees from the straight ahead position. You could certainly notice it when driving quite slowly after dark in areas with no street lighting; you noticed it much less in well lit areas or when travelling at speed. Also on start up, the headlamps would perform a self-checking function for automatic levelling/height adjustment and dynamic cornering and you could see the headlamp beams sweep up and down and side to side. The LED headlamps on my pre-facelift Polo GTI+ also go though a self-checking procedure for automatic levelling/height adjustment and the headlamp beam moves up and down on start up (it doesn’t perform a dynamic cornering check as the car only has static cornering lights). I have no idea if the latest IQ Matrix LED headlamps work in the same way though - maybe the dynamic sideways movement of the headlamp beam when you turn the wheel is quite subtle and you don’t really notice it?

As for the fog lights being permanently illuminated; what position do you have the rotary light switch set at? If it’s set to ‘Auto’, then it’s possible the light switch has also been pulled outwards to the first position which is how the front fog lights are switched on. If so, then the front fogs will come on every time your headlights are illuminated, and the fog light symbol to the left hand side of the light switch will also be illuminated in green. To stop the front fog lights being permanently on with the headlights, just push the light switch in.
jaz
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI

Post by jaz »

Thanks, the lights just do the up/down on startup and not the side to side. All the info on the VW website related to the xeons only so I assume it's a different style of operation.

As for the fog lights the rotary switch on has the one click pull out for the rears and not the two position the R-Line had... I assume they think 'boy racers' have them on all the time anyway !! All the publicity shots, videos and YouTube reviews have them all the time. I think the same applies to the Golf GTi/e/d.